Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Removing stubborn black build up from shotgun bore.

Options
  • 14-10-2021 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Gun: Baikal O/U

I shot alot of clays recently and stupidly left it 3 or so days before I gave the gun a clean with my gun oil and bore snake but after several attempts some stubborn black looking residue continues to stick to inside of barrell.

I'm thinking of ordering a brush cleaning kit instead of snake to be able to give insides more of a consistent brushing I feel the snake is just running through more than anything.

Any recommendations on special oil or anything or anyone else run into this problem and how to solve it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

First off, and not trying to be a dick, bin the snake. They're an "emergency" pull through tool but not a proper cleaning item. Every bit of dirt from the first pull through gets embedded and you're pulling that crap through each time you use it. Plus they have nowhere near the same cleaning ability as a proper kit.

Get a shotgun cleaning kit with proper brushes, jags, and either a single piece or two piece rod. Steer clear of the three piece ones.

As for chemicals. KG 1 is a brilliant carbon remover. Soak a patch and run it through the bore and depending on where it is inside the bore I'd consider spraying it directly onto the carbon stain. Let it sit for a bit (don't work on it immediately, let the chemicals do their job). Aggitate with a nylon brush (try avoid using steel brushes, personal choice of course) then soak again. Finally wipe through with soaked patch. Repeat as necessary until the stain is gone.

One last tip. Keep the bore "wet" for as long as you're cleaning as allowing it to dry or using dry patches will mop up any chemicals that can continue to work.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭JP22

+1 with Cass on bore snakes.

Yuch, ugly useless buggers, complete rubbish. They are only fit for the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

Thanks guys great information and will get rid of snake and get proper cleaning kit immediately and see how I get on.

I suspected as much with the bore snake it's just sliding through not exactly doing much.

I will get to it and report back with good news of a shiny bore hopefully.

You won't go wrong and they're cheap as chips. Between €15 to €30 for a kit and say a tenner for the kg1. Any carbon remover will do, and there are plenty out there, but getting them in Ireland is tricky. Don't go for copper cleaners thinking they'll do, they won't. You need adedicated carbon cleanrr. You can try a motor factors, but be very careful about using such chemicals around your barrels as they may damage yuo're bluing so be careful.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

I couldnt find the KG 1 in Ireland but this seems to have good reviews.

Is this a carbon cleaner aswell?

• Advertisement

Its a general purpose cleaner designed to rmeove both copper and carbon. I've used it before and its quite good. Its not a harsh solvent so you might need to apply it a couple of times. A tip would be to remove the barrels of the shotgun, plug the end of them, then use the foam. Take care the foam does not spew up over the top and run down the outside (protect the bluing just in case) then leave them to sit, standing vertically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Try car break and clutch cleaner, great for removing carbon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I wouldn't get rid of the snakebore.

I have one in a pocket on the side of my shooting bag.

Each day when I finish shooting and return to the car I run the snake bore through the barrel a few times.

It removed all the heavy fouling and lots of the dirt immediately, while fresh.

When I get home sometime later (could be a few hours) I clean the gun properly with a brush, rod and jags...easy and quick to clean then as most of the heavy stuff has already been removed by the snake bore and had not been allowed to soak in and harden.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭JP22

Good man JR, cleaning immediately after shooting while barrel is slightly warm makes a thorough cleaning later on real easy. Cleaning 101, I learnt that lesson over 35 years in Defence Forces.

However, IMHO the big mistake is using a bore snake unless you also clean it thoroughly. Bore snakes are fine for shotguns but I would never ever use one in a high end accurate rifle or any rifle for that matter.

Over time the snake soaks up crud (unburnt powder/chemicals/oils etc) and all this soaks into the snake. I have seen some so bad they felt like sandpaper, I doubt anyone would pull sandpaper through their barrel.

By all means clean, but please dump the snake in the bin and use a rod or old fashioned pull-through with brushes/patches.

We all have our bug-bears; bore snakes (useless buggers) are one of mine. 

Advertisement