Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

What about that oul laneway the boss man had to follow you in & lift the mower a touch over a stump or other.

Seem to remember it caused a bit of debate on here over it.any reason its not being remedied by now or would it just not be silage time if it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭farmerphil135

There was a few things i can remember.

the videos being too long, i agree some are quite long and i like to think we've got better on that especially since liv has started editing the videos, tho i will say from my youtube stats videos under 20mins do not preform as well as videos over 20mins

my intro being annoying, from my youtube stats any video where i dont do my opening speel within 10sec of starting has a much higher drop off rate than videos where i do

the "poor mouth" stick, i regret saying what i said in that video, it was just one of them days and i vented my frustration in a video, in hindsight i shouldnt of mentioned it. things are better now but the root cause of it and the lack of investment in the farm yard, staff, etc. is down to the tillage crisis of 2016 where we lost our shirts due to bad weather, it also didnt help that beef wasnt a great trade for the following years.

they are fair everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we are what you see and we will never please everyone

when uploading a video you can tick a box to say the video contains sponsored content, which promts a little tag on the video for a few seconds when you start watching, which is rarely ever used by anyone, generally speaking if theres a link in the description theres some form of sponsorship going on.

ive turned down quite a bit, from torches to animal products to demos to parts and tools to apps to websites to services. all for different reasons form bad experiences, bad products, poor design, no relevance to the channel, no use for the product, competitors to companies already working with, which would probably be the biggest end of it and the hardest to get your head round

some of ye here hit the nail on the head, its ROW issues 3 farms and 1 house, no one wants to be helping the other and afraid of getting caught in telephone wires supplying the house, tho we did solve the problem for going back in with the baler but for fairly obvious reasons i couldnt let on.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

New video from Evenflow is as mad as ever. Some trailer! Morris trailers I think made it. Has two rails either side to keep bales on board. I would have thought they still need straps though. Curtain side truck trailers still need straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Is it fair to say the slurry side of the business would be the money making side of the contracting business and the silage/tillage etc is done to keep costs down for the farm side of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Is all your grain kept for animals on the farm or is any of it sold to other farmers/ feed mills?

Please keep the into, I like it.

Have you plans to develop the farm shop further? Will you keep it as a farm shop or will you try expand?

How far ahead are your videos planned? Aside from the obvious farming jobs that are upcoming, eg finishing slurry, housing, animals to factory. Do you have plans for other videos made that aren't on farm, eg like the liffey mills tour video?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Great video, yes I think they do need straps. The top rows don't have much holding them in, maybe because of the bottom row being on edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Great channel Phil. Keep up the good work.

are ye well in your way out of the financial difficulty now from the bad harvest?

will you stick with taking all sorts of calves, good, bad and indifferent?

Do the videos take up a lot of your time?

You seem to genuinely get on great with your family which is great to see too

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mitchells33

Great channel Phil, keep the videos coming.

I like the fact that ye work with older tractors, everything does not have to shiny and new. You are honest about how you do things and the system ye have in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Tileman

Much enjoy the longer videos than the short ones myself. Around 20-25 is the sweet spot but a few of your epic harvest ones were excellent.

Try make some more time for yourself and liv away from farm. U don’t notice the tears going by and you’ll be still doing the same thing in 40 years so try enjoy the best years if yer lives.

keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

pretty much yes, the piping is the biggest end of what we do, the silage is a far cry from what we used to do especially the baling. the tillage is solely to keep feed costs down on the farm

just curious did anyone else get the vibe that the video was an advertisement for the trailer???

for the past few years everything weve grown weve fed to the cattle but this year we have grain to sell so the debate is wheter to sell to a mill take less for it but have no more work involved or sell it to farmers at a higher price but have to process it, treat it and bag it.

we plan on expanding what we have to sell in the short term and are planning on building a proper farm shop/cafe and a museum for all the vintage stuff within the next few years

99% theres no planning in it, its quite literally today were doing such a job and itd make for a decent video so i bring all my gear along, thats why sometimes my videos are a week or 2 old or quite literally made the day before i need them

dont have many planed videos ahead, i was to do a factory tour but they never got back to me but i may be videoing a massive tractor collection soon other than that nothing

were getting there slowly but surely, if beef prices hold out into the spring without any hiccups we should be able to put a good bit of the debt behind us

we will yes, we had originally planed on getting into numbers of cattle and then start buying continentals for finishing but the profit margins are to similar and all wed end up doing is tying up a huge amount money into the same number of cattle for the same return

not really when im working and filming i have to film around working not work around filming. every video takes 2-3 hours to edit but it depends on the number of shots in the video, also youll know how busy i am at a job by the number of different angles i have in a video

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

How ya Phil? I enjoy watching your videos. Fair play to you and your family. All the best with the businesses.

