Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tory MP stabbed to death while conducting surgery for constituents

Options
1235»

Comments

a common tactic of all extremist idealogies, from communism to born again churches looking for their tithe from lonely people away from home in the big city

The BBC has gone so far downhill in the last 30 years. A shadow of it's former self.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The best that the Islamic terrorists can muster is a a lad with a knife so dont be worrying about major European countries falling to Islam.

I don't know if you are trying to stoke stuff or actually believe this but it's nothing more than conspiracy ramblings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Centres of worship were views promoting violence, especially murder, are given or disseminated need to be closed and the preachers and/or board of management held to account.

Such an act would see many English cities go up in flames the first Friday after closures.

The police couldn't manage it.

Ffs. The hyperbole and attempting to put word in my mouth to paint me as the extremist. No we should not strike first or wipe them out. We should be vigilant to the potential, see through the soft soap propaganda and take reasonable steps to mitigate against future potential jihad attacks. This does not include invading islamic countries. Their home, their rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

But I think that's the problem, "their home" "our home". We need a secular state, we need a strong rule of human law that is enforced impartially. If I could make our leadership into an artificial intelligence I would. We should be indifferent to their culture and beliefs, that's their business, we have rules to participate in our society that are secular and practical, if they want to be here they must follow them and noone will bother them. And most do comply with this simple principle. The vast majority. We shouldn't sensationalize these people who commit barbarism, they are just criminals, same as any common killer.

Im with you on the very last part. NATO need to stop bombing these countries and let them sort themselves out. It only leads to further radicalization and countries like the UK are only gonna see more off duty soldiers and Maps stabbed until the figure this out.

The IRA called Bloody Sunday their greatest ever recruitment coup and the British still haven't figured this out 50 years later

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Without commenting upon the moral issues behind it, I would observe that the time before that it worked quite well and was implemented by both the UK and Irish governments in the 1950s. You will recall the internment camp in the Curragh, in operation 1957-1959. There are assessments out there as to why the one worked and the other didn't.

It's worth noting that (after the camp was shut down), the incident was taken to the European Court of Human Rights in 1961, Lawless v Ireland. The government won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I have said this before but anybody using the northern Irish experience of internment as an example to argue against hard measures in relation to violent Islamists doesn't realize what they are actually saying.

In internment the IRA benefited because Catholics generally believed in their goals but not their methodology. With internment it signalled how harsh the British government could be and the fact that the democratic process wouldn't achieve the goals.

If you say that this would occur if jihadis were interned your saying the Islamic population general agrees with their goals but they just don't like their methods. It that's the case there is big problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Why would you have that opinion, bit quick to judge when we dont have all the information yet. The MP was a backbencher and a career politician since 1983, did a lot of good work in his constituency Leigh -on Sea according to all British media outlets.

Police in the UK are treating the murder as terrorist related with the heritage of the suspect being confirmed as Somalian but a British passport holder. Possibly a lone wolf situation as Police are not seeking anyone else in relation to the murder.

Its only a matter of time before we have some sort of incident here in Ireland as we have thousands of un- documented who are already living with no idea where they came. You only have to look what is happening in this country with un- controlled immigration. North Earl Street in Dublin is daily a meeting point for a large amount of Roma gyspies who do not add any value to this country.

The EU has a lot to answer for, maybe Ireland should follow down the road of UK and leave the EU at some stage in the future.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/15/uk/uk-mp-stabbed-intl-gbr/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Padraig178

NATO countries have bombed Libya, Syria and Somalia in the past 10 years. That's just examples off the top of my head and there may be more

The US are currently bombing Somalian militias.

On the Syria and Libya bombing many dissenting voices in UK parliament said this would only lead to a worsening of terror attacks and refugees not stop them. Personally I feel they were proven right again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If the West left the ME and never stepped foot there again, none of this would stop. I think posters like yourself know that though, you're just so motivated by blaming interference in the ME as the sole reason for terrorism that you'll never drop that argument.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I don't think they would stop killing each other but I don't see why they would bother target those countries if they were not getting involved.

Spain, France, Belgium, UK and the US all have high profile terrorist attacks but they did not come out of nowhere. All were engaged in conflicts during or just before.

Take Lee Rigby, I think being shocked by his death is about the same as being shocked that the Germans carried out the blitz

Ide love if intervention could help and if it was as simple as rocking up and winning the war like WWII but it just won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP

A Somalian refugee immigrant Islamic I believe the culprit?

Libya and Syria when first bombed were secular arab nationalist/fascist governments. Somalia was a failed state

Why does it matter whether or not Somalia was a failed state. Does having a bomb dropped on you feel different if it's a failed or not failed state ?

Dropping bombs on people increases the risk of retaliation and radicalization I don't see why that is such a wild concept

but the bombing of libya and syria was in favour of islamists against a secular alternative, so poor examples of Nato bombing Muslims. The bombing in Libya was in favour of islamists, whose members later bombed a childrens' concert in Manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Yes. There have been 7 MPs murdered in last century.

1 by Neo-Nazis terrorists

1 by Islamic terrorist

5 by Irish republican terrorists

all cowardly, all horrific and all by those who didn’t believe in democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great summary by Sargon on this clip from the Lotuseaters podcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This week Ali Harbi Ali has received a whole life term sentence for the murder of David Amess.

A whole life sentence means no minimum term set and will never be released. Proper order, as my dad would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Advertisement