Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

The causeway through Lough Lannagh.

There are two cuttings at Drumneen, between Islandeady and Westport, which will be the two deepest ones on the entire scheme. The bigger western one, pictured here, has only just started. The local road through here will be closed from tomorrow, August 3rd.

The last of my bank holiday pictures is the eastern cutting at Drumneen, looking here towards Castlebar. The western cutting, in the previous post, will be even deeper than this beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WBEngineer

The camera's are there to monitor in realtime and record for post event analysis traffic passing and accessing the site entrance. It also allows the security contractor and certain WB staff to be notified immediately of any non permitted persons on the site. Similar installation on the N60.

Nice aerial shot of the works in Islandeady during the hot weather in July. Pic from ROD AECOM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I was in mayo over the weekend... some project! What is the estimated reduction in journey time from Castlebar to Westport with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

To be honest Westport to Castlebar will only be reduced by three or four minutes I'd say. Westport to east of Castlebar (i.e. Dublin, Belfast, Sligo etc.) should be reduced by 10 to 15 minutes though, maybe more at peak times. It will also pull a lot of the traffic away from the inner ring road in Castlebar and make getting around the town during the day time much easier.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

And of course vastly improving the safety profile of a shocking stretch of road. Same as the Ballaghaderren-Scramoge scheme, major safety benefits.

Nice drone video, from N84 junction to Castlebar west junction.

The Islandeady road is being realigned to remove 2 bad bends. Looking south here towards the overbridge over the new N5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

This will be a perfect road for Sam Maguire 😃

I assume there is no plan to add a small southern bypass of Westport from this to the Louisburgh road ?

Don't see how it could be done as a small add on. No space to cut through Westport house and the Quay so would have to loop all the way around the town on the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They have the land set aside on the town plan but at the moment it's not going to be done. They will go south and build a new road over the railway as at the moment trucks can't go under the bridge out to Ballinrobe at the moment.

Shame really but I suppose it's only about a 2-mile section so wouldn't take too long to get done once after they realise that Westport is still clogged up.

I'm down West at the moment, Some amount of earth and rock has been shifted about. Huge bridges being built too! Going to be some job when finished, Just need the French park to Strokestown to be sorted and it will be a good road to drive finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

All roads lead to Croagh Patrick! The old and the new N5 side by side. More pics here:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Any ideas on when the N84 junction Castlebar to Ballinrobe at the logistics plant is due to be finished..? Thought they dug up the old main road very early with all the work still needed on the bridge. Maybe it had to be done that way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we stopped for lunch in Westport over the summer and I couldn't believe the amount of traffic. Loads of people eating and drinking on the footpaths with huge trucks full of rocks and sand inching past their elbows (possible related to the road building but I don't know why they'd be driving through the town.) It's a lovely spot but the traffic is destroying it.

They did a trial pedestrian weekend on a bank holiday about 15 years ago.

The chamber of commerce hated it as they wouldn't stop in for stuff on the way home! Not realising that the busy road puts people off.

It also caused huge amounts of traffic. If they get a bypass out to the Louisburgh road they should try it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Summer 2003 If I recall correctly. There was traffic out to Statoil at one stage over the weekend.

• Advertisement

The new alignment of the N59 starting to become much clearer at Creggaunnahorna - Derrynanaff, looking south towards Westport.

Progress update on the new road:

Earthworks 76% complete, full project on schedule for completion by October 11th next year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

If only we could build public transport like we build roads in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Drove over the new Windsor Rd. Overbridge last week. It gives s great perspective on the works below if you get the chance. Lots of earth and rock moved there

If you want an example of the vile mindless parochialism that has held Ireland back on so many occasions, have a listen to this councillor from Castlebar about the new N5.

He's a complete ape, an amadán mouthing off based on 0 quoted sources. The people of Castlebar are relieved this project is underway. He should have been questioned further on these supposed sources and ultimately called out for making a redundant objection to a project that's already long underway. You couldn't make it up. I don't think it's a reflection at all of local sentiment, moreso a reflection of a local politician who thought it smart to raise imaginary representations to make himself sound clever. Instead, he sounds like a bumbling dope.

The best bit is when he says Castlebar is f***ed because people can't turn right off a dual carriageway. There's FOUR junctions to access the town!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Two are roundabouts. So right hand turns allowed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Does he reckon the N60 and N84 junctions are LILOs ? You can turn every way off those as well

• Advertisement

There's this old thought amongst the chambers of commerce that bypasses kill towns.

