Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭galaxy12

Finally got an EO Mini Charger installed yesterday . Avoided messy cabling inside .Installer was able to find a route from fuse board to porch and out with almost no chasing for the cables .. can PM if anyone wants installer in D15 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Have scrolled through the thread but have some questions:

1. We have a very old ESB meter in the house, will an EV charger work with that? Pic attached. House was rewired a few years ago but the meter is still original.
    2. If we need a new meter what are our options? I know ESB are upgrading but god knows when they will reach us.
    3. We have an electric shower so will we need a priority device?
    4. How much is an install likely to cost extra based on the above?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I'm not an electrician but have just been through most of this.

1. The meter will need to be replaced, mostly because it won't be able to handle the amperage.
    2. Ring your electricity provider (or one you want to switch to) and tell them you want to go onto a day/night plan but need a day/night meter. They'll install it for free (and quickly!) and you'll want a day/night plan so you can charge the car cheaply at night.
    3. You want a charger with load balancing so that, if charging the car is going to cause an overload, the power going to the car is reduced temporarily to avoid that situation.
    4. A lot depends on whether the meter tails also need replacing and whether the earth outside your house is up to code. Also how difficult the wiring route is from the circuit board to where you want to mount your charger. And they probably need to do a periodic inspection (~€500) just to make sure the house can handle the charger. This is really a "how long is a piece of string" question but depending on what needs doing, figure €1,200 - €2,000 before the (€600) grant, including the cost of the charger itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

I just tried to book an installation for an EO Mini with KN through Electric Ireland. They claim that the rules have now changed back around installing the charger directly from the meter instead of the fuse box as there have been problems with these types of installations. Our fuse box is at the back of the house whereas the meter is at the front exactly where we want the charger. Has anyone heard of this change in rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

Hi galaxy12, could you send me over the details please? I’m in D15 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Purchased an ABB Terra AC wallbox type 2 which was installed three weeks ago. Delighted with it and the features on the App.

However, I've been chasing the installer for his Cert 3 Serial number and Safe Electric Test Record which i believe should be included in the Grant application.

If I send in the application will it get rejected? The Charger itself was > €600 so should be entitled to the grand regardless of the separate install fee?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

They'll reject it unless everything is complete & correct, including the electrician's certs.

• Advertisement

However, I've been chasing the installer for his Cert 3 Serial number and Safe Electric Test Record which i believe should be included in the Grant application.

Actually, the way you've worded that implies you haven't actually applied. Did you apply & get the letter of approval before getting the work done etc.?

Either way, you need the install certified & docs sent off to them i.e. you can't complete the process with just a receipt for the charge point.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

Hi

Have a Zappi original model tethered with a 5M type 1 lead,

used daily for last 4 years to charge my 24 Kw leaf

Is it possible to convert this to a type 2?

or to use it via an adapter to charge a type 2 EV?

Thanks

EDIT ***

Just found this on Amazon anyone used similar?

Post edited by 16hill16 on

Doesn’t look like the mains cables were upgraded when the Rewire was done. Did you get a certificate at the time.

I presume they will have to be upgraded now for an ev charger then? I'm guessing that's gonna add another chunk of €€€ to the job. Need to check on the certificate

Should have been upgraded with the rewire. Main cables probably aren’t big enough for your existing setup especially with an electric shower. It’ll need to be done before a charger can be added

Got a survey done today by one of the charging companies. Told I need

Meter tails upgrade

Periodic inspection

Some other earthing to gas

Basically doubling the cost of just charger and install. Going to shop around

did the surveyor issue a notice of potential hazard

See if you can contact the rec that originally did the job.did you find the certificate

if not the mains need to be upgraded along with the equipotential bonding and earth. Then a test of entire installation and a certificate issued to esbn to facilitate new mains connection into the meter. This will be a costly and time consuming process.

Didn't mention a potential hazard.

Need to contact the REC.

Yes he mentioned all of that would need to be done. Quoting around 2400 including the car charger also.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I had this exact scenario recently, and bought a replacement cable from Phil at https://www.electricautos.ie/. Got a local electrician to fit it. More expensive than the adapter you've shared, but not a huge difference, and probably a better job long term (despite losing the ability to charge a type 1 car).

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

We are looking at the EO units as point will be in a prominent position, the isolation switch I see mentioned might change our thoughts altogether. I’ve not seen them in other countries, is it a ireland only reg and is it a requirement even if charge point is run off main fuse box on it’s own RCB? What is the reasoning compared to any other outdoor socket?

Hi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The isolator is a uniquely Irish requirement as far as I know & a recent one too. I see no real benefit to them in a typical domestic install.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The "logic" of the requirement is that the power supply to the Charge point can be isolated without needing to gain access to the interior of the house etc. in case of emergency.

That's the argument anyway - The merits of said argument are up for debate however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭fafy

2nd full month stats for 2 EV’s both charged fully at home, bar 1 trip to Dublin. Adjusted for latest, electricity rate increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Hi,

have an ID4 ordered for January delivery so trying to do my research on the home charge points now. I’ve read through most of the thread but have a few questions if that’s ok.

Can you apply for the grant in advance of getting the car delivered?

what charger is recommended? I know I need a type 2. Want a nice clean looking charger, I’m seeing the EO mini mentioned several times here, is that a good option? Are people buying the chargers themselves or through a package with an installation company? Any recommendations where to buy?

recommendations for a good reasonably priced installer in Dublin 18 area? How much can I expect to pay over and above the grant of €600?

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Eo mini pro via electric Ireland , 1100 installed.

You can't apply for the grant without some info re the car I believe .

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

We will hopefully getting a new EV by January and are starting to look into chargers.

As per above the EV mini pro looks good and we are already with Electric Ireland.

We had a couple of dealers say you can get this charger, or this one is future proofed. What did they mean by future proofing, an is the EV mini pro that?

Any reason we shouldn't just get it done via electric Ireland? Seems to be a reasonable price.

Can the 5m tethered version be extended? WE think we might need more like 7-8m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I got a Zappi installed in the end. The crowd that fit it did a good job installing but not configuring it. Despite being one of the big names and well-recommended everywhere they were difficult to deal with as a company. Anyways, my issue is that the app isn't showing PV generation - only import and exporting. Would this mean the extra CT for generation isn't installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Dealers know less about EV chargers than they do about EV's, any type 2 charger will be fine.

You dont need to be an EI customer to get the EO, they sub it out to KN.

Dont think you can get the tethered one longer so get untethered and buy a 7m cable and leave it connected ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Would that make it easier to nick if it's untethered?

Any recommendations for where to get it from? Cheers!

Is there somewhere decent that could install a tethered point with over 5m cabling even if it's extra?

Advertisement