Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Completely agree.

Or imagine you had written Father Ted for an Irish language audience.

Millions of people would have missed out on a great modern piece of Irish comedy writing. Yeah sure, you could have subtitled it, but it's not really the same.

Producing something like that in English, doesn't stop any of the Irish language speakers from enjoying it - because they're all fluent in English. If there was something great produced on TG4, millions would miss out on it because they can't be arsed reading subtitles and can't be arsed learning a language that is basically useless to them in the vast majority of their everyday life.

I doubt very much if our ancient ancestors would have had the same idealistic view of their language as some of the modern proponents. Language was used for survival and efficiency of society - a pragmatic tool. And it is still largely used for that purpose to this day. The fact that our ancient traditions, culture and practices were tied up in the Irish language, is because that was the tool widely used during that time. Not necessarily because Irish is any more special than any other language - it was simply the tool of choice during that time.

The practices and traditions that our ancient ancestors considered important to their society, were inter-dependent on language of course, but it was those traditions that were mostly significant. Not which language they happened to be speaking at the time. Look at Britain - they spoke many different languages over the centuries - celtic / latin / germanic - but they didn't lose their cultural identity as a group of people.

The very fact that Ireland has a vibrant culture and a strong connection with our history and traditions - despite the vast majority of our people not speaking Irish - would seem to be very strong proof that a group of people do not lose their cultural identity, just because they stop speaking one language and start speaking another language. Otherwise we would have lost our identity as a people a very long time ago, when the Brits beat the language out of us - but we didn't. The language was not essential for keeping hold of our identity as a people.

Unless of course, you want to believe like I said, that the fluent Irish speakers over in the gaelteacht, are the sole gatekeepers of what it means to be Irish. And they alone have been responsible for keeping our cultural identity alive all these years... just by continuing to speak a language. It's a nonsense idea, but there are plenty of Irish language enthusiasts who are arrogant and naive enough to believe it. (not to mention insulting enough to suggest it to people's face).

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

“Language was used for survival and efficiency of society - a pragmatic tool.”

Nonsense. Utter pseudo-intellectual nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A worn out cliche at this stage.

How does that work in the Americas, Carribean etc? If they haven't got their 'first languages' anymore they're somehow cultureless nonentities? Pure nationalistic herrenvolk snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Nope, it's the truth.

But it makes for a very uncomfortable truth, when you're trying to push the cultural significance of something that our ancestors used mostly as a pragmatic tool to make their lives easier and more efficient.

It's the same in any language. Just because you had Shakespear crafting something aesthetically pleasing out of his language - doesn't mean that the language in and of itself was a piece of art. It was a tool that you could use to make something. It was his talent for crafting words that was impressive, not which language he happened to be using.

This is why it didn't matter that we lost our language and gained a different one. We dropped one useful tool, and picked up another very useful tool. And our cultural identity remained intact.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement

I don't understand people who want the Irish language completely gone. Not everything needs to be utilitarian. They're often so aggressive too - as bad as the zealous contingent of the Irish speakers whom they complain about. Nobody's making them learn it after school (I actually do agree it shouldn't be mandatory for leaving cert, but neither should maths or English imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

"We dropped one useful tool, and picked up another very useful tool. And our cultural identity remained intact."

Perhaps .... If Homer J. Simpson were a historian.

Complete rubbish and a total misunderstanding of the depths and importance of what a language is. A mother singing her sick child to sleep is utilising a tool, is she? Or a lover declaring his love to his betrothed. Or a widow thinking about her late husband, alone in the dark.

This kind of faux-utilitarian so-called “facts and logic” dehumanising nonsense is common amongst the computer programmers who use this forum but it has no basis in reality.

