Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is precisely this thinking that "brexit is done, time to move on' that has allowed the Tories to make such an completely mess of it.

Brexit itself is fine, the wish to try something difference, the confidence to stake a path on their own terms is admirable. But that isnt what Brexit is.

Brexit is a shambles, a mess caused by ignorance, greed, lack of planning, lack of talent, lack of scrutiny.

A recurring call from Brexiteers now is that they simply want to move on from Brexit, it's been talked to death. Well of course they do. Because even they now acknowledge, if no publicly, that it is a disaster and why would they want to be called to task about it? They don't want the public to be reminded of their part in it. They want to be seen as the saviour from whatever is happening now, not the cause of it.

I agree that a return to the EU, in whatever form, is at least a generation away. But not because that is what people want, but because those in charge, including the media, want to make sure that people simply accept the new reality as if it was the only possible outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Last night's Question Time was very interesting. The BBC loaded the audience with more than 50% Leave / Tory voters in the interest of "balance", but to their great surprise, even this part of the audience went on the attack against the Tories and virtually nobody spoke up for Brexit.

One wonder if the deranged Brexiteer brigade on social media and in newspaper comments are distorting the debate and exaggerating the level of actual support for Brexit. The penny seems to have dropped with many people that the thing has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Regarding those angry Leave/Tory voters, I'm searching every nook and cranny of my being but I just can't find any sympathy.

These are your hardcore UKIP / Tory type zealots. They probably would be quite content to see their own families and friends become homeless or half starve to death as long as they get their precious Brexit.

I do wonder though if they are totally distorting the debate and masking that Brexit is becoming very unpopular. They are still shouting their xenophobic slogans from the rootftops, but we're starting to Brexit take a huge amount of criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Yes I have about as much sympathy as I would have for a rich middle aged man having a mid life crisis and leaving his wife and kids to see what’s out there. Brexit is not a cause that would stir any sympathy.

• Advertisement

One very obvious way Brexit is failing is that virtually nobody in GB seems to have benefitted in any way from the vote to Leave (outside the toffs and Tory donors etc). People seem generally worse off since 2016 and Brexit is beginning to cause a lot of hassle for them.

The lack of 'Brexit benefits' is very striking, especially after all the promises Vote Leave and the right wing press made to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Padraig178

Where are these angry Leave/Tory voters ? The ones I saw at the Tory conference this week seemed very cheerful.

Up North in the Red Wall may be a different matter but I feel they're giving Johnson the benefit of the doubt at the moment due to the pandemic.The next two years will be very interesting to see how they react.They're the key to unlock Fortress Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

As predicted the HGV driver issue is improving by pulling in drivers from other areas creating driver shortages there- here bin lorry drivers. Next up: bus drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

In fairness, the Tory conference is for the faithful, an unlikely spot if you're actively seeking the angry or disaffected. I bet there are more than would care to admit anyway.

Chesham and Amersham by election a few months back should have been wake up call. 13k tory majority turned into 8k defeat, a whopping turn around. C&A was a 55-45 remain constituency and brexit only one of several factors, but still. Tories can't load up on hard brexit loving red wall areas without risking further slippage in the shires and trad blue patch. Though same goes for labour too i would say. Lib dems in a great position to make serious gains imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

There were plenty on Question Time on Thursday night.

If you didn't see it, in a discussion about labour shortages, one woman said that it was because of "the elephant in the room" that no one would mention. i.e. Brexit. Another sudience member said that the current mess was a result of Brexit. No one spoke in defence of brexit, including the Conservative Nadhim Zahaw.

When Fiona Bruce asked the audience if anyone would defend Brexit there was silence. She reminded the audience that most of them had voted for Brexit. The man who blamed the current crisis as a result of Brexit admitted voting for it. But there was no happy, Brexit supporter in the audience.

It is clear that people are happy to discuss Brexit and it;s failure. And want solutions. Labour's policy of sticking there head in the sand and ignoring it will not work longterm. In fact , on the program Labour MP Lisa Nandy, was quite explicit in blaming Brexit for the problem and blamed the Consevative government for not see and planning for the problems, such as labour shortages, that Brexit created.

Labour just need to be more robust in their attacks on Brexit and they will find a ready audience.

I do agree though that Brexit cannot be reversed, probably not even in a single generation. The solutions to many of the current problems lie in closure alignment with the EU, entry into the single market. it is not clear though, considering the deterioration in relationships between the Eu and the current UK Government that any move in that direction would be acceptable to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They are welcome to join the single market and customs union and pay their dues but I wouldn't have them back in the EU decision making bodies until they have reformed their internal political system, written down a constitution, introduced PR etc. And basically grown up a bit as a country.

We've other serious matters like Poland to deal with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The EU cannot deal with more than one rebellious country, and there are currently two - Poland and Hungary. Fortunately they are both recipient countries so turning off the magic money tree should work - one way or another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd say four - Slovakia and Czechia along with the aforementioned two form the Visegrad group.

