Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation (Apple) [** SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

As a big fan of the books I am nervous but hopeful. Asimov was a mystery writer at heart I think and the best thing about his books to me were that it was about the characters coming up with clever solutions to problems and avoiding conflict so I'm hoping it won't be all big space battles and explosions (although the trailer implies otherwise). The Foundation series also links back to earlier series of his books, some classics (Elijah Bailey etc.) so how they link back in the tv show I don't know. Maybe they ignore it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Hyperion Cantos, the Gap Cycle and Feist's Magician. Then I'll be happy :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Don't know the other two, but if there ever was a list of books that were unfilmable I'd have Hyperion at the top of mine. It would be incredible if someone could pull it off well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

3 great series of books, only finished off the Hyperion Cantos and the Magician series in the last few years as I got back into reading while commuting

bloody hell! there are 30 books in Feists series, just as well I read them over their lifetime as opposed to trying to read them all at once

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

"Apple's Foundation Has An 8 Season Plan" - /Film

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

🤦

"Apple cancels Foundations after one season"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Apple buys space for $2.3tn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 60,498 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That first episode was stunning. Nice use of The Long Room and Powerscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement

Good first episode and I was wrong. They are starting with the first book by the looks of things. So far so good. Now to check out episode 2. Definitely including the links to the Robots and Empire series of books so there will have to be some expansion on that at some point.

Night flyers was muck. I'm really hoping this is good. Don't want both shows filmed here in Limerick to be brutal.

1: Aaaaaah that was nice. Like being wrapped in a warm blanket of fresh Science Fiction! 🙂

Liked the whole episode. Biggest woah moment for me had to be the

reveal of the death toll being a hundred million! 😲

2: Hrmmm.. I'm guessing that

neighter of the two planets made the attack on the sky bridge

killing Seldon might have been Seldons own idea and down to that need to sort out what pieces of the puzzle were in play. he hadn't seen himself.. maybe even Gaal in the picture I think

Was cool to see

the AI. Good explainer for her cold killing in the opening.

Still pretty high end budget I think. Feels like Apple have put a good bit of cash behind this.

After episode 2 I'm less confident. Still hopeful though. While I have no problem with some of gender changes to characters they have obviously changed one that I didn't even realise would be in it and in this case for me it doesn't work. In terms of the earlier book series so maybe it won't matter. Pity though. No need to gender swap everyone. Major spoilers re. the Robots and Empire book series:-

In the Caves of Steel Elijah Baley was very suspicious of Daneel in the beginning and him being a male human form robot would have played into it. That is why it doesn't work switching Daneel's gender imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭bnt

About the above spoiler comment: I’ve heard it before and I don’t get it. Tens of thousands of years have passed since those early events, just about anything is possible over such a technological timescale.

After the first episode, I’m happy enough. Since the space elevator was featured so prominently in the trailer, I could tell it would appear again. It reminded me of something from Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars trilogy.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Not sure what you've heard before. Have other people commented that they are fine with the gender/race swaps except for this one?

I’m talking about people reacting in the same way to this incarnation of Demerzel after seeing the trailers. I think it’s a non-issue given how much further in the future they are now.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

That was my favorite series of books as a teenager , a great universe.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Really liked episode 1, 2 not so much but the show has great promise, be fantastic if this turned out anywhere near expanse levels :)

How are the books for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ep 2 end

so Raych thinks Selden has to die for the predictions to work out? and Harry did too which is why he provoked him

where is Gaal going to end up?

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im on the fence as of yet. I adore the books and this will probably be a good reason to go back and read them but im not sure how the vast majority of people who haven't read the books are expected to warm to this when so far in my opinion its pretty obscure and quite high concept scifi and lacks any comprehensive world building or explanations for things that i understand having read the books but can imagine myself pretty nonplussed about if I hadn't read them.

As regards the quite significant changes im not really bothered by them yet beyond Demerzals role seemingly being reduced from first minister to that of a servant. Theres another thing i dont understand about what they have done with her but i cannot seem to get spoiler tags working on the new site

Post edited by VinLieger on

I see they used the Trinity Long Room. it looks like possibly an interesting show, what are Apple like when it comes to committing to a show or cancelling them? seems like this show could be a slow burn or take time to build up an audience.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭corkie

Is this series just an adaptation of the Foundation stories, since they have already varied from the books in a major way.

But Foundation episode 2 ends with a shocking twist, as Hari Seldon's mission to Terminus is disrupted by tragedy. The events are entirely original to the TV series, not drawn from the books at all, so understandably even viewers who are well-acquainted with Asimov's books are unlikely to have seen this coming - what's going on?

Foundation: What Exactly Is The Vault?

https://screenrant.com/foundation-show-vault-barrier-salvor-hardin-explained/

Just a note here, it has been over 30 years since I last read the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭corkie

For anyone wondering or looking for them.

The first four (of five) novelette's of 'Foundation' are available online (archive.org).

got links from here: - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_(Asimov_novel)

There are not anyway easy reading as the first dive straight into the story on 'Terminus'.

Edit: -

Foundation and Empire

Source of links: - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_and_Empire

Second Foundation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Foundation

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭steve_r

Watched the first two episodes of this last night. As someone who hasn't read the books, I do feel like I'm missing a lot of the story.

Visually it is incredible and the performances are great but there's a huge amount of gaps I have - how does the society work - does the empire rule all of the planets - has there ever been rebellions etc

I'll keep going with it but I could see it being a struggle for someone who hasn't read the books.

The Empire has a monopoly on fast interstellar travel, meaning they can respond and project force quickly, as we saw in Ep.2. They are resource-rich and can buy the loyalty of local governments and rulers: think satraps. I can imagine a local prince using the Empire as a boogeyman to keep his people in line: "behave or the Empire will come and kill you all".

The Roman Empire was an example from history that inspired the Foundation stories: how did Rome "control" such distant regions as Galicia or Palestine? With Carrot & Stick and permitting local autonomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Talisman

I haven't looked at those books since the 1980s but I'm tempted to subscribe to the service just for this. It's incredibly ambitious to aim for an 80 episode arc to cover it all.

from reading the books all I remember is the big picture stuff like Psychohistory , I doubt any series would do it justice though. Two episodes in, its ok, I want to like it, will need a few more episodes to judge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Talisman

Regarding your first spoiler, I remember in the first book it's mentioned that there's an assumption in psychohistoric analysis that the population is unaware that the psychohistoric analysis is taking place because it will cause altered behaviour and impact the analysis. Quantum theory has a similar premise, by the very act of watching, the observer affects the observed reality.

In the book, Hari Sheldon was an old man and didn't travel into exile.

Advertisement