Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I'm also on dual tariff and contacted the ESB about this during the week. The customer service rep told me that there was no plan to convert the dual meter customers at this point as their billing partners (i.e. those who you have a contract with and supply your electricity) have a problem adapting their billing systems to dual tariff with the new smart meters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Just to recap the other threads.

If you are on a day night tariff, you don't want a smart meter.

They are currently more expensive than the normal day night rates. They currently offer no benefit to the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

TBH I'm indifferent as to whether I get one or not. The query came about as a result of a letter that I (and a few others) received from ESB Networks informing us that our meters may be recording incorrectly and that ESB networks would schedule a call to replace the meter. When I contacted them to ask was it a smart meter they were putting in they said no, for the reasons above. Seems a bit mad but I'm just as happy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Are you using bottled gas as opposed to piped gas? I can imagine bottled gas would be more expensive.

Here is what I see on the Flogas webpage for natural gas: https://www.flogas.ie/residential/price-plans/ 4.458 c/kWh which is about a third of what your calculations indicate you are paying. So either we are missing something here or you are getting a really raw deal.

You also link to the Flogas UK website. You are not in the UK are you? Rates and calculation may be different there. Probably not as your bill is in euros.

Finally, I am a bit confused by your bill. The reading goes from 12812 to 12920 which is 108 yet the bill says 10.8 and calculates on the basis of 3.25 Euro per unit. Is this bottled gas measured in kilos? https://www.flogas.ie/residential/lpg/lpg-bottled-gas/bottled-gas-prices/ These numbers line up much closer to the rates on your bill.

I can only conclude that your estate uses LPG instead of natural gas. If so, yes a diverter makes sense for you as you will save multiples of someone using mains gas. In fact you probably shouldn't use bottled gas for heating water at all and instead just use your immersion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randomname2005

It is bottled gas essentially and LPG, apologies for the ambiguity, trying to retain a reasonable level of anonymity. Am in a metered estate so community tanks, no ability to switch supplier without getting our own tank installed in the garden (not a ton of room for that, or an oil tank and change the boiler and build housing unit for that). Hence they can pretty much charge what they want. In the west of Ireland, but used the UK figures for conversion of volumes to get a reasonable estimate of price per kwh. The figures quoted are with 8 digits with one decimal place, hence the 10.8 rather than 108, and the meter specifies m3 on it.

The advantage of using gas is that it can regulate the usage - when the water gets hot the gas knows to reduce the amount being used to enough to keep the water hot, the immersion doesn't. We did a comparison and the gas was cheaper than the immersion a few cost increases ago, but should probably do the same again.

If we go for solar an immersion diverter will definitely be on the cards.

Thanks again for your help.

Yes you should definitely get a diverter. If you have a well insulated tank you may also consider getting a Day/Night meter - it is free to change but not free to revert back to a 24 hour meter - and use the night rate for heating your water. A day/night meter wil also make sense once you have solar since your day use will go down. The immersion should be able to regulate usage as it should have a thermostat and automatic cutoff. You can adjust the temperature if you take the cap off. However as most immersions are mounted on top of the tank whereas the coils from the boiler are in the lower third of the tank the immersion often does not heat the entire tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I'd chime in behind what garo says above. Swapping to a day/night meter (which he mentioned is a free swap) would seem on the surface a good step forward. Even without the solar factored in. From an energy perspective, assuming your math is correct on the Kwhr for gas, it looks like your paying ~15c/Kwhr per unit of energy on gas. With night rate being in about 9-10c per Kwhr on average, with some providers having it as low as ~6c / Kwhr, you'd probably reduce your hot water heating costs by 50% - by doing that simple swap.

The added bonus, is if you move some of your loads to night time (Washing machine, dish washer), you would save more. Doing that move a few years back saved me about €20/month and just required one phonecall to my electricity provider and 20-30 mins outage one day when they swapped over (I don't think I was even here when they did as it's done externally)

Only fly in the ointment is that with the swap to new "smart meters" they may not want you to get a day/night meter now when they are replacing them all over the next 1-2 years and may ask you to install a smart meter. So I don't know if providers are still supporting the old day/night tarffits going forward. I know technically there's no reason why the smart meters can't slice it day/night, I'm just not sure if they allow people to sign up to to those tarrifs, if you follow me. I would hope that they still do as currently the "smart tarrifs" are pretty "dumb".

The tank is an all in one insulated tank. Will check out the night meter, see if ours is a day and night meter, you never know your luck.

I was just talking to an installer who said that the iBoost is no longer legal in Ireland, so please don't take my advice on this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

He had no idea why. I have seen them on sale in Irish websites. He said Eddi was the only legal one they could install.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'd be asking him where he got his information from and checking yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Better mark up on the Eddi lol?

