Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Eamon Ryan doing everything he can to stop LNG imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was just about to look for this kind of information as I'm not an expert in this area, so ta for that.

However the general point I would make is that it's really complicated and this issue is just one issue related to climate change of many.

It is an argument for people to become vegan which is highly unlikely to happen and how would you work out how many people need to become vegan. And what would you do for milk and eggs no mind the meat. And if alternatives were used for cows milk what would the environment consequences of the alternatives be. That would then be the next target of the environmentalists because productions of the alternatives would have to increase.

The other day I was listening to a conversation about bathroom products, shampoo, conditioners, kitchen products also. That's another area that's being targeted. Suggestions were you could use vinegar to condition your hair.

So it's going to be never ending. Every facet of what we consume is under attack and the only way the environmentalists are going to be satisfied is if we all live like hippies. It's just not going to happen.

I'm all for doing as much as we can reduce pollution but it can only be reduced to a level and emissions can only be reduced to a level, but would that be enough to stall climate change anyway? Minefield of an issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC a hectare of hazel trees in south east england produces ~10 times the calorie content in hazelnuts that a hectare under beef production does in ireland. there's a few ifs, buts and maybes there (which could throw the figure in either direction) but i AFAIK t's beyond doubt that using land to produce beef is probably one of the most wasteful uses of land there is in terms of producing food.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There are a lot of different opinions among environmentalists. Yes, you will have the extremes who will say we should only walk, cycle or use public transport and all cars should be banned, then you would have the others who will say that aeroplanes are fine if they could use renewables or hydrogen. Same with food, some vegans, others looking at artificial meat as a solution.

So there is a spectrum of opinion. What government needs to do is pick out the most sensible policies from these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Jizique

Floating is unproven, but throw enough subsidies at it and those claiming uit is brilliant will be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I agree with the OP, I don’t see how me freezing half to death throughout the winter whilst the greens in their brand new build passive houses stay toasty warm is fair. Since when is manufacturing a brand new car ‘greener’ than keeping an existing one running? I’m interested in local environment, preserving wild areas to improve the citizens quality of life as well as retaining what biodiversity we have left. Climate change is not going to be stopped by Europe, we should be diverting all of our resources into becoming more self sufficient and insulated from the global shocks that are coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,089 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We now in the main consume what we ‘need’ food wise.... breakfast, lunch and dinner, odd snack... I don’t throw out much food, as I’d imagine most households don’t.. i don’t get stuff for the sake of it, that’s just wasting money.

the greens will want to reexamine their blight on this country and do something useful like tackling the root causes...Agriculture as per 2018 figures were responsible for 32.7 % greenhouse gas emissions in this country. Yet the agri sector simply does nothing but pay lip service to the environment and the issues it / we face...they refer to being called out on it as per their website ‘the blame game’... convenient. The greens are all but silent on this yet they are literally screaming at ordinary Joe Soaps to do more, pollute less and sacrifice greatly... so like every party in this country the greens instead of looking at business people and them fûcking up the environment for profit are maintaining their stance with the guns at the heads of the ordinary Irish person... if I drive a Rang Rover I’m the bad guy but the farmer next door with one it’s probably ok because.. “ ohh for work “

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

we should be diverting all of our resources into becoming more self sufficient and insulated from the global shocks that are coming.

This may seem like a an exaggerated dramatic statement, but an isolate approach to Global warming mitigation will result in more pain and suffering through conflict at a regional level, if not an outright global one as America and probably China look to secure resources.

Isolation leads people to basolving themselves on all sides using the argument, 'we can't do enough, so why should we try' or 'why should we do something when they aren't doing anything' as each country looks for a way out rather than the shared responsibility and holding people accountable which is intended through common agreements.

The 'ourselves only' type of political strategising is not going to end well, for anyone involved, the only question is will it be within 10 years or 100 that the price will have to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Really! That's nuts.

So roasted hazelnuts with Yorkshire pudding on Sundays then? Followed by some hazelnut ice cream. Oh wait, no we won't have any cream. Just hazelnuts then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Oh yes, of course! China is destroying the global environment so you know what, let's all join in. Just **** it all. Bright future ahead for humanity with that mindset alright.

