Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Have been looking at different chargers for ID3. I was looking at EO MINI PRO 2 but one company told me it needs a really strong WIFI connection to operate but recommend the Zappi which would cost me €730 after grant with install does this sound about right...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"Really Strong" is sort of meaningless TBH.

Go outside and stand where you plan to install the unit , if you can connect your phone to your home WIFI then you are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

I have very poor broadband <5MB and eo mini pro works fine with the router about 10m away through 2 walls and a floor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

This is an interesting solution that is being trialled in London for people with no off-street parking.

That big thing you connect to it though looks like it might be costly. Interesting all the same. It is, at least, addressing the problem of no off-street parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

And if not , buy a cheap WiFi repeater. That’ll extend the WiFi to the charger

• Advertisement

Am still waiting to get into the house so still haven't bought my charge point.

After going around and around in circles for a long time trying to figure out what kind of one to get, I'm thinking I'm going to get the most basic - dumbass socket. I just can't understand where the value lies in the 'smart ones'. I'll need load-balancing as house will have heat pump & electric showers but that's it.

My car has timed charging. Not sure what else we'll need. Anyone with any convincing points to move me off getting nothing more basic than a Qubev? https://ecarinfra.ie/products/qubev

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Is there a poll on which brand of charger people have had fitted? I’m wondering which ones are the most popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'd be of the same opinion. Keep the charge point simple. The car has a timer. Wifi & a display etc. could be problematic down the line.

That said, you need a current sensing type unit as these are preferable to a dumb on/off priority switch. There are a few options with that capability these days so I'd get the simplest one of those & try to get a tethered unit if possible, if it suits your situation.

I don't think the one you linked to has any current sensing/load limiting capability.

No polls but ABB units were popular a few years ago - ESB supplied them. They've largely proved very reliable & durable.

People have installed all types from the lower end Rolec to expensive Zappis & Tesla charge points etc. None that I'm aware of, are really any more reliable or less reliable, that any others. More expensive units, ultimately, have more to go wrong in future.

That said, I reckon Zappi are popular here & make sense to many, given they seem to have good backup & many need the solar integration/load sensing features they already include.

The most important features are tethered/untethered, do you need load sensing (have you an electric shower/heat pump etc.) & do you have/will you be getting solar panels.

After that, looks, an app, wifi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Thank you. I feel a bit overwhelmed by the options and all the posts on here, to be honest, like running through a maze and finding lots of dead ends. Information overload. 🤯

We don’t have an electric shower or heat pump but I think we might be looking at solar panels on the roof in the future.

Not sure what the point of an App is, if you’re just plugging it in to recharge the battery? I’m using the 3pin plug with an outdoor socket at the moment and it takes about 5 hours. Maybe I need to get some quotes and see if it’s going to be fairly straightforward to fit? I already have the initial approval for the grant so I need to work out my next steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Sorry if this was asked already, but can a charging point be put on the wall of a shed that contains a circuit board, that is fed from the house about 25 M away? Thanks.

I don't think so but hopefully an electrician will be along to answer definitively. Most charge points are rated at 32a/7kW, so quite a sustained load & more than a shed supply would usually be designed to handle.

Usually you need to go directly to the consumer unit or, under new guidelines, the external meter, in some circumstances.

It's always best to ask & research these things beforehand, so you're doing it right. If you plan to get solar panels, it makes sense to get a charge point installed now that is compatible. There are a few - others will hopefully chime in with suggestions, but the Zappi is likely the most popular as it has everything really - current sensing/load limiting, solar integration etc.

Its all down to the rating on the cable that is running to that shed. There is a good chance the cable is only suitable to run a few basic items like lights and sockets. Adding in a 32A charge point is probably not going to work.

What you might get away with is a 16A charge point (half the charge speed) but it still very much depends on that cable and what else is wired up in the shed. Only an electrician who does a survey will be able to give you a definitive answer for your shed.

Well, as soon as you start adding things like load sensing it already is a smart charge point to some degree!

The other element of smart charge points is just the ability to remotely control it via an app. Thats a luxury rather than a necessity but since you are already in the need of a load sensing charge point you will likely end up with a charge point that has app capability anyway.

If you go for an entry level basic charge point with no smarts or sensing then you will have to get a priority switch since you have a heat pump and an electric shower and that will immediately add upto €200 to your cost so you might as well spend that €200 on getting a better charge point with the sensing which will put you in much the same ballpark as the "smart ones".

Sounds like a standard charge point will do you fine unless you feel strongly about the Solar integration bit. If you think you want/need the Solar integration in the short term your choices are significantly limited. There are only a couple that have that yet.

I'd say, for now, go for a standard one and when the electrician is pulling the cable for the charge point tell him to put in an extra cable for load sensing. The cable is cheap and he will be running a cable from the board to the charge point anyway so its no extra work for him and it means that in the future if you decide to go the Solar PV route you can always sell your charge point and upgrade then and you wont have the hassle of running more cables.... running cables is the hard bit of a charge point install.

Ok thanks. The shed was wired to use an old type fan welding plant about 25 years ago. I must check it out.

If you post up a pic of the board in the shed we'll have some idea of what it is likely to handle (or maybe more accurately, what it cant handle).

You'll still need a proper survey to say for sure though.

Depends on if the cable was spec’d for 32amps and has the necessary protection

I have been in contact with electric Ireland regarding the shed charger. They think it should be ok. Without inspecting it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

Hi all, appreciate any help - got an Id3 and are charging it for the first time- but it's only charging at 3.6Kw. From looking into it, it seems the charger might be set to this rate at the install - Its an EO mini pro. But why if so? House is 2003... is there any way to turn it up to 7. Will call them on Monday but just wondered if anyone experienced and resolved this issue previously... thanks for any help...

Are you using the cable that came with the car or is it a tethered cable on the charge point you have?

If its the cars own cable, check the rating on it. It might be only a 16A cable which would only give you 3.6kW. Early ID.3's only got a 16A cable.

If its not the cable then the charge point is the next thing to look at. It might have been set to only 16A to avoid a costlier install with priority switches etc. If it is set to only 16A you should not up it to 32A without talking to the installer first to ensure that the cable that is feeding it is capable of 32A.

Thanks Kcross, checked the paperwork for the cable says 20A/32A so that should be okay, I think. Sounds like it's the charger so, will not be a happy camper if this is an issue with the installer.. hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

What does it say on the reci cert ? There is a rotary switch inside the mini pro which could be set to the lower level

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

If it’s the very first time you’re trying it, have you tried to unplug and reconnect it? I think I recall seeing something similar with my ID4 and EO mini pro 2 when I first connected it but went to 7.2kw after reconnecting.

I’d check the markings on the cable rather than electricians paperwork.

after that I’d be trying your cable on another charge point or public charge point and see what you get there.

This! OH accidently stopped and started the charge from the app - then it started charging at 7kw, so all appears to be good.

Only problem now is the charging didn't stop once 80% was reached. I know the timers dont work on the VW app, but I thought it would stop from the EO app. Anyway, will check further into this.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

The limit set in the car should work, never had any problem with that. Also setting it on the app works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

10mm^2 would give an excessive volt drop over 80m.

• Advertisement

Advertisement