Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭emaherx

What was the machine?

That sort of advertising is worth more to a small company than a large one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭DBK1

If I tell you the machine it would be figured out very quick who the YouTuber and company are so I don’t want to.

They were delighted, as he said a stand at the ploughing would cost an awful lot more than the one free machine cost and if they sold 60-70 units from the ploughing they’d be over the moon with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The poster.

There's no market for posters on boards using their position of influence (the poster doesn't have one) to take payment from companies for fake reviews.

I'm not the one who brought up the conversation about conventional advertising, pop up ads on youtube videos. I'm talking about the advertising in video which is veiled as a review.

As for your comment saying "ah sure we all do it". I've never once looked to get something for free from a company. I may have said "would you throw in X" if I'm buying another product but again, that's completely different from the likes of Adrian who's getting free stuff and then telling everyone else how great it is, which in turn leads people watching like my old man to take this at face value.

Everything is great when it's free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

You keep going on about you father being nieve. To be blunt, how is that anyone else's problem other than that of his family? It's a bit much slagging off others so as to protect him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

For posters on boards, there is or was anyway. Over on the bargain alerts forum there is an amazon prime thread. People were posting links of "bargains", those links they posted were referral links of sorts (no sure of the correct terminology), so the poster would get a tiny payment in the form of an amazon gift balance for every purchase from the link. Its banned now.

I know you don't want to give away too much information. But did the youtuber purchase the machine afterwards (ie put their money where their mouth is)?

lol so you're defending shysters now?

I'm sure if your auld lad of 75 had someone knock on the door selling roof repairs and they did a poor job, you wouldn't be happy.

Not just my auld lad by the way. There was literally a post in this thread a few pages back saying their dad bought a log splitter based on iFarms video.

If you actually see nothing wrong with reviews given in exchange for freebies then I'd start to think you are benefitting from it yourself..

So you have or you haven't asked for something for free? Sounds like you have "can you throw in X" is literally asking for something for free, you know something extra that wasn't included in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

99% of people including my oul lad can smell bullshit a mile away and are perfectly capable of making up their own mind about the merits of any product. The more praise a product gets, the more scrutiny it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Suckler

The salient point in all of this: You don't like it? Don't watch it.

No, there was no money from the youtuber! I’m not sure if they let him keep the machine they sent him, they possibly did but I will find out for sure.

Either way they viewed it as a good business move due to the sales received afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nice video from Harry's Farm justifying the spend on the Case combine in comparison with a contractor.

That’s it in a nutshell. I’d have no interest whatsoever in looking at them so I don’t! But they obviously get plenty of people that do have an interest and so they make a few pound or save a few pound on products. Fair play to them, but it probably should be revealed what they receive in return for the reviews for the sake of honesty.

I think you're playing dumb now.

There's a world of difference between getting things for free and buying a product for a substantial amount and asking would they throw in a product of negligible value as part of the deal.

There's a world of difference between me negotiating a deal and iFarm getting free stuff in exchange for good reviews.

The business is not selling me a product at a loss with the aim of me spreading word on how great the product is. If a neighbour came to me asking about it I'd be open and transparent and say they did a good deal, threw in this or that etc.

If you actually think it's the same thing, why was there regulations brought in for facebook/instagram users to state whether they are getting paid to advertise a product?

Shysters should be called out when they're misleading people.

Not playing dumb at all,

You asking for the free item, getting it and then raving about the good deal/service to your neighbor is exactly the same thing, scale is a little smaller, but that would be part of the reason a seller would give you an additional item at a loss.

What regulations exist for Facebook that don't exist for YouTube? They have same sort of influence.

Post edited by emaherx on

Speaking of things that are different there is definitely a big difference between someone coming to your door to solicit services such as roof repairs then doing a bad job compared to a YouTuber saying his Krone mower is better than a Kverneland mower, whether or not he got a discount on the Krone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭straight

Ya, fair bad manners to come on here bad mouthing YouTubers behind their back. I wonder how did pussy's old lad get to 75 while being as naive as he claims. 🤔

Do you have the same condescending comments when pensioners are scammed of their life savings at the door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭straight

Hardly comparable at any level. Just take a break from YouTube I'd say.

At the very worst the YouTuber is possibly giving you bad advice they aren't actually trying to take a pensioners life savings.

Even if you took them 100% at their word you are not going to just buy a Krone mower based solely on their advice unless you happened to be in the market for a very similar machine. To be fair to the YouTuber they were in the market for a mower found one at the best price they could and made a review based on a relatively short period of time of having it , if they were not fairly happy with it at the end of the day they'd probably try a different manufacturer for similar discounts especially since they had it out on demo to begin with. It's hardly like they were trying to peddle some Micky Mouse brand over premium ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭maidhc

The YouTube guys are entertaining (to a point anyway), they don’t pretend to be experts or particularly qualified in anyway. If someone likes a product they are using/promoting and is swayed to buy it so be it.

I like iFarm, he is making a living with a very modest holding. Presumably the YouTube is a reasonable “off farm” income for him, so I don’t see an issue at all. Let’s not all be begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I see Farmer Phil has gone on a holiday to the UK. I hope he actually takes a meaningful amount of time off rather than just a weekend. I really enjoy his videos but can see him badly needing a bit of work life balance.

I think there is someone from on here putting videos up on YT call 'Part time farmer'. Looks to be in Tipp and runs a few Renaults. No dialogue from what I've seen so far, just machines working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I've been watching him. Really tidy Renaults reseeding a steep field latest video. Has some really nice kit. Like the Matbro shovel. There was one of them in Condons machinery in Cork. Only one I ever saw.

That's the one. I presume that's the Galtees in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

The lad who makes the tipsy bin was interviewed on a podcast called that great business show a couple of months ago and mentions the reactions he got to his product after ifarmwefarm featured it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Advertisement