And 'hysteria'? Are you for real? Most people have barely modified their lifestyle at all to help to any great degree. The planet's eco systems are still in rapid decline due to the unbridled level of consumption in the West of clothing, international shipments, technology, transport, building construction and food such as meat and the extremely varied internationally sourced diet. We need a whole lot more hysteria considering the **** storm that is our current environmental reality if we are to stand even the slightest chance, wayy to much discussion , we need swift action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

unfortunately i dont know our current figures of food thats landfilled, but i suspect its still very high, that 30% was from a few years ago. yup, some citizens are doing very well in regards consumption, some not so, and our production system also have a hell of a lot to answer for, this is ultimately where we re failing. again modern economic and political ideologies largely focus on the failures of the individual, and almost nothing on our production systems as a whole, this is ultimately why we ve largely failed to address our environmental issues over the last few decades.

yup, particular interest groups have also been completely preventing advancement with these issues, we clearly need to work on protecting those involved, making sure that their most critical needs will be fulfilled going forward, i.e. they wont lose their homes etc, we ll probably have to implement serious protective measures for these interest groups and sectors, while still implementing serious environmental changes in these sectors, or we re fcuked. again, yup, the voices of these interest groups are indeed extremely strong, but i think if stronger state guarantees are implemented, it might just be possible to also implement these critical environmental changes.

unfortunately at the moment, our current predominant political and economic ideologies are pretty much at odds at these critical changes that are urgently needed, so these wont come easy, i do think we re entering the era of discontent, this ll probably get very messy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the greens haven't claimed that buying a brand new car is better than keeping an existing one running. even ryan himself kept an old diesel going for years, until recently, for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Their tax policies certainly promote buying brand new, and disproportionately affect those less well off who can’t consume brand new tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Interestingly it only took about 10 years from the discovery of nuclear power till they had a nuclear power station running. If it was only discovered this year they'd be humming and hawing over it for another 30 before they'd actually try to build one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What I'd love to know is, most of our countries energy is developed by wind turbines, clean, efficient and most importantly cheap, yet most strangely our prices keep increasing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

We should buy more Chinese solar panels and electric cars in order to reduce the price of coal / oil so the Chinese can burn more of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Seems to be a repetitive style of post. “The Greens <insert made up thing>”.

The Green Party. Nature's way of letting you know your country is too wealthy

• We have, without question, the worst Green Party in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes he had a big old diesel with a big boot. He was able to take his bicycle out of it around the corner from Dail Eireann and cycle in through the front gate looking like a real planet-saver.

• Advertisement

By what metric?

Their ability to get elected? Their ability to propose legislation? Their ability to be the fall guy for successive Governments not actually enacting meaningful policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lets see what would happen over here if the tree huggers tried to block stressed motorists on their journey to work, something these dirty crusties know very little about.

Climate change needs to be addressed, nobody denies that but pissing ordinary working people off isn't the way to go about it.

And thats all the Greens in this country do is piss people off, some of the guff ryan has come out with is laughable, and thats when he is not asleep when he sould be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So it’s hazelnuts with roasties, stuffing, carrots and peas for me this Sunday ........... not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Someone should do a body count of how many lives were lost in this country with the Greens promotion of the diesel car through tax cuts.

Climate change needs to be addressed, nobody denies that but pissing ordinary working people off isn't the way to go about it.

Which policy from Fianna Gael / Fianna Fail do you think is giving Ireland the best opportunity of meeting its obligations from the Paris Agreement, that they signed us up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Did I say in the post they didn't sign us up to it, you must be mixing me up with another poster or else you seem to think I'm a FF/FG voter with is also incorrect.

What I actually was doing was pointing out the stupidity of blocking roads and how Ryan is clueless about life outside the M50, you aren't going to bring the people with you by making ridiculous comments which he does, hell even half his own party have no confidence in him.

I just wanted to clarify that your issue is with the only group advocating for doing anything.

Why is that, the Greens gets ripped to shred for any suggestions, and others get a pass for ignoring a problem we all know exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wouldn’t like to be a member of the Green Party by the end of this winter

they should stay in the comfort of the middle class dinner party set waffling on about their fears for the environment because they are so comfortable and bored in their own existence that they have fcuk all else to worry about

the devil makes work for idle hands

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Close enough actually.

Who do we think is buying all the crap produced in those polluting Chinese industrial cities?

We outsource all our unsustainable industries to China and let them destroy planet by proxy.

The CCP gangster regime don't care about us or the future of the earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Well this thread is useful. It easily identifies all the brain dead boardsies

its gas, the slight prospect of power cuts are ‘ruining Ireland’ but people who warn about consequences from climate change are all alarmists

ireland should have been preparing for the transition to carbon neutral energy for decades, but people like the OP and everyone who thanked it are the reason why we got nothing but denial and Empty rhetoric, leaving us with a mountain to climb in a very short time

Advertisement