Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cops digging on Kildare/Wicklow border site

Options
  • 11-10-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

All over the news this morning that cops are carrying out an extensive search of a site at the above location, in conjunction with the Jo Jo Dullard and Deirdre Jacob investigation.

These tasks must be so tough for the families, hope on one hand but complete despair also that nothing has ever been found of their loved ones, nor has anyone been brought to justice following upgrading of both of these investigations to murder inquiries.

Latest in both of these cases I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong), detectives have sent a file to the DPP (last Feb) recommending that a certain LM be charged for the murder of Deirdre Jacob, on the back of a detailed confession he gave to a cell mate when he was drunk. Not the most reliable pieces of info but they are obviously certain they have their man but are now trying to piece if all together.

LM has long been a suspect in 3 cases, Jo Jo Dullard, Annie McCarrick and Deirdre Jacob. Bloody awful stuff altogether. Amateur sleuth I am not, let due process take its course etc.. but always thought behaviour he showed in the crime for which he was caught, showed profile of a guy who had done it all before. The fact he was at Deirdre Jacobs family shop and happened to be in Newbridge that day also she want missing would have been a huge coincidence. Hopefully that families get the answers they need.

Comments

That’s a long time for a file to be with the DPP, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Finding anything at all in that location would massively tie in the main suspect as it's within range of his known stomping grounds. It would be a huge step forward in any of these cases. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

The lack of an answer is an answer in itself. They have very little on him!

Adrian posted a link in response. They’re seeking further expertise from another legal expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

why didn't the guards investigate the "suspicious activity" in the area at the time its not new information they have now

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Imagine if they found evidence connecting Larry Murphy to these cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

I really hope that they are found during this search. What an ordeal for the families.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is the vanishing triangle right?

They must have gotten some new Intel at some stage.

It takes a great deal of commitment and resources to start an operation like this.

Hope they find something and as grim as it sounds I hope they find bodies to give some closure to those families. Be great to find some DNA linking to the perpetrator.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I saw it on the news yesterday that they were going to start a massive search around an area in relation to many missing people over the years. I wonder have they been watching for a while for anybody to make a mistake, and now are ready to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Now maybe I watch too many US TV programs but can they not use equipment over ground to search and see if bones are underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Because on its own at the time that information was probably not worthy of a major dig.

Only now, after a review of all information that it's deemed to be a place to carry out an extensive search.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

am I missing something ? did I hear on the news earlier that new reports of suspicious activity was reported at the time ?

so someone waited all these years from 98 til now to make the report to the guards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I was thinking the same thing, unless I've heard incorrectly, the Gardai had this information for nearly 20 years, I'm open to correction but if true, it surely should be raising some serious questions.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

so a report was made in 98 , and even though there was a couple of females that went missing from that general area at the time , no one in the gards thought it worthy of checking until now ?

I can speak from experience here , excavation work for people is easier the shorter the time elapsed since they are reported missing , something not adding up here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm sure the report was "checked" as you say, but there is a big difference between "checking" a report of suspicious activity and deciding that a area has to be dug up as part of a search.

As I said earlier the totality of the information about this area in '98 probably did not warrant a full dig, but now combined with other info it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

The fact that Marry Murphy got such a lenient sentence is yet another failure of Irish judges to do their job.

Why would you treat attempted murder any differently to murder, plus rape, disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I hope they find those poor women and nail the killers. The torment for the families must be horrendous. The latest development based on 20 year old information doesn't inspire confidence.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

well like I said , I have experience with excavation , and it is easier to locate a missing person buried under ground the sooner you can , rather than 20 odd years later , thankfully even for irelands small size the likes of those abductions are incredibly rare , but I cant get my head around what would have possibly stopped the gards searching in the immediate aftermath of those poor girls going missing , even back in the late 90s aerial photography to survey the area for signs of disturbed earth would have been fairly cheap fast and effective ,

dont want to be repeating myself but ill say it anyway , something doesn t add up here , im not saying the gards messed up , by the way , but it is definitely a odd one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd love to know if this had been properly followed up on at the time...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can't see the body of the article there - was it reported at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

Not sure but this is a reply to the above tweet...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

It could be absolutely nothing either, how many false dawns do families in this situation have to endure.

Too much of a coincidence for it not to have been LM in my opinion. Gardai are satisfied he was in the town on the day and he paid a visit to her family shop also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

While it does seem odd then again how many hundreds or more calls do they get after such a crime. Many are false leads etc. and it is hard to sort out those that are useful.

From the newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

How do these types on excavations work in practice?

Is it man power or with a digger? If it's the latter, how do they ensure the bucket of the digger doesn't crash through what are already delicate human remains or potentially destroy evidence?

I have no idea what I'm talking about so ignore the questionable terminology.

• Advertisement

I assume there is an initial visual scan - look for an area that looks to have been previously dug up. Then there would possibly be tech checks for soil disturbance.

In terms of digging, I think initial clearance might be by small digger with most being done by foot & spade. However, a competent digger operator should be able to work with reasonable precision.

Advertisement