Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

You can just imagine the squad cars arriving, sirens blaring 😂. Not. How the hell would anyone believe that rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Do you think it will change this budget... lets face it ... it won't :) .... I will eat my hat if the new taxation is introduced in 2022 more likely 2023 if they are lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not a chance I hope.

Cart before horse.

We need to decide what sort of Public Broadcasting Service we want first.

RTE’s Joe Duffy hit out at crime dramas like Love/Hate and Kin for ‘exploiting’ real people’s lives and having actors put on ‘thick Dublin accents’.

“I hate their travails being exploited by middle-class actors who are putting on their thick working-class Dublin accents and then go back to eating foie gras during their lunch break,” he told RTE Guide before the show hit screens earlier this month.

You have to love good 'auld Joe, suppose you can only eat "foie gras" with an authentic Dublin Accent, before getting on national radio to "exploit" almost everyone for an audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That Glow-Up rubbish. So what happened. Presumably little or no research done to see if it would be a viable project or not. Lots of our money spent on what was basically a test run, which ultimately failed. Any heads rolling for yet another massive fail? I doubt it. Seems you have to get caught red-handed trying to bang a 12yo girl in the UK to receive any sanction in the RTE party club.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The sheer feckin' cheek of Duffy spouting that shyte with him on his 450k a year for riling up callers and inciting vulnerable people into making fools out of themselves on air.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Still waiting for him to leave the country because Enda Kenny was Taoiseach...

...still waiting...

...happily pay for the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just after watching the new show Cocooned and it was all very staged - how long have RTE been planning to inflict this on us

Wasn't the kind of show I was expecting where everyone in the show was obviously paid to play their parts and be in the right position for the cameras i.e. make sure you're by the window and the curtain is pulled back while we film your absolute fear

Dunno if a show just full of "private" conversations actually makes a show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Will never be a tax as then each year their payment from the gov will be a fixed, "here you go" amount.....which doesnt fit into Dee's "spend first, account later" style of leadership. How on earth would she excuse colossal overspend and incessant loses each year if she has no "but but but De Government didnt collect all de license fees for us" to fall back on?

Ah me heart bleeds for the the poor fella, have to wipe all those salty tears away with his massive "working-class" paycheques 🙄

Whats the bets, if you trawled through his show years back during Love/Hates run, he probably gushed over it and sang its praises?

• Advertisement

Had a google, he wasn't fond of Love Hate in it's initial run.

Every Monday Afternoon didn't he used it as an item on his show.

Only took the media a full 10 days to report on this, news from Oz must come by boat!

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/cork-comedian-replace-eoghan-mcdermott-21704935

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The producers of No Time To Die won't have needed to spend any money on advertising in Ireland.

The film has been covered ad nauseam for free on multiple shows on rte for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I have never heard a film talked about as much. You'd think it was the most important film ever made in the history of cinema.

Then again, shows need cheap filler content, and talking about films and tv is easy.

Dee should have been charging the producers money for amount of airtime it got.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Eoghan McDermott made a shock departure from RTE back in March, when it was confirmed that he would not be back on 2FM's breakfast show."

But they never say why... 🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I am guessing they paid for the late late show on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Now that the house bands services have been dispensed with would those new bands that play every week on the late late be paid for the air time / exposure, or be paid themselves for their performances? Genuinely curious how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

daithi and your wan (mauraeennnn) have another whan helping them now. another white middle aged man as ....sorry....of course not. why cant they drop one of the existing presenters?

But a daily daytime TV show that only airs from October to May! Surely they are saving money on the holidays.

Also Anna Daly has joined em, after leaving Ireland AM.

Aidan Power and Laura Woods might be next to 'return' to RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It's not a shock when you know why he left. You have to ask why RTE promoted him to the breakfast show when they were told about the allegations about him. The allegations that forced his departure.

Tbf, Noel Clarke got a Bafta award, despite numerous allegations and whispers about him. Doesn't surprise me how many people get high up gigs, despite numerous creepy allegations.

I mean, many people knew about Harvey Weinstein... but they still turned a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maybe not discuss the undiscussable for fear of the thread been locked like others - only allegations, no charges pending so stay schtum for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Weinstein and Noel Clarke were very well known, and as for HW very powerful so its understandable that the powers that be would have turned a blind eye and covered up their horrific crimes.

But for RTE to claim ignorance regarding EMcD allegations is indefensible

I agree last thread was deleted a full thread deleted, not just closed!

It's interesting, too, how people who enabled Weinstein still have careers. There's an unfunny 'jack of all trades' (since he's done everything-but isn't much good at any thing he's tried) called Nick Kroll. He primarily showboats as a comedian. Anyways, his dad is a billionaire, runs a company called Kroll Inc.

Whenever Harvey Weinstein wanted to kill a story about him, or about a client/ Starlet he was promoting-he'd hire Kroll Inc (among others) to kill the story.

Nick Kroll and John Mullaney did some hosting gig, and they proceeded to do stand-up bashing Weinstein. But Kroll's daddy helped enable Ol'Harvey.

Re: Maternity of Sinead from Today, was it maternity, because Dathi and Maura were pretty much on hols for most of that time.

As bad as TV3/Virgin Media are, at least they can run their daytime chat shows all year round. RTE don't think about elderly people in nursing homes etc who rely on daytime TV when they take shows like Today off air for months

• Advertisement

This also leaves me asking what do RTÉ do with their TV studios in Dublin.

The RTÉ Quiz Show (there is only one) was filmed in Virgin Media's TV studios, according to RTÉ because all of their studios were in use.

RTÉ TV has ~4 live shows per day, one comes from Cork so only 3 are coming from the Dublin studios, News at 1, 6 and 9, and then Prime Time, Claire Byrne Live and TLLS, this leaves only one Daytime use of the studios News at 1. With news and sport at the Weekend.

I don't think their are many more studio based programmes from RTÉ.

Advertisement