Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART coming to Maynooth line in 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭knockoutned

I don't think this is necessarily true. As I keep pointing out, there are 120,000 people living in D15. That's a lot of people moving around. I appreciate that this information is old, and someone may be able to find more updated data, but if you look at the section covering how far we travelled, 42.2% of all journeys was less than 4km, while 53% was less than 6km. Of all journeys reviewed, 74.8% were by private car (I understand that the total by car will include the majority of longer distances and the shorter distances will include walking, bus, cyling, however, I still believe that the majority of shorter journeys are by car). You tackle these journeys and you'll reduce the traffic in any area.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-nts/nts2016/keyf/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The posters who've never set foot in D15 stand out a mile. Bus Connects won't make any difference to anything.

Aside from the fact that people are never going to take two buses to go about their daily suburban business of school runs, shopping and going to the gym, closing all these crossings actively militates against Bus Connects.

The Fr Troy bridge was never built to be the only crossing point of the canal. It is a single lane in both directions and there is no way to widen it. What that means is pouring a load of extra cars into it will play havoc with the buses too. The Granard Bridge at Castleknock was built for horses and carriages so it's even worse. If there is no pressure release valve available in being able to take a different crossing, one broken down car will throw the entire place, buses and cars alike, into chaos.

IE want to close the crossings because it makes life easier for them. I absolutely see their point, but the trade-off for everyone else is pretty significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The elephant in the room is till all the traffic issues are primarily at peak. Off peak there's mostly no problems moving around D15 in a car. If you do your shopping and going to the gym at peak you're choosing the worst time to go. You're causing your own problems. There's no issue doing this in a car off peak. Similarly transporting kids to school by car is societal problem. Its multifaceted. But essentially we've normalized that. That's a problem because we've made it a problem.

As far as I can see that survey is not capturing the traffic going through one area to the next. So traffic from elsewhere that comes through Dublin 15 is not captured. So if you survey people in Dublin 15 about traffic, you'll get a distorted stats of journeys times. The traffic on all borders of D15 is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

A new bridge is part of DART+ West, to replace the Barberstown LC. Another new bridge will be built by FCC across the Dunboyne rail line connecting to Ongar. They will provide an alternative route for traffis to west D15 and east Meath.

Another new bridge was offered as part of DART+ West but was rejected. It is the people who chose this trade-off, not IE.

• Advertisement

These new bridges are so far west that they're completely irrelevant to 90% of D15 inhabitants though.

The proposed replacement bridge at Coolmine was never viable. IE knew that and it was an underhand tactic to float it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chrisam

"The proposed replacement bridge at Coolmine was never viable. IE knew that and it was an underhand tactic to float it in the first place."

In fact IR were only floating it, as FCC have been trying to include it in the Fingal Development Plan, as far back as 2011. In fact, at the Clonsilla webinar, IR confirmed they were building the bridge at Barnwell, on behalf of FCC.

IR are looking after this project on behalf of the NTA, but FCC planners are drawing the maps.

The Fingal Development Plan includes local objectives to 1) prohibit a new bridge at the proposed location and 2) maintain the road crossing at the existing location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

These new bridges would be very useful to residents of Ongar, Clonee and Dunboyne, taking them away from D15, which is relevant to D15 inhabitants. Obviously all available capacity at DTB will get eaten up anyway but this will leave more of that capacity for D15 inhabitants/workers.

The proposed replacement bridge at Coolmine is still the most viable location, even if that location is ultimately not viable. They proposed what they could and it was rejected.

Leaving Coolmine open isn't going to provide any relief anyway, it will be closed most of the time at peak times so few will opt for it, the bridge will still take much the same level of traffic.