I have observed that they want it to be removed from their orbits for two reasons:

1. Mammy and Daddy made them do a boring degree they didn’t want to do in computers and now they are lashing out by insisting that everything should be “logical,” “efficient,” and utilitarian. Like that works in the real world.
    2. They were crap in Irish in school and now think of it only as a subject they were bad at. In fact it was probably the only subject they were bad at. Which they resent to this day and take out on Irish speakers who have had nothing to do with the education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

I agree Irish speakers are no discriminated against just because someone doesn't speak to them in Irish.

However, they are discriminated against when the State doesn't speak to them in Irish.

The OP's beef seems to be that the State is at long last doing what the people have wanted for a long time - respect for language rights.

• Advertisement

What’s that got to do with *checks notes* Irish on road signs. What’s annoying people on this thread is a minority language appearing not just on road signs but even in the name of an event run by a private cinema.

There's a subtle irony in your post.

On the one hand you say Father Ted couldn't have worked in Irish - "Yeah sure, you could have subtitled it, but it's not really the same."

Then you chastise Irish speakers for wanting to keep their language as a lens through which they contribute to Ireland's history and traditions.

Maybe what they have to contribute is not really the same through English?

No two languages are the same and a translation is fine, but as you say, it's not really the same.

Can you name one public figure, one of these arrogant irish-only gatekeepers of what it means to be Irish? I doubt even one exists.

It's a pity your experience of some Irish speakers is negative, but perhaps what you've experienced is their reaction to your dismissiveness of what they have to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I was terrible at Irish in school, I actually hated it then. I'm not sure why maybe because I found it so hard to learn. But now 20 years later I wish I could speak it or have a better understanding of it. I love to hear it been spoken in person and try to speak a few words of it daily.

I beg to differ.

But notice how we don't even agree on the meaning of one word in English. I consider that a good thing, call it creative tension.

Now multiply that by all of the poetry, prose, songs and plays written in Irish that would simply be lost or at best "translated" if Gaeilge ceased to exist as a living language.

What a loss! Perish the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I was also terrible at Irish in school and for the last 20 years, i have spent it wishing that I had given it a better go in school. Last year, I got the opportunity to do an Intermediate Irish course through work and i loved it. I'm after getting a new found appreciation for the language that I wish I had when I was a kid. I've signed up to the next level of the course which actually starts for me again this Wednesday. I've always loved that we put a prominence on the Irish language in public spaces, like the train announcements for example. I feel so sorry for people who feel so put out by Irish being "imposed upon them" in their daily lives. It's not an imposition. I think it's actually a really nice thing that we do.

Discriminatio menas to be treated differently and to have rights denied. No one is denying rights to anyone. The State has an obligation to publish and inform, but it does not have an obligation to make sure every State employee speaks Irish.

Speaking Irish is a right, but having someone else to speak Irish to you - be they State employee or not - is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Try and go to most shops or run a business in Irish or ask someone on a date, the fact is 90 per cent of people are not fluent in Irish

Government body's and buildings have to have signs in Irish and English a large part of cafe retail workers are non national they don't speak Irish

Yeah speaking Irish is a right but the point is most people won't understand what you are saying

Culture changes over time in the 1800s many Irish people worked in the UK and America basically many Irish people decided it was important to be able to speak English to get a job or work most books and newspapers were published in English the no of people who spoke Irish or were fluent in it declined anyone that wants to can learn Irish ad they can learn music science etc one of the lessons of life is there's only a limited amount of skills you can learn time is limited since everyone speaks English speaking Irish has a limited value in real life unless you are a teacher or want to work in tg4

Minority languages are declining all over the world as English is the language of business and the web