I'd be all for the UK acceding back in and I'd hope the EU would facilitate this. It can't happen on this side while the Tories are in power so they'll eventually be gone and the public will have seen them for how toxic they are. It's happened before and much better leaders than Johnson have fallen on their own swords.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can actually see serious signs of them sowing the seeds of their own destruction now:

Brexit was never anything more than the expression of abject hatred and selfishness. Hatred of foreigners, difference, other people and a desire to satisfy one's own cultural peccadilloes and obsessions, regardless of the damage it would do á la "I'm alright, Jack". We saw this with Stanley Johnson rushing off to get a French passport for instance.

I'm just praying the airlines have their fuel needs covered.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

while I am all for a bit of Brit bashing and I hope Ireland makes out like bandits either economically or politically, essentially saying that half their country hates foreigners is a bit salty and most likely not true

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This was always going to be GB News' remit though, as it's a typically right wing ploy in general. Blame the poor and struggling for having the gall to want such luxuries as food or supplies for the one time of year we eat hearty (leaving aside the all year round issues of food banks for a second). I don't doubt for a second that polemic has her Xmas foodstuffs ordered and will suffer no indignities this coming season. As you say it's all very "I'm all right Jack".

It's October 9th and we're getting scare stories about Christmas shortages already ?

Can't they at least wait till Fairytale of New York gets its first outing of the season ...

Sure but this isn't about GB News itself. It's about the narrative being twisted to be about lamenting materialism by the people who've been hollowing out this country for decades for their own material game. It's like the Barnard Castle thing. Figures about job losses and GDP are abstract. Getting sovereignty instead of turkey for Christmas is direct, tangible and easy to understand. No amount of billionaire-funded spin is going to change that. Certain demographics are allowed to be hungry and that's part of the plan but the middle classes of southern England not getting their toys and turkey is possibly the worst thing that could happen to Johnson.

I actually think the loss of the Intel plant is a lot more devastating than the press credit for. Chinese aggression towards Taiwan means chipmaking needs to diversify and fast. Talent tends to centralise and this was an opportunity for global Britain to be truly global but thanks to this capricious government, this precious opportunity has been squandered. I fully endorse the decision to send carrier task forces through the strait but losing one of the resulting benefits because Brexit means Brexit is just pathetic.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CptMonkey

Brexit just keeps on giving doesn’t it. The brexiteers just can’t admit that it was a complete folly.

When Christmas is a disaster it will be the fault of the EU but never glorious brexit. It’s like a religion

YouGov this week gave the Tories a seven point lead over Labour.

At what stage do you think the Brexit folly will begin to affect the polls because so far a pandemic, fuel shortages and empty supermarket shelves doesn't appear to be making any difference ?

Stanley Johnson campaigned to remain in the EU and was openly opposed to Brexit.

And then he immediately flip-flopped and adopted the Brexiter talking points about Jean-Claude Juncker while making sure he retained his rights to free movement.

H. H. Asquith

Stanley Johnson was an MEP and subsequently worked for the European Commission.His mother was French.

He really doesn't fit the profile of a foreigner-hating Little Englander.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭yagan

Even those Brexiters who feel insulated from poverty may suffer just as many of the British establishment in Ireland died of typhoid while the poor died of starvation during An Gorta Mór.

What suffering happened in some oversea colonial possession never bothered the comfortable Home Counties as long as afternoon tea was served, but now the privileged are on the same island as the exploited. Perhaps the Titanic may be a better analogy for Brexit Britain, the privileged may have first access to the lifeboats but in the end their ship sank.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CptMonkey

I don’t think it ever will. It’s acting like religion acts. No one can question the almighty brexit. The tories are the priests of it. Those who are against it are shouted down as remoners. The new heretics.

what other country could boris Johnson be leader ?

Nigel Farage married has had German and Irish wives. His children have German passports. He was also an MEP. There is no profile.

H. H. Asquith

I mentioned in a post a few days ago that as long as the Brexit government and its supporters cannot even admit that Brexit is a problem and that it's failing badly, it's very difficult to see how they can remedy the numerous downsides. How can you solve a problem if you flatly deny the problem even exists?

We're into 'ideological regime in denial of reality' territory here.

• Advertisement

Measuring the success or failure of Brexit within a matter of months of it happening is pointless.

Especially when those months coincide with a pandemic lockdown.

It will take years to determine the ability of the world's 5th largest economy to withstand the economic shockwaves and forge new trading arrangements - and where will the EU be economically in a decade's time ?

The first real test is not a headline-grabbing turkey shortage or concessions over sausage imports but how countries respond once furloughs end and inflation begins to rise.

It's certainly in Ireland's best interests if the UK does make a decent fist of the near-future as we have too much tied up with the Brits to want to see them fail.

Advertisement