Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is your estate underground cabling? that's the only reason I can see why my estate was bypassed, all the others are overhead cabling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

Yes it is but I currently have Siri in an estate with underground cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 inyoup

Switched from Sky Siro to Vodafone and I was told it will be just with short interpution. Installer came in today to bring in the router and tested it, all good - 500mbps. I assume he was still on Sky connection, because 30 min after he left the internet light started flashing.

I called helpline to be told my line needs to be activated which will take 4 hours but could be up to 24-48 hours. I work from home so this is major problem for me as I've to use my mobile internet for work now which is barely managable.

Just a warning for others if you are switching and working from home, have a back up plan as you could end up without broadband for a while ..

Previously I was with Vodafone and switched to Sky, sky only posted the router and I got the text message when my service was active, Vodafone stopped working and Sky broadband went live within 5 minutes ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Do all the Siro resellers use PPPoE as a WAN connection or are there DHCP/Static providers out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Noticed a few SIRO branded contractors working on Poles and opening manhole covers in Youghal recently. How long did it take after a survey for them to connect up a town?

They've removed the ever so helpful where next on their website and now its just an address input which obviously tells me not in my area at the moment.

• Advertisement

VF used to provide a static IP on their fttc and ADSL for an extra fiver a month I would give them a ring and ask if it's available on the ftth package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If SIRO is installed in an apartment block and someone wanted to switch to Eir, can they do so through the existing SIRO infrastructure or do Eir need to have also installed their own fibre infrastructure too?

If so, how common is it that both infrastructures/cabling will be installed in the same apartment blocks, or is it a case of SIRO got there first, so only they offer it there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is installation messy? Is the Voda router adequate for the average home?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

My eircode also says not in my area at the moment.The funny thing is I had it installed 3 months ago?

I missed out on a few weeks of siro.This fibre service is flawless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

They had to drill a hole into house and run cabling down outside of the wall, but they did it tidy enough.

The router's WiFi is terrible for us, we live in a small terraced 2 bed house and it won't reach upstairs (have had to go down the powerline adapter route), but we've had this issue with every router we've had in this house (including virgin, eir and Vodafone non-Siro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Every house is different when it comes to wi-fi.Is your router set to to the 5G band.Its much better than the old 2.4gb

Not really, 2.4 is better in older houses as it travels further, yes it's speeds aren't as high as 5ghz but it will be seen by devices where the 5g can't. It's always worth checking in the router settings if the networks can be separated.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭bdmc16

Would really appreciate anyone's input on this issue actually.

I just got connected today to Vodafone siro and first thing I tried to do was log into Vodafone Gigabox Router to separate out the 2.4 and 5g SSIDs.

Even on expert settings there is no option to split out anymore and I believe this is to do with their 'super wifi' option they offering which are glorified range extenders . It's definitely helps keep speed consistent around house but I can't separate the SSIDs. I tried downloading old versions of Gigabox app on android and still no joy. This is a deal breaker for me, anyone know how to resolve?

I don't think the band's can be separated on that pos router that VF use. If you're lucky enough to have ftth it is well worth it buying a decent router of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭farreca

I have gigabit FTTH with Vodafone and have their gigabox router but I recently add nest wifi to the setup. Since adding the nest wifi I've had loads of issues accessing smart devices and I guess this is due to double NAT with my setup as it is. Apologies if this has been asked before but could anyone recommend a smart switch that could replace the gigabox router? I don't need anything with wifi as the nest will take care of that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Siro digging estates around Glanmire Cork for the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Go into Gigabox router settings. Login in details should be on the back of the router itself. Switch off WiFi on Gigabox.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭bdmc16

I found a way to do it but turning off the super WiFi mesh extender and reverting back to older android version of gigabox app 4.4.1 apk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Siro to launch 2 Gigabit Fibre

Kilkenny getting it first

https://siro.ie/news-and-insights/irelands-first-2-gigabit-fibre-home-broadband-service/

The current network upgrade, while facilitating the launch of 2 Gigabit broadband, will also futureproof connected premises and enable them to access new start-of-the-art broadband services. The current upgrade is also underpinning the technology to support further increases in broadband speeds – up to 10 Gigabits in the near future.

You'd need to invest a decent amount of bobs in hardware to actually use those speeds, with the majority of houses being completely wireless I don't see the point in aiming it towards households. It would match them better to actually finish the town's they started 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hi all, is there anywhere you can see a rollout map for siro? been coming to my area for nearly 3 years at this stage and no progress made. Its available about 400m away, so not like I'm miles away from it.

I don't think there is, the siro site has gone terrible, an address I know has siro installed shows as unavailable on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

I think its more about marketing at present. Many towns and cities now have both Eir and Siro and if the normal consumer see’s 2Gb vs 1Gb they’ll go with the faster one, even without knowing the limitations of hardware that render it somewhat pointless until retail hardware gets up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ClonNGB

Wonder if this is a free upgrade ? Not sure I can take advantage of it, WAN port on my router is limited to 1Gb.

Exactly. I wonder would the 2gigabox router be twice as bad as the 1gigabox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Any issues with powering the ONT & router off an extension board? or does the ONT really need to be on a dedicated socket? I've something else that needs to go there also and running out of sockets.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No issue whatsoever. It's just a standard 12V switching PSU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

There are none. The ONT is powered by a small transformer unit, which can plug into an extension or surge lead (recommended) along with your modem thus freeing up a wall socket for something else as you mention. However the ONT cannot be moved from its installation point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

No info on the upload speeds. I'd rather 1gb up/down than 2gb down. but id go for the 2gb if I got an upload improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Advertisement