They'll also bring more traffic into D15 those heading towards city center in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

With the Coolmine bridge gone a good portion of the traffic from Carpenterstown heading for the M50 that might have joined the N3 inbound at Mulhuddart or Tractamotors will not be going over the canal at all and will prefer to join the N3 at Auburn Avenue via Beechpark Avenue. I would claim that that route is not appropriate for heavy traffic and is already a disaster in the mornings and evenings. But there's not much can be done about it as the M50 upgrade didn't/couldn't retain the ramp from N3/M50 roundabout to M50 Southbound making joining Southbound at The Bell pointless as you still have to turn round by the slip for River Road or the Parkway Station bridge. I saw mention of DART+ related traffic upgrades coming to the Park Lodge/Castleknock Road junction but I don't see scope for much of anything at the next junctions along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A Railway Order will easily override these non-binding objectives. They are really there to allow a councillor score votes.

All those routes are a disaster at peak.

Yes, I know. To be absolutely clear here - the post I was responding to said that building the new bridge between Stationcourt and Riverwood was a Fingal CoCo plan. I was just pointing out that this was absolutely not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

IE want to close the crossings so that we get the train service we deserve. The problem here is the people who objected to the alternatives.

The problem is people can't connect the problem of driving at peak is causing the traffic at peak. They are one and the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Daeltaja

I've been out driving a lot around Clonsilla/Dr Troy Bridge the past few weeks outside of rush hour/school rush and it's still hell.

You can type your D15 journey into Google maps and see how long it takes at different times of the day.

Rush hour isn't simply school times.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Oh Wow! You're a genius!!!

You've solved the world's traffic problems. Let's all not travel at peak times.

Why have I never though of that. I can drop my kids off late for school then arrive in late for work. Problem solved!!

The new bridge at Barberstown will help a little by removing passing traffic, but it won't help for most of D15, even clonsilla which is closest to it.

The proposed bridge at Riverwood was rejected by residents in two estates (with a little help from Leo), not by the people of D15. It's the obvious location for a new crossing and I hope it comes back on the cards. Sorry for the locals who live close to it, but Dublin 15 will come to a standstill if an alternative crossing can't be developed.

• Advertisement

Yet another ...

a) not a local journey

b) dependent on car use at peak

Any plan (personal or local authority) that relies on rat running through estates and back roads to bottlenecks and/or reliant on a bottlenecked level crossing. Is unsustainable going forward.

With D15 they've built a effectively a small city that's mostly reliant on cars. But with extremely poor road network to the city. They are slowly throttling all road links to the city. One bridge in the middle of it is not going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Polar101

That's not a great argument - just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they don't live in the area.

Right now, public transport in D15 is pretty poor. If you happen to live close to a train station, or your destination happens to be on the one bus route that passes close to your door, it's a bit better. If you head towards the city, the public transport is a decent option - going anywhere else, it's not great. With BusConnects, there will be more options with the new orbital lines - so you can get to other destinations than the ones on your existing radial bus line, easier. If you have working bus interchange stations such as the one that they'll build in Blanch SC, then people will absolutely take two buses to their destinations - they're just used to taking the one bus because that's been the only option. Because there's no way to reliably change to a different bus, and you have to pay twice.

Car traffic in the area is pretty much at saturation point. Public transport is at capacity too, but that can be expanded (car traffic generally can't, there's no more room for roads) - that's why we really need the Dart upgrade and a much better bus system. BusConnects isn't that much better a system, but at least it should be better than what is in place now. Cycling infrastructure is getting better too.

Location, location location.

"If you happen to live close to a..."

Granted there are practical constraints like budget, and such. But choosing to live within walking distance of a train or bus, or work or school for that matter, is usually not accidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Are people still afraid/embarrassed to sit beside stranger's on the train, I see lots of empty seats in the morning and more and more people standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It's funny because they're happier to stand in closer proximity to someone who is also standing instead of sitting beside someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

No, I'd say about 50% on the m3 docklands Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and 30% Monday Friday, and guessing the same for the maynooth line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I see FCC have rejected, quite strongly, the application for 99 apartments opposite the Old School House site. IE flagging that they were never consulted with by the applicants, and that it directly impacts Dart+ plans already released.

• Advertisement

How does it impact them? Just curious.

Advertisement