People who were driving through never stopped off anyway. People driving into the town to maybe shop were also put off with how bad traffic is and should just head on through or head home.

Now people who are driving into your town are driving in for a reason, It's quieter, with less traffic annoying the casual user and they end up buying more.

Exactly. Nenagh is one that springs to mind. Before the motorway it was absolutely horrible. Filthy dirty and constantly snarled with traffic. It's lovely now. Very lively with loads of people about. Completely rejuvenated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

There’s been huge evidence against the “bypasses kill towns” people ever since Naas.

What this probably is, is some guys who own filling stations complaining about lost trade. Fuel sellers are literally the only business that benefits from traffic-clogged main streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how much passing traffic stops in Castlebar anyway, the only place it's on the way to is Westport which is only 15 mins up the road. We've gone to Westport and Achill (from Wicklow) in the last couple of years and it never even occurred to me to go into Castlebar.

There are some nice restaurants in the town, plus it's the only place to do big shopping in Mayo. Those who want to go there will go there. Those who don't won't. The biggest obstable to going to Westport and Castlebar in summer is the traffic. I avoid Westport during the summer season. It's not worth the hassle. That's precisely what a bypass does: frees towns from interregional and interurban traffic and returns them to the local population to live, work and enjoy safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Such a shame this site has all but collapsed. There's so few people posting and getting involved in discussion. Just heard breaffy residents on radio talking about the hell there are being put through with rock breaking and the effect on their property.

With regard to the road, at least there finally seems to be some tar going down on the Castlebar Ballinrobe road at the Toyota garage. I make it nearly 6 months this has been on traffic lights. Farcical effort, they could have either concentrated on the bridge or got the main road section completed much quicker to keep traffic moving. This is the main route for traffic going to Galway.

• Advertisement

The Windsor Road overbridge outside Castlebar, the first bridge over the new N5 to open to traffic. Tie-in to existing N5 in the background of first pic. Pics courtesy of Jack Walsh drone photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The argument doesn't make sense in Castlebar's case anyway, because the passing traffic hasn't gone through the the town centre since the original bypass was built around 1990. Passing through Castlebar to go from Dublin to Westport you pretty much just pass four petrol stations, the football stadium, the back of the hospital and a few housing estates on Westport road and you're out of the town again. You had to turn off to go anywhere useful anyway.

I'm just about old enough to remember the same arguments being made when the first bypass was built, and there was nothing in it then either. In fact it almost doesn't bear thinking about what the traffic would be like in the town of the first bypass had never been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

I remember the bypass being built (at Cathal duffys roundabout), but don't remember the road layout before then. How would traffic coming in from ballyvary side got to westport Road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Would have come in the old turlough road, in by the Welcome Inn, left down Lininhall street and up main st, past the TF and the hospital and out the Westport road then. Used to take about 35/40 mins that time to get from Swinford to Castlebar (apart from the time I had my appendix out, the father got me over to the hospital in a record breaking 25mins!!!)

I was coming back from Castlebar last week and there was roadworks again in Ballyvary, traffic that side of the road was diverted in at the petrol station and on that real old Castlebar main road and came out at the side of the Wishing Well. Boy does that bring back memories of travelling that road in the 70's and 80's! How far we have come (in some ways).

Nice little video of the stone sub-base being laid between Westport and Castlebar last week.

• Advertisement

Windsor road overbridge outside Castlebar, and the views from the bridge looking north (top) and south.

The new underbridge over the Lodge road in Westport is taking shape.

is it single or dual carriageway at that point?

Just to show the progress that's been made on earthworks in the last 3 months, here's a picture I took of the Western cutting at Drumneen, near Islandeady, at the start of August.

Compare that to a pic of the same location yesterday:

The eastern cutting at Drumneen in early August and three months later in early November. In the first pic the road is still mud and drainage is being installed. The second pic from last week shows the road foundations being laid.

I see reports of october 2022 finish date for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Spiaire

Great progress being made.

Some views on the Newport road outside Westport:

Piling in an area of soft ground at Attireesh.

Sections of the underpass for the great western greenway, taken from the temporary greenway diversion.

Old greenway route blocked off.

Not sure what they're blasting, the ground here is all just soft drumlins.

New culvert at Attireesh.

The Lodge Road underpass is now open to traffic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement