Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

8 mins, that's mad, what about music videos typically between 3 and 5 mins.

Youtube is gas, videos of logs burning with several million views

Maybe a "Our Farming Week Video" on a Friday and a "Q & A" video once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭farmerphil135

sorry should of explained better, video needs to be 8mins long to have mid rolls which is where the money is in it, i dont know much about how the music videos work but their millions of views wouldnt be worth tens of thousands of views on a vlogging channel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Phil, I watched a lit of your videos and noticed you seem to have a lot going on. Have you ever considered sitting down and simplyfing things some bit. Might reduce the daily stress some bit. We're all quilty of it I know, but keeping it simple is that bit easier on the mind.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Phil I watched your video on planting the spuds, I reckon there must have been plenty skips in the drills going by the messing ye had, I remember back in the early 80’s with an uncle if there were skips with the same planting gear there would be hell to pay. Drop every second Phil, just like the oil in the pump of the slurry tanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Everyone’s a critic ha lads 😉

I say fair play to anyone willing to put themselves out there like Phil and others are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Phil, just wondering would you be worried that into the future the tractors you’ll be buying to replace current fleet will be a lot more electronic and not as easy fix yourselves?

it’s one of the big pluses of your operation that you and your father can fix everything in-house yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Phil, what's the history of the castle?

Were you using volac olympian or blossom previous to the elvor? I thought I seen a volac bag at one stage. In a recent video you said the elvor and calf 18 crunch gave better performance. Its it much better than the volac? We usually use Blossom and corby rock crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

young lad (5) was watching YouTube on the tablet lately and stumbled on a video in some Muslim country I assume of a bullock tied with chains in an open area and a lad going through the whole process of slaughtering him. I don’t know did it show the actual killing but it showed before and after and left very like to the imagination

There’s lots of things I’d do differently or invest a bit here and a bit there to simplify things. Like moving cattle round the yard but I’ve no say with the money so Unless I spend my own it won’t get done

There is plenty but it’s as much about having the craic as anything. Probably going to have to invest in a slightly more reliable planter if we go down the road of selling spuds

• Advertisement

It is yes. It’s one of the reasons why we’ve been a bit slow to move on from the 6200s but we’re luck to have Robert working for us as he’s training to be a case mechanic and fierce good with modern electronic and troubleshooting. The 6499 was slipping in 4a through to 4d if you weren’t careful and we were told it’s be a full rip out the box and replace gears and spend big money but Robert went routing at it ruled out gearbox issues and found the clutch pedal was only at 87% depressed through the onboard computer. Turned out the bolt for adjusting the height the clutch pedal comes to was down to much and not letting the clutch fully release causing the problem.

The castle was destroyed by Cromwell while he was on his crusade as the owner had founded/built his own church and wasn’t falling in line. A small settlement was built off the back of it over the following years which was abandoned after the famine there used to be 184 people living in the town land. We came to own it after my great grand father paid off the debt off the farm from his 2 aunts whose nephew who came from Australia to fight in WW1 came back from the war farmed for a few years then mortgaged the farm for £700 for a ticket back to Australia.

we were using volac Olympian. Cheap and cheerful. We weighed the 1st batch of calves coming in today and they averaged roughly around 180kg (I haven’t done the figures yet) which in comparison to last years off the top of my head is the same average but these calves were weighed a month earlier than last years and this batch is mostly made up of late calves (April/may) and last years late calves averaged 164kg a month later. It’ll be December before alls in and weighed and I’ve time to sit down and do the maths to compare the 2 years and that’ll show what the difference is

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭youllbemine

I posted a comment in IFarmWeFarm's most recent video of him cutting up the trees. It had been deleted and other comments which mention ivy and how it is in fact a native plant not invasive as described by Adrian have been deleted. Totally uncalled for. I know it's his channel and whatever but I was just stating facts. Not the first time I've seen people complaining of comments being deleted on his channel..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭jaymla627

That tree is rotten with Ash die back, wasn't the ivy at all, the fungus on the tree and the black pits scorched into the rings of the bigger lumps are a sure fire give away, he's fairly precious that chap, his way our no way I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I know your cast in the dye massey men, but a few 14/15 plate 160 case pumas would be a great contractor tractor that's not loaded electronics and are fairly reasonably priced...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

He had a water heater explode showering hot water over the pit in the parlour while he was miking.

He installed the replacement heater making the same mistake as the first one. My comment re same was deleted and he passed some remark about it being checked by a plumber in a following video.

Hope I'm wrong but he could be getting a hot shower some morning in a couple of years time.

