Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭green daries

England should have done a bomb from the pandemic it was set up perfectly for a pandemic with the level of online shopping exports it had to Ireland and the eu..... I haven't spent 20 Euro in England since they left..... Because we really can't get the stuff delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A good friend of mine works for the police in Essex. He told me that post brexit they had a measurable increase in racism related incidents. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Is he angling for a trade war with the EU? It's really weird that he is going after the ECJ angle. This seems a purely political move and not connected at all to how things are conducted on the ground in NI or how checks are implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

It certainly looks like an attempt to no deal this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is that, dare I say it, a bit of baiting by Coveney? Should he be carrying on like that?

Post edited by lawred2 on

George Peretz QC (@GeorgePeretzQC) Tweeted:

This article has as its thesis the idea that “triggering Article 16” would require legislation in order to avoid a “clash with the judges”. But it isn’t explained why. https://t.co/rF7SUBIhHE https://twitter.com/GeorgePeretzQC/status/1447092927981817862?s=20

This indicates that UK intends to renege on the NI protocol - because UK is talking about introducing legislation to trigger A16 - when in fact triggering A16 needs no legislation (but abolishing obviously does).

Let's see where this goes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes he should because everyone can see what is going on. The Tories literally said it last week on panel press conference. Northern Ireland isn't suffering at all in fact trade has ballooned north to south frost's own words "we will have to do something about that".

Time to call it out for what it is , no deal destructive trade war mongering. This isn't a negotiation it's a facile war for headlines on their home turf because brexit reality has kicked in at home and the Tories are losing ground they need more huge distractions for the plebs to get riled up on and the media engine to feast with.

You could argue they would actually start a real war somewhere for the headlines at this stage . Falklands mark II

Yes and no.. I don't really see the need for the "are we surprised" bit..

That's sinking to their level.

To my eyes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

100% correct. Spoiling for a political fight, noting more or less. NIP is just the vehicle to facilitate. People of NI are pawns.

His response reminds me of a so called "Tough Guy" I ran into at a disco in my teens.

Tough guy - "You looking at me?"

Me - "No"

Tough Guy - "You calling me a liar?"

The ensuing fight was guaranteed regardless of whether I wanted to fight or not as the Tough Guy had some friends or a girl he wanted to impress.

Sadly as it turns out the Tough Guy had a lot of dysfunctional stuff going on in his life and long story short he ended up a pretty much down and out. We're the same age (early 50's) and the odd time I return to my home town I still see him strolling around and he's a shell of a person who looks about 70 and very frail.

Quite sad really.

Can countries go the same way?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

SNIP. Don't dump links please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

As the UK plans to initiate proceedings that will result in a hard border and portioning once again, the Irish government is sending its senior politicians to NI to celebrate the partitioning of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

Ireland is already partitioned regardless of the (current) open/soft border, reneging on the NIP won't alter the status of partition, it would however harden that position.

The govt is in a no win situation in relation to this event. Attend and they'll be criticised by some for "celebrating" partition, don't go and they'll be snubbing hosts and other attendees they ultimately have to have a working relationship with. Dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.

IMHO the least worst option is to hold their nose, attend the event in a very sober manner and keep their eyes firmly focused on the long term prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

I agree with 54and56 @54and56. Also sending Convey is a good move as he is a bogey man to Unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Deleted.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Coveney was only responding to stuff written by Frost in a national newspaper. What's the problem? It's time the truth be spoken about this British government. They cannot allow NI to flourish and we all know why. Utterly reprehensible but not for the first or last time, the fates of millions of people must be sacrificed on the pyre for the Tory party. They are an absolute scourge.

I completely disagree about this "no win" claim

The vast majority on this entire island see MDH's position as the correct one. That's a pretty big win. All the whinging has come from exactly where you would expect it to come from. The usual duplicitous sorts seeking to score points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

Irrespective of whether MDH or Coveney are right or wrong, you are wrong to characterise the Armagh event as a celebration. If anything it's a commemoration , just as loads of centenary events are being commemorated. It's not just me saying that, the organisers have made it plain too. So cut out the "celebration" nonsense.

I think Coveney was genuinely taken aback by the idea of the UK introducing a purely political 'red line' into the Protocol issue - this has virtually nothing to do with how the Protocol is implemented on the ground in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

That's a fair point, celebration is not the correct term you are correct.

Irrespective, while i think coveney and Leo were the perfect team for the brexit negotiations and represented Ireland and our interests with nothing short of professionalism, this is a big mistake, particularly in light of developing events with respect to the NIP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Are they intent on having a 50 year commemoration of Bloody Sunday or Internment?

It is not usual to commemorate an event like partition - certainly not from Ireland's point of view. MDH was completely right about it - his only mistake, if it was a mistake, was to give an explanation of any type. A simple refusal would have been enough. I am sure he is invited to many events that he does not attend.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: there are other threads discussing the Armagh commemoration. This is not one of them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The NI protocol is the latest Brexit hill the UK has chosen to die on.

The fuel shortage is a loser - so it is not Brexit related. The food shortage and empty shelves is another loser - so is not Bexit related. Labour shortage in GB is a loser - so not Brexit related. Now what is left?

Reading social media and there is very little sympathy for Frost's stunt, even in England. Virtually the only people backing him are the usual UKIP / DUP zealots.

One wonders if this will even remotely work for him as a diversion or publicity stunt, especially in the face of shortages and Brexit failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Padraig178

I would caution against social media being a reliable guide of how a nation thinks.Invariably people tend to read posts from like-minded people in search of confirmation bias and there would be plenty of people queuing up to say Brexit is failing.I'm sure if you read the tweets of people who voted in favour of Brexit you'd find plenty who disagree.

And I've no doubt if I approached a dozen people on a street in any town in the UK I'd struggle to find a majority who even knew who Lord Frost is.

All you're seeing and hearing now is both sides setting out their stalls ahead of intenstive negotiations over the NIP that will be done in private with plenty of exploratory diplomatic work already going on behind the scenes. These talks will go to the wire before a last-minbute fudge that saves face on both sides.It's how the EU has always worked and this time will be no exception.The idea that either side is rolling up its sleeves for a trade war is preposterous.Much of Europe is still trying to get people back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

So Boris goes on holidays and visits....an EU country. One the DM and DE frequently vilify.

I hope his documents are in order. Wouldn't want to be treated the way several Spanish people have been at the UK border.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It is obvious from Frost's comments that the Tories don't want to resolve the issue. There is too much political capital to be made for them by remaining in a perpetual stand-off with the EU. A Frosty relationship, essentially.

They have shown they can't be trusted and that their promises aren't worth a damn. They are happy to derail the protocol because it is increasing north/south economic cooperation, and showing what a disaster Brexit is for GB. They don't care about threatening our place in the single market. They don't care if they bring about a revival of The Troubles.

The only way we will be truly rid of their dangerous policies on this island is to prepare the groundwork for a border poll. The alternative is to continue to be used as a cynical barganing chip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

These talks will go to the wire before a last-minbute fudge that saves face on both sides.It's how the EU has always worked and this time will be no exception

No it isn't, though the UK seems to consistently think it is. This has been their rhetoric throughout yet in reality the UK just folds most of the time.

The EU isn't readying for a trade war, but it seems more and more an inevitable consequence of the UK's actions and it will hurt the latter far, far, far more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Padraig178

Well as the talks haven't even started yet neither of us can be certain of the outcome.I'm making my call based on historical precedent going back decades.

Advertisement