Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I’ve no issue with any of them getting discounts and free stuff but just consistent in what you’re saying to ppl

cows pay the bills but will only buy a cheap cubicle mat and buy machinery instead

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Jim Simmental

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I see a lot of people defending youtubers and their sneakiness regarding new products..."ah sure who could blame them", "they should make hay while the sun shines" etc.

The problem with getting freebies is that reviews and recommendations can't be trusted. Companies don't give freebies for the good of their health, they give them to advertise. I've already seen someone in this thread say their auld fella watches iFarm and after the logsplitter review he went and bought one.

If a salesman comes to your door and they tell you a product can do this, that and the other and then you buy it and it's not as good as they said, you wouldn't be happy.

And as for people talking about how they deserve it after buying the drone and editing and all that. What happened to doing something for the love of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭emaherx

Not sure what people seem to expect from YouTube at this stage but you don't have to watch it.

It's nothing more than a social media outlet for self produced content. The vast majority of content is poor and often just pure nonsense, it's always nice to find content that can be educational and entertaining.

This tread has completely changed from listing good content channels to just moaning about various content producers, YouTube is free for anyone to use, either watching or to upload to, maybe instead of moaning some of you could do better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I watch a few overseas farming channels (not the big outfits) just to see different methods of farming, & often the scenery in the background

Farmer Phil has a bit of variety with the tillage, maize, wholecrop etc, which I wouldn't too familiar with . so if that's on the menu I watch otherwise I scan through the vid.

at this stage all the rest I avoid, would prefer watch/listen to some music from my (misspent) younger years,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭greenfield21

If you're like me and never really understood the new Zealand dairy model then " the once a day farmer" is a great watch. Very educational and great to see how they do things over there. Interesting to see things like his fert use, sheds and slurry use etc. May have been already mentioned. Also I assume he would be your average farmer over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Some of us kind of do because we have relations who are easily influenced by these people and might end up spending money on something they recommend. People should be entitled to air their opinions on the youtube channels. Companies are throwing products at them instead of taking out advertising in the IFJ. Everything is great when you get it for free. I don't believe for one minute that Ifarm paid full rrp for that mower and got the stand thrown in. Taking that mower, say he cuts all his silage with it, it will take him over 10years to cover the cost of buying the mower, thats not including operating costs or maintenance, it might seem like I'm criticizing him but that is the reality of buying new machinery.

It's not free at all. If Youtube is free, why is there a paid version?

Nothing is free.

It is free (costs you nothing to view or upload), there is also a paid version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

Nah,, I'd say your coming across as jealous more than anything else. Maybe best for you If you don't bother watching in future is say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

YouTube and all other social media platforms are advertising platforms.

Would highly recommend the social dilemma on Netflix for anyone stuck for something to watch as the evenings get longer. Quite the eye opener

To quote the documentary, if you're not paying for the product, You are the product. The advertisers are the customers

Post edited by JustJoe7240 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Odelay

Had a Déjà vu moment watching this weeks video from IFarmWeFarm. Below is October 2019

I'm paying for it through advertisements. If you're not paying for a product, you are the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

Hardly need to go to YouTube to be surrounded by advertising. There are Ads on boards.ie and there is a premium ad free option for it too. I understand how advertising works but I don't make very many purchasing decisions based on YouTube Ads, so yes it's still free and cost me nothing.

Sometimes if I find content online I really like I click on an occasional ad to generate a little more income for the person producing the content but still doesn't cost me anything or commit me to buying anything.

Plenty of advertising on TV too, even on premium Channels are you not part of the product there too?

How much of a discount do you think he really got from a local dealer that quite likely never herd of him or wouldn't feel that many of the local clients would be influenced by him?

Netflix's many emotive documentaries certainly don't do its own advertising any harm. See how you just highly recommend them and 2 posts in a row are a direct quote. Imagine you paid for their service ad free and still ended up being their product.

Well as long as you don't make purchasing decisions based on youtube videos, that's fine. Unfortunately there's lots of lads out there who don't understand all the freebies behind it all and think these youtubers are being genuine with their reviews.

I don't know why you're acting like I'm against advertising. I'm against advertising which is disguised as a genuine honest review.

The great thing about that is at least you can trust their recommendation and they're recommending it because they think it's good, not because they were paid to tell you to recommend it.

Maybe read back through your last few posts you might get the idea as to why someone might have the mistaken notion that you may be against advertising.