The ivy might have brought it down prematurely with the extra weight on it but I can assure you that a healthy tree is not affected by ivy. It is a native plant and when he says along the lines of - "the countryside is destroyed with ivy". What that actually means is - "I don't like the look of ivy on trees". It actually doesn't kill or suck the life out of trees at all. It plays a very important role in biodiversity too. Look around, it is one of the few plants that is actually flowering at this time of the year which benefits the insects and then provides a source of food for birds later in the year. Do a google of it if anyone doesn't believe me.

Ivy is not an invasive species and it is native.

Actually quite annoyed by him deleting that comment. He should be a decent skin and say in the intro of his next video that he has learned a few things about ivy since he posted the last video and explain to his very large audience that he wasnt totally accurate in his rant on the last video against ivy. He has a duty to not be spouting lies as there are thousands of people aling with a lot of children watching these videos who now think that ivy is an invasive species and should be got rid of at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭straight

I'd say u might be overreacting a small but there. He probably didn't realise people were going to pick up invasive as meaning introduced from abroad.

Anyone out there farming knows there was no ivy like now if you go back 20 or 30 years. It is doing alot of damage. Didn't Google it now like you suggest but I know what I see like.

Fair enough I am over reacting. I reread my post and comes across as a bit OTT alright. Look all I'm saying is there was a few inaccuracies and made me think that if he said something inccorect about cattle or silage making or something people would be on to him but because ivy is a plant noone cares really. Have to say I really enjoy all his stuff and all the other youtubers. Hours of entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I think i watched a video before where you had come up with the idea for the dairy to beef enterprise and showed your dad the sums of how it would all work?, it was an interesting video at the time. Must be hard to work somewhere but not get as big a say as you'd like and yet be unable to really just up sticks and go elsewhere. Hopefully that changes for you in the future.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭minerleague

Think maybe might be more ivy because everywhere has strand of electric fence keeping cattle back from hedgerows now compared to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

I've looked for that episode but cannot find it. Anyone got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

I think thats it, there is a lot more of it than I remember but you can see how the cattle go mad for it when they do get near it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Phil, was rewatching your video review of the Abbey dribble bar tanker and you showed two cobo plugs in the cab - one for diverting between mascerator and arms and a second one for rear work lights - and were saying you could only use one at a time as you only had a single socket.

Something like this off ebay might be what you want and as you carry it to whatever tractor is pulling it:

Does the rear work light have a switch on its plug or do you just plug it in and out as you require it? I'm adding rear work lights to my tanker and was wondering what way the factory done them (or does anyone else have them fitted?).

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

Pretty sure it was one where phil explained the monetization etc on youtube but i could be wrong there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not surprising, that lad only cares about making himself look good. Watch any clip where he leaves the camera down to do something and you'd swear he was the main attraction in Tullamore show.

I took a real disliking to him when he said he bought lights for the tractor that were rubbish yet he was never going to give any bad reviews of products he bought. We all know why that is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

Some people look for something to annoy them. No one forces you to watch any of these.

Not giving bad reviews is extremely common across all types of youtube/Instagram channels and it's very obvious why.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Jack98

I know it’s probably been covered here before but the video IfarmWefarm had up of the viability of herds of his size in Ireland going forward was the epitome of why there is going to be a significant decline in the number of young people entering the agricultural industry over the next 10/15 years.

Actively encouraging young lads to work all the hours god gives them so that one day they might be able to buy a big shiny piece of metal after 20 years of killing yourself on the farm for little return, sacrificing relationships and no social life just for the love of farming?

The sad reality is that there is a lot of farmers who carry on like Adrian does basically married to the farm, no time for as little as a weekend off no mind a weeks holiday in the summer and they expect the younger generation coming through to carry on like they ?!

Granted the man is an exceptionally tidy and well informed farmer which no one can deny but his representation of what life will behold you if you’re a young person watching his videos looking to go home to run a similar sized operation are totally misrepresentative. There are well established farmers milking 3-4 times the amount of cows he does and they don’t make half the capital expenditure in a year compared to what he has in this past 12 months.

Back to the video I mentioned at the beginning, I think for a YouTuber to be genuine to his audience he should disclose not figures of course, but if he has income outside of the farming income that props up his income or if he is supported by a partner during these mad spending campaigns.

Perhaps the kind of setup he is running is attainable at the number of cows he operates at but do we actively as an industry want to encourage our young people to marry themselves to the farm to attain this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭straight

Sure he spent feck all. Dunno what lads are getting so excited about. Lads like him have their main tractor paid off and just continue payments on the newer model. Hedger was very cheap, loader was second hand, pounder had a trade in against it, cow box had a trade in against it. Log splitter is pennies as he'll have that forever. Some people need to realise that pulling down the guy above you will not actually elevate yourself.

As for being married to the farm. Well, that's dairy farming if you want to do it right.

And so what about the next generation. Main thing for me is my family will be happy at what they are doing and I feel no pressure to force them into farming to keep the industry going. Leave them go away and work at anything else if it makes them happier.

Advertisement