It's weird the way we do the post-colonial inferiority complex thing here in comparison to other countries. You do hear similar antipathy by English speakers towards "native" or "minority" languages in places like Australia, Canada and New Zealand - but the hostility is expressed by descendants of the people who colonised those places. In Ireland, most "foreign" English speakers I've ever met who live here (generally Scots, Americans or English) are either positive about the Irish language or silent on the subject. Meanwhile, the active hostility to the Irish language in Ireland is carried out by Irish natives, many of whom pursue their hatred with a lot of energy. The British colonisers set out to wipe out Ireland's separate language, and actively pursued that policy with intensified vigour following the Act of Union in 1801. From a purely rational point of view, you have to say that they've been really successful - the Irish language is more or less dead, even if the original aim no longer matters to the British. What I think might come as a surprise to the British establishment, some 100 years after they left this part of the island, is the sheer number of "house Paddies" who seem only too willing to jump on the weakened feeble remains of the Irish language and assist it on its way to meet its maker. It doesn't surprise me; I've been listening to their kind for over 40 years. But it is odd, and seems to be (almost) unique to us. The only other similar example concerns Gàidhlig, where I've heard some hostility expressed by English speakers in central Scotland, though not on the same scale as here.

Anyway, the "house Paddies" will get their way soon enough. The last native Irish speaker hasn't died yet, but he or she has already been born. Once they're gone, Irish will become strictly a museum piece, and you can all relax.

There is a lot of that indeed, Ulysses. However I don't think it'll ever die fully thankfully. There are many advocates - not the zealous sorts whom I find obnoxious also - but those just with a love for it, who study it, teach it and write/speak in it, and who are keen to keep it alive but not interested in haranguing those who aren't bothered with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can you name one of these countries? The obvious examples I can think of don't apply. ie The US emerged from a colony, it's first language is English. I'm not saying there aren't other examples btw. Just that they aren't immediately obvious.

Father Ted was an english production. Why would it have been in Irish? Because of the setting, that's a bit ridiculous. I'm sure there are examples you could have used, but that wasn't on of them.

Pretty much every country in South America or Africa.

Well, that's clearly not true.

Brazil, nope. Portuguese is the official language. Argentina, nope also. Are you just picking countries that speak colonists languages, because that's not the same thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

all I got from the OP is that the Irish for zone seems to be zón, but theres no 'z' in Irish...

Not sure what difference you think that makes. The first language of a country is the official language. Same thing.

In brazil, the first language is Portuguese. It’s widely spoken. Absolute no idea how you think that’s the same situation as Ireland. It’s pretty much the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Pub quiz fact of the day, given someone brought Father Ted up.

The 3 main priests within the Father Ted universe are fluent Irish speakers. This is denoted by them all wearing the Fáinne and was done as a subtle nod to the language.

In real life, Frank Kelly was a fluent and passionate Irish speaker.

But given was an British production for British audiences they don't speak Irish during the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You seem to be one of the greatest advocates for the abolishment of the Irish language in this thread, as an Irish person I found this difficult to understand so I browsed through your post history on other threads, you were also very disappointed that our president didn't show up to the recent event and heavily criticised his actions. In the Irish road signs thread you pretty much continued the same tirade in this thread. The most telling post of yours was in the "Anti-British xenophobia" thread where you said that you don't understand the distrust and or dislike of the British as in your opinion "Irish and British people are much the same on the whole". Do you have a picture of the Queen over your mantel piece? I think you'd be a much happier person if you sold up and moved closer to Buckingham palace.

So if by "first" language you mean most widely spoken, then English is the first language of Ireland.

If by "first" you mean original, then Irish is the first language of Ireland, but Brazilians were speaking other languages before Portugeese.

• Advertisement

Neither of those are what first means in this context. Widely spoken has nothing to do with it. The question was, essentially, is there any other first language that is not widely spoken. How could 'first' possibly mean widely spoken in that context. Facepalm.

Nobody said anything about 'original' either. Do honest think the poster could think of any other place, other than england, that speak english for example.

As I said above 'first' language meant the first language of the state. The first language of Ireland is officially Irish. Claiming that's not the case is clueless stuff. There are many indigenous languages in Brazil, nonetheless today Portuguese is officially the state language (ie the first language) and it is also the widest spoken. The poster was looking for a country where the first state language is not spoken. This was not complicated.

Advertisement