• Advertisement

Who's they? Were they not paid by Netflix and by extension us? What about their other documentaries that get similar responses and recommendations by other groups? We all trust the ones we agree with 😉.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The likes of youtube etc don't give a flying fig if you buy or never buy anything from the ads it shows. They make their money by you being there. They sell advertising to people and display it on your screen. I guarantee you that if we both watched the same videos, the ads displayed would be different. That's down to your digital ID following you around the net. Same goes for Facebook or other Google companies. Look up the "Consent" cases across the EU where the tech companies are trying to get around the GDPR stuff. It's mad what they can do and are doing in order to build a picture of each user.

Back on topic, IFarm WeFarm is 100% looking for free mats this week. Seems he was at it a couple of years ago too but must not have got much interest. Will keep an eye now if he manages to get some this time. All these guys do look for freebies. No more than any of the rest of us would, regardless of being on the internet or not. I bet we've often gone in to buy something or whinged to some company looking for free stuff or bigger discounts. It's only natural :-)

I'm simply trying to point out the level of expenditure he has had in the last 24 months considering he is only milking approximately 50 cows. He uploads a video on the finances of the small scale farming, talks about the importance of the cow, but has only made investments in machinery over the last while. Also talks about his workload, but is buying machinery to replace work a contractor is doing, therefore increasing his workload. I'm entitled to point out the contradictions he is making. Compare the level of machinery farmer Phil has purchased in the same time considering the herd size and contracting work they have.

What have I to be jealous of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Netflix revenue model is not advertising? You pay for the streaming service, Not an ad free version. Your last comment makes no sense

Farmhand would have given the discount, they already sent him a heap of clothing. Weren't farmhand passing around an amazone spreader to all the youtubers in springtime? Look at the advertising campaign JFC ran in the spring time. Look at MC, he has been wearing branded clothing in some of his video, they were probably freebies sent to him, but its advertising for DairyPower and AgriLand. Companies couldn't do any trade shows or demo days for the last few years and these youtubers have a targeted audience of approx 50k weekly, so its easy to give demos and discounts to them rather than the costs involved in a field day. Farming youtuber's videos can be divided into what I did this week and look at this product I've been given to review.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭youllbemine

Slightly off topic but I've got a sub to FarmFlix. Have to say I'm a big fan of their model. €52 for 12 months which is a good price considering the quality of the content and access to the back catalogue (hundreds of videos).

The only problem I have with it is there is I feel there is little variety with the constant silage contractor and big dairy man videos.

Could do with some niche/alternative enterprises. Sometimes I feel they should split it into FarmFlix and TractorFlix.

With regards to YouTube, there should be a warning either in the video or the description which stated that this is a sponsored video or a discount was given on this product, as Instagram have.

Have recently deleted YouTube from my phone because ast week I logged how many hours I was spending watching farming and gardening videos. I can tell you I would be better off if I read some books or went out working a second job!

The video they did on the peat harvesting was interesting.

Never suggested their revenue was advertising based just that their production line of essentially click bait emotive documentaries that cater for all tastes is essentially good advertisment for themselves, after a poster suggested that you can trust the content as they are not being "paid" to create it. My point was that they hardly trust the content of all of these documentaries on the same basis, as Netflix a paid platform no more cares about it's content than YouTube does.

Clothing and extended demos and some discount likely but probably not as much as some on here think. Last company I worked for almost every customer I visited was wearing a hat or a t-shirt or a body warmer with the company logo on, everyone loves a freebie.

50k worldwide subscribers most of which probably are not active farmers or potential customers of the higher end Machinery. I'd bet they do much better on the little stuff.

Post edited by emaherx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭DBK1

I have a friend who’s a manager in a small Irish manufacturing company. They provided a machine of theirs for free to one of the bigger Irish youtubers last year. He used it in one of his videos and for 3 weeks after it they couldn’t keep the phones and emails answered. They got hundreds of enquiries from all around the world and they’ve estimated to have sold 60 - 70 units because of it.

They’re now in “negotiations” for some time with one of the bigger English youtubers to provide them with a machine and also bring them to Ireland on an all expenses paid trip and it’s not as simple as they thought. There are plenty of extra demands also.

Anyone who thinks these lads aren’t getting massive perks from what they do is very naive.

I don’t watch any of them apart from a few mins of an odd video based on recommendations from here and I can’t understand how people would waste their time looking at them. They talk about how busy they are and still have time to spend hours recording and editing videos. When we’re busy at contracting we hardly get a chance to stop to eat, if someone asked me to start making videos they’d probably get driven over.

But if there are people who want to watch them and that results in them getting big perks then I say fair play to them but they should have to state at the start of every video what products they were provided with for free or at what percentage discount. Otherwise it’s misleading advertising.

Advertisement