Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What did they give you, a free months credit or more than that? Not sure if I want to get into battle with them just to get 7.99 of credit. Agree it is a shambles and they definitely know of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Oh I don't want to get your hopes up, they just credited me with what I lost. I didn't have the will to push it forward as I used to contact them every second day. In fairness to the customer support it was outside their control I felt. Every 2 days I would just get the same from them and then all of a sudden it started working even though I had not changed any settings. This confirmed by suspicion that there was some config updated in the back end. What was very worrying for me was how long it took for them to get this done.

The more I think of it the Comreg was is what I should have done. I saw they took (what appeared to be quite serious) action against Vodafone recently. Are 48 high enough profile for Comreg to do this?

Very strange that it suddenly began working without you changing any settings, definitely seems they did something in the background that they hadnt done before.

Comreg act as an intermediary between customer and phone company. I used them before when Vodafone left me without working internet for almost 2 months. In the end I got half price internet for the remainder of the contract which was 16 months worth so it was worth doing as it saved me just under 370 euro over the remainder of the 24 month contract. You have to complain to the phone company first though and give them a chance to resolve it, if they dont then you can escalate it to Comreg. None of which is much use when you are abroad there and then and dont have roaming, Comreg allow a company 21 days to respond when you complain to them so it is not a quick process. Id imagine as well that a phone company would only offer minimal compensation for you not being able to roam for a few days on holiday, it probably wouldnt be worth the hassle.

This was more than a week though. I am due to possibly travel at short notice again (with work) and I am worried about them letting me down again. The thing is that as I WFH most of the time I use the BB at home even for most calls (WA/Signal/Facetime) so I am not overly reliant on the mobile network that often so having a cheap tariff like this suits me fine.

yeah Im similar, Im running both my phone and router off 48 sims. For 2 x 7.99 a month its a bargain for all my phone and internet usage. I was paying 45 a month to Vodafone for their mobile router and broadband so 48 is a big saving in comparison and the router I spent 110 quid on has more than paid for itself by now. Plus Im getting slightly faster speeds than I was on Vodafone.

But its just the roaming thats the worry. When I go abroad next I'll get all the possible APN settings from this thread and the one on 48s Community forum but I'll also be fully prepared to buy a local sim if I have to. Even if it costs a tenner for a few days data its still better than being left stranded.

But in your case you are travelling for work so you really need certainty. Id say it would be worth your while getting a PAYG Vodafone or Three sim before travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Is everyone that had trouble roaming using Android, or are iPhone users affected too?

I’m due to travel next month and don’t want to be left without data while I’m away but I’m using an iPhone and the only APN settings I have are 48months.liffeytelecom.com for APN and personal hotspot. I don’t have any of the other options that Android phones have so was wondering is this only an Android problem?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

In your situation, 5GB data for €5 per 28 days on Vodafone PAYG may be a better option. It certainly is for me.

good call. Can you just get those sims over the counter in a Vodafone shop or does it involve registering with them online and having it posted out? Think I'll get one before the next trip abroad instead of the uncertainty of 48 and having to sit down on arrival messing around with APN settings that might not work anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭KildareP

If your phone can take an eSIM then you can sign up on vodafone.ie and be working away in about 20 minutes.

phone is about 3 years old (Redmi 5) so I dont think it does eSims, at least I dont remember seeing on the specs before. I presume eSims are for new enough phones but how would I check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

The esim is built into the phone itself, Redmi 5 doesn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Redmi 5 is probably dual sim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Anyone left 48 to An Post Mobile, and noticed an improvement in data?

before I switched to 48 I tried a few sims, and there wasn't much of a difference in speed and coverage. But now I'm on 48, the data seems slow and unreliable. I couldn't use it as temporary hotspot to get my work emails. Its just too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Why the assumption that gomo or the other cheapos would provide better roaming?

3 own the 48 network.3 is the 2nd largest operator in the Republic-high profile enough.But would Comreg hide behind the legal seperation of 3 and 48?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've used both this last month, and while I could get a reasonable roaming service (phone calls, texts and data) with GoMo, I could not with 48. Mind you, Vodafone was acting up quite badly, too.

Has anyone before they have travelled recently got onto 48 in advance to see if they are any known issues in the country they will be travelling to?

Traveled to Portugal in August and when I got there I had barely no signal which kept dropping in and out. I had no data at all and spent hours of the first night trying to get my data to work. I found by switching to international profile in settings through network selection and it worked. This was after checking my APN settings as well It was a pain though. I had the impression it would automatically switch over when I landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Thanks for the info. I’ve been with most of the networks over the years and have never had a problem with roaming. Always just connects to a local network.

I’m glad I saw this thread though and I’ve got a Vodafone eSIM set up on my phone for if 48 (likely) doesn’t work.

I noticed the 48 SIM is showing as Proximus (which seems to be a Belgian network) in the SIM settings. Whereas Vodafone shows it’s a Vodafone SIM.

I had a brief chat with CS before I departed for Portugal asking if there were any settings I needed to know before travelling. I did this becasue I had similar problems with Gomo in 2018 when in Spain, Gomo sorted that out but it involved setting up a new APN and about a 30 minute call. The agent on the 48 chat told me it would work automatically which it then didnt upon landing in Portugal and despite an hour and a half on chat with them I never got it working for the few days I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 urbancowboy

I have roamed in the UK and Spain in the last few weeks. For the UK there was no reconfiguration needed just connected to O2 UK. Spain I just had to add the 48 APN as it was set to Belgacom. I just setup a new 48 APN: 48months.liffeytelecom.com and left everything else blank. Saved and clicked the button. Worked straight away with no need to reboot. Connected to Vodafone ES. 3mbps down and 1mbps up. Calls and text also worked ok. As mentioned earlier on the thread if using a dual SIM the Vodafone Ireland 5GB add-on works flawlessly. I have it as an esim on a pixel. €5 for 5GB (verified working in UK and Spain straight out of the blocks) Going abroad in a few weeks so can update of the roaming works straight off on 48 as I have saved the APN to the roaming profile

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

friends were abroad and were with gomo, had no issues and 4G. You dont even get 4G abroad with 48

You will get 4G when they feel like providing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

You're taking this very personal by the sounds of it. Are you ok bud? Feeling lost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Hi All,

I didnt top up my account for a few months but went to reactivate it today, but it shows my email as invalid and I cant log in to reactivate my account. Is the account just gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

any one else internet intermittent today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does anyone know if there is a way to add roaming data? I’ve used my 10Gb and have tried the spot me and swop options but it doesn’t seem to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭lordsheepface

When you login to the 48 website there is an option to buy 1GB data addon for €3

Thanks. That will be for roaming will it? I do have 85Gb left for the month but have used my 10GB. I swooped some minutes for 3 GB but I don’t think you can use any of that for roaming.

• Advertisement

I bought this add on (1GB for €3) but it’s not allowing me to use it for roaming.

Advertisement