Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Just wondering did Pure ever look for their Fritzbox back? Same situation here, Pure contract is up in the next couple of weeks, so looking at switching and wondering if I'll have to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

While we're in that vein, do digiweb look for their router back? I'm thinking of switching back to VM in the new year and to keep using the fritzbox with the VM hub in modem mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

It depends on how long you are with them. If it is 12 months or less then probably yes. This will be confirmed if and when you cancel. They will usually send a return packet (prepaid) for it.

Thanks for that, I'll see what happens when I'm nearing the end of my contact, they told me to contact them for a deal before changing providers. Time will tell if they're true to their word, I must say the service as been rock solid.

As an existing customer they will offer you a deal. I have been with them since 2005 and every year I was able to negotiate a new (often better) deal with them and they would have no issue in doing it. Loyalty counts and is appreciated. So see what is offered when you contact them near your renewal date.

• Advertisement

Will do, nice to hear they appreciate their existing customers. In all honesty the 70 meg I get from them works perfectly, we'd be heavy users here and never had a stutter and I love the fritzbox I've never had to reboot it or any of that malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No and another user here contacted them and was told they dont look for it back. I switched to sky and it kept working without any change required on Fritz settings.

Thanks for that. I actually rang them the other day, to see if they'd budge on the price after contract ends and I asked them about the router. The girl I spoke to said they'd look for it back and would send out a prepaid envelope to post it back. I've been through all their T and C's and the only mention of it is if you cancel during contract that they'll charge you for it if you don't send it back. So I'll just have to hope now that nothing is said about it.

I'm looking at moving to Sky too, they seem to have the best price right now. It's 35 a month for 500mbps. I'm currently on 1gb with Pure, so hoping I won't notice a difference on the 500. Is it a straight swap over between providers (Siro), or is there any downtime to be expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭EarWig

They all say they will ask for it back because they know people don't like the thought of all the hassle. In my experience once you've completed a contract they don't actually follow through on that.

The ISPs are certainly less willing to cut deals than in the past and you may have to actually cancel to get them to budge. In my recent experience, one ISP blinked, the other didn't.

I got the sky 500 for 30 a month and i don't notice any difference, I'd only rarely have heavy usage and even then, it wouldn't impact on 500 vs 1Gb.

The changeover was supposed to happen on a Mon but it seems to have happened on the Sun but the equipment just kept on working so I didn't notice until I did a speedtest and noticed sky. So nothing to worry about, the sky hub is still in its box.

Re equipment sent back, they'd have to test it etc so prob not worth their time and effort.

• Advertisement

Thank you both. Hopefully they won't ask for it back anyway, especially if it's a smooth transition to Sky using it!

It's a million times better router than the sky hub piece of junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lusciousblue

Hi, I'm now with Vodafone under the SIRO network. In march my contract expires so I'll most surely change providers.

Is there a switching procedure in the SIRO network? While I was using the old Eir phone lines I just rang the new provider and they took care of everything once I provided the UAC. This was obviously not the case when I switched to SIRO last year as they're different networks.

What is the procedure now if I change to a different SIRO provider? Do they take care of the switch or do I need to cancel the one in Vodafone personally?

Each supplier has different rules. Some require 30 days notice, others just stop once you've changed to the new supplier.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's a switching procedure, and it's the only process you can follow to change providers. You should have an account number starting with SIVF... that's the equivalent of the UAN on the open eir network. Give that to your new provider and they should take care of the transfer, including cancelling your Vodafone connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Can the external box be painted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

anyone know how long it takes to get setup after the cable has been installed outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Got this in the other day with the vodafone gigabox modem. Does anybody else find the wifi signal to be quite poor? I get ~500MB speeds when standing next to it but at the other side of the room it looses 1 bar of signal and 2 rooms away it's completely gone, wondering if I should look for a replacement...

I didn't have this problem with the B582 router (temporary mobile broadband solution) which was able to cover the entire house right out to the back garden and even the attic extension

Post edited by Red Silurian on

It usually is done within a few days. You will be contacted in advance of the final part of the install. If however it is not done within a week follow up with which ever ISP you ordered the service from. You also should have received your modem unless it is Vodafone. The engineer usually brings it with him on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

i worded my original post wrong,

it should ask how long after the cables have been installed can I go about ordering?

the guys started putting the cables along every house in my park yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've been with Vodafone SIRO the last 2 years but going to be changing this month. Looking at Digiweb.

I'm currently getting 980down/100up with Vodafone, should I expect to get similar speeds with Digiweb or would their backend impact things in any way?

Yes you should. I have been with Digiweb for quite a while and speeds are fairly constant. Also if you switch you can save €30 in one of your early monthly bills if you know a customer who can recommend you or provide you with a reference number only identifiable to Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Why are you changing BTW? I've been with Vodafone at €35 a month, I'm on my 3rd contract with them (just ring and threaten to cancel)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mobirl

I have vodafone fiber to the home but I also went with the TV. According to vodafone support its not possible to use the tv box with their gigabox modem in bridge mode. I've a Unifi UDM I can configure as a router in place of the vodafone box but I can't get the vodafone set top box to work with unifi.

I enabled igmp on my udm network after seeing it mentioned for IPTV setups but I think there is more needed.

Has anyone been able to get vodafone tv to work with 3rd party modems?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nr3

You've a couple of choices. You could double NAT, putting the ubiquiti fw behind the gigabox and forward all traffic to it (DMZ mode) or -

Put a small network switch between the ONT and the gigabox and also plug the ubiquiti in there too. Set up your PPPoE connection on the ubquiti (vlan 10) & login details and that'll work too.

Only have your Vodafone TV unit plugged into the gigabox and disable the wifi. The phone and TV will continue to work fine.

It doesn't seem to matter having the devices using the same pppoe details.

If you don't have a phone, you can do it all on the ubiquiti but depending on the model you're then looking at multicast forwarding (igmproxy) and it starts to get complicated. I had it running on an edgerouter but changing channels was way slower - it all worked but wasn't worth it. Put a basic gigabit switch in between the ONT and the Gigabox and plug the other fw in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Hi, I have an UDM PRO SE working with Vodafone FTTH. Tried everything to get it working with the TV but failed. I ended up plugging the Vodafone router into the second port of the GPON box yoke and it worked fine. The UDM PRO SE is plugged into the 10Gb port on the GPON. So essentially I have two separate networks. The Unifi stuff all on one and the TV box is the only device connected to the Vodafone router. The only open issue was the Vodafone catch up TV service would stop for as econd and go again, but live TV fine.

The phone also works btw since it is plugged into the VF router.

For anyone who have had SIRO installed recently is the internal Optical Network Terminal (ONT) still the small white Huawei unit or are they using a newer one. I ask as I am experiencing issues with mine and any feedback would be helpful before I make contact with Digiweb to have it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

OK so I'm looking to get siro installed. I brought a new build. Now because of covid I wasn't allowed into view the electrician work so some of the cat 6 network points aren't where I like them to be.

Basically the electrican has run cat 6 cable from the a broadband box outside to the hotpress where a patch panel exists to points in each room.

Will siro put the ont in the hotpress where electrical points exist for me or will have to put at the nearest point to the meter box. Or will they run a cable up the wall around the outside of the house to a computer room at 2nd floor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Surveying crews for Siro outside Cobh this morning , timeline about six months according to one of the crew , nice to see we are going to have two options soon , NBI mar 22-may 22 and now the possibility of Siro , happy days says the eternal optimist .

• Advertisement

Ha ha they said that to me back in 2018😆😆, still no siro available.

Advertisement