Yeah I did. That's YouTube though. I've nothing against it really. There are advertisements everywhere now. The only guys I ever saw to not do advertising were OLF, oliver farmboy66 and western truck and tractor repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Thanks for all the videos Phil. Really enjoy them and for me the main attractions are 1. the variety of stuff ye do and most importantly 2. its honest and shows the ups and downs of the family farm. Lovely to see the family all taking an active role too.

My own preference would be the 20-25 minute mark but the odd long one is great. The combine repair this year was epic.

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

@farmerphil135 welcome to Boards! Savage that yer on here to give an insight. Hopefully ya'll contribute elsewhere in the Farming section too.

I like your videos. They would be my #1 place to head to for content. You're nearly unique in that you have such a wide range of things on the farm, and there's so much variety to the day to day work. It's great to see. I'd have no complaints about the length of videos, if anything I'd like more!

Would ye ever consider selling some of the machinery ye don't use? I think you said you'd 28 tractors. Would it be better to have 15/20 that are constantly used including the vintage ones? You've said yourself that the place needs a bit of investment. Interesting to hear about the debt and how that's impacted ye. Without ya being on here we'd probably never have known. Do the negative comments on the videos piss ya off when viewers may not know the full story behind why something is as it is?

Keep up the good work. The channel is a credit to you and the family.

Finally, mind the pumpkins. I've booked in to go get one late October :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thought that myself - one part especially seemed to linger at the Morris sign on it - then I thought what would they get out of advertising on that channel. Would have been better off going to either yourself or Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Think the farmer in that video actually bought that trailer, has a grain trailer made by them in it too

Ken wouldn’t be far from me here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

That's a cool looking heifer standing to his right as he counts the stock.

Gas to see some of the critics run into the woodwork when one of the lads they're slating comes on here.

Laura farms is well worth a look...Solely for the tillage content of course.😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

yes if i could have my way id be shifting a good bit of the older machinery we dont use to buy better more practical kit like trading in our old trailed mowers and buying a wide topper.

no we wouldnt sell any of the vinatge tractors, they all have stories and theyll make great additions to our planned museum. also if you havent noticed we are hoarders😂

sometimes they do yes especially when theres a reason for it but my hands are tied and i cant explain it in the video. but you have to take it like water off a ducks back its all part and parcel of putting yourself out there on social media

thank you 👍️

they still get there product put infront of 50 odd thousand views and got the main selling point ranted about "NO STRAPS!" it may not seem as effective as getting a youtuber to use it and review it but its still effective and very easy to consume advertising. but thats the cynic in me telling me that

dont get me wrong ive nothing against the man or the channel and theyve done a great job building it and there production is on a different level but its not my cup of tea. also its not like he hasnt done advertising before as the lucky days video was a 16min add

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Its a good YouTube with lots of craic and the video was about machinery. The boys don’t be looking for free stuff and pushing merch and farm shops and herd watch at every turn, they are into fun and craic and fair play to them. Entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Would the double Pottingers of stayed if the cheque book had allowed...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone see Tom Pemberton injecting his cows today? What are those syringes like to buy - seem like a good job from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Farmer Dan

The Sterimatic consists of a Needle Guard and Stericap which attach onto many standard multi-dose syringes.

The system has been designed to take the worry out of giving injections (subcutaneous or intramuscular) by automatically cleaning and protecting the needle. This helps to;

• Reduce needle-stick injuries
    • Reduce infection and abscessing
    • Reduce disease transmission

the only reason they left was the back mower was already sold and there wasnt another to be got till February 😉

they're a great job for vaccinating, i think our last one cost €25 the only thing to watch out for is some are 2ml and some are 5ml but they save a lot of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Elephant in the room question Phil, is all your time and effort well rewarded from your tube? Obviously don’t mention numbers, that’s your business, but would you say you get a wage a week from it all?

Advertisement