Will check and try to find out but wanted to post that after suggesting that it could be a DIY install job.

It may well be the case of a better markup, or better markup on the Eddi and Harvey.

I had a quick look around and couldn't find anything. Not sure Google would be the best way of searching, maybe some governmental department would have a document somewhere, but will keep an eye out.

Post edited by randomname2005 on

I think it is more likely that the installer is misinformed or is trying to sell you an Eddi. The statement does not pass the common sense test.

I agree, its not like it is coming from the US where there are different frequency and voltages used. And the fact that there are so iBoost for sale in Ireland makes you wonder. Apologies for the somewhat sensationalist comment, just wanted to pass on what I know. If I am talking to other installers I will see what they are flogging and if they have the same idea of legality.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭S'

12 x 380W Q-Cells Solar PV Panels/Modules

5kW GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter

5.2kWh GivEnergy Battery Storage

EDDI Smart Immersion

PRICE €6700 EUROS INC.VAT after grant

What do you guys think. A little high?

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Yeah looks reasonable. Just make sure you look at the threads about the trouble some people are having with one of the companies that sells Givenergy stuff. Get a reference on the installer if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's too high. Do you need the bigger battery with a 4.5kwp system?

I'd urge people to keep shopping around. I've noticed quotes getting higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

Hi guys,

Reading through most of the thread, there seems to be a reasonable amount of variance in equipment, so it's hard enough to get a handle on a good price.

Do the below quotes look in the ball-park? I know the arguments against the diverter, so really just looking for any advice on equipment, longi vs bosal, etc. It's a complex enough roof, so there might not be much space for more than 12-14 panels, I think they need to be grouped as a "string" do they?

How much more expensive is 3 "strings" capable inverter versus 2?

I'm in the Limerick region, any thoughts on recommended or avoidable installers (via PM to avoid liability!!) in the region?

Also, quote 2 below was nearly a year ago, so I'm assuming the prices have gone up a bit. Quote 1 was around June.

Dunno - that looks alright to me. Certainly ballpark. Sure, you might get it for a little cheaper (maybe a couple of hundred if even), but short of doing a self-install I'd reckon it's on the money as does garo.

Batteries seem to be going up. The one he's listed above Midsummer Renewables is €3500 if you were to buy separately. Same battery was ~2800 as I recall 2 months ago. (I might be wrong)

Either that or you know some installers that are well cheap :-)

Is Quote 1 with and without battery?

I got a bigger 5.7 system albeit with a smaller 2.4 battery, and it cost 2k less.

People are being ripped off, but then told it's an ok quote.

People need to price around as many places as possible.

Now if batteries are going way up thats a different story. Then, I'd be questioning are they even worth the money..

In terms of the solar panels themselves, they are all much to a muchness. Sure, some manufacturers may give you a percentage point +/- over another, but for the most part, they all just do exactly what they day on the tin. I wouldn't be too concerned on one brand over another. The number you put up, the best advice that I or anyone will probably give you is put up as many as you can reasonably afford. Sure, you don't want to be insane about it, but if you think you need 12 and you can fit 14.....slap up the 14. You'll thank your present self in years to come.

The quotes themselves though are ok. Arguments ensue , but (ballpark) if your paying more than €1,000/1kwp then you are paying too much. yeah, you can get panels installed for cheaper, but if it's more than that....."thanks but no thanks" and move on. Your Quote1 (without the battery) is ~€890/Kwp, so yeah, your not been taken for a ride at least. I've personally seen some scandalous quotes. Free-market-economy of course, and if they want to quote that and they can get people to pay, more power to them. Sadly if it's preying on the ignorance of people, it doesn't sit well with me :-(

Are you suggesting this figure of €1,000 /1kwp before or after the grant is applied?

Fair play 6.

I think if the forum can stop the major rip offs, then we've done alright. Sure, you might save a hundred here or two hundred there by going with another installer, and it's often not a like-for-like where some installers will pass on the BER stuff to you and/or grant application for you to reclaim....while others will do that for you. But I've seen people save thousands here, myself included. Some right cowboys out there.

The battery thing is an interesting one. I've been for and then against them. With the grant I'm generally "for one" - but it's a ~9-10 year payback on the math. Depends on your individual usage profile, but if your using 15-20units a day, and can use the capacity you've filled with solar.....the larger batteries payback quicker.

Without the extra €600 or so you get from the grant, they are increasingly less desirable - unless your doing self-builds like DrPhil, and that has it's own rewards. What's harder to quality of course is the intangibles such as improving the efficiency of your system, easing the load on grid at peak times, the convenience of not having to put on the washing machine etc at 1pm when the sun is shining to maximize your solar. Those things are worth different amount to people I guess.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement