Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Good luck with the search. Surprised that a sunken boat would drift as far as what you are searching.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm not really searching that far down I just turn on the sonar whenever I hit the lake and then if any of the boats I find look interesting the Athlone Sub-Aqua club will take a look as part of a training day "they are going to dive on the one above" so it's a win win as it is also interesting for me to find new boats and try and discover a bit about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Odelay

Hi Fergal,

Have you seen these guys YouTube? Shows just how difficult it is to recover something underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAfYtXB-qN4

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It's a lot different to my story sadly and a totally different situation, they have a narrow and shallow scearch area and are lifting something that was never meant to float, where they have found one or two cars in an area where cars can enter the water I have found over 50 boats in an area that boats go. I have the same if not better sonar equipment but when in water 80 - 100 foot things look a lot different to between 5- 10 foot. Never the less I will keep on going and believe me when I do find her I will get her up come hell or high water.

On another note just incase you think I am slacking off on projects lately this is what I have been at not boat related as such but has a few boats in it 😁 https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058222781/my-acoustic-guitar-build#latest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

For the love of God, do not drop this into the lake 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah, here, Fergal.

Just like with boats, you've gotten it all arseways!

Sailboat > motor boat

Electric guitar > acoustic guitar.

You need to learn what's proper cool. 🤣

But I will concede that it's a gorgeous acoustic guitar! You really are an inspiration, Fergal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Any news Fergal?

Nothing new to report on "The curse of Lough Ree", the water was high over the winter so I have been searching in the shallow water off the navigation line in the hope she will turn up. I have also been looking at magnetometers these pick metal objects under the water and can cover a large area at a time should have no problem picking up a V8, they are very expensive to buy so if anyone knows of a place that rents them out or will do a survey for me let me know. The technology it uses is in most mobile phones these days so if any of you are tech savvy and can build me one I will try it out for you. 😀

• Advertisement

• I still think there must be a geology, archaeology or engineering department in one of the colleges who'll get on board with this search. I hesitate to suggest it but if you got in touch with a high profile (with the media) scientist like Professor Luke O'Neill (I can't think of his relevant equivalent) or could get on the Ryan Tubridy or Pat Kenny show you'd get one of those instruments somehow.

I got killed by customs bringing in a gasket kit for a toilet from the UK I can only imagine what one of these would cost 😮

No harm in a phone call. You'd only be hiring so customs might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What's going on with the canoe, has work paused?

Still tipping away at it 😀 I'll update the canoe post later today as I'm working on the yoke/seat for it at the moment. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bill Black

I was on lough Derg last weekend for the time and was thinking about your search, a thought occurred to me that I am sure you could assemble a "little fleet" of cuisers who could search in a co-ordinated line and create a broad sweep of a search area ..... I'm sure people would be happy to assist?

Regards

Bill

Most boats wouldn't carry the type of equipment I have as it's quite expensive, they might have depth sounders and GPS but not hi tech sonar, the only people that might have it are pro fishermen/ women and I have some of the Ree fishing clubs on board in the scearch 😉 I have over 10 hours of sonar recording from last week to go over it's like watching a movie of white noise waiting for a triangle or odd shaped rock to appear.

There are some benefits like a stop-off in Wineport for some lunch and refreshments 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Get onto the Discovery channel / Sky / companies that make TV shows they might be interested in doing a program about it. They might have equipment and euro's.

Episode 1 finding her

Episode 2 refloating her

Episode 3 rebuild etc etc

Maybe it already has been suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's a really good idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's pre-empting the outcome though. I fear it might be like this:

Episode 1:looking for her

Episode 2:looking for her

Episode 3:looking for her

Episode 4:looking for her

Episode 5:looking for her

Episode 6:looking for her

Episode 7: giving up 😮

not exactly a winning proposition to a TV producer.

Life ain't always empty.

There is No episode number 7 "giving up" there might be "I found her" or sadly Fergal passed away last night 😢 😀 O ye of little faith, how long have people been watching "The curse of oak island "

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I glanced at your post without checking who wrote it.... you gave me a heart attack, damn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

There was a log boat found on the Corrib after 4,500 years, so there’s always hope. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Here's a little encouragement for 2023 Fergal.

https://youtu.be/5ghmYGk4KT8

Thanks Daibheid 30 years down gives me a bit of time 😀 This is a crackerbox that was found after 10 years so there's always hope.

Sorry It has been such a slow year we both got covid and my wife has not recovered and needs full-time care now 😕 so Im not sure when I will be able to get back in the hunt hopefully next year things will get better.

Have a great Christmas all 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JamesD555

Natural light only penetrates 4 maybe 5 meters at most in the lake below that depth is pitch black!

Depth of the boat was 16.5m

The profile of the dive is here - en.divelogs.de/dive/3409351

Video of the dive is here - youtube.com/watch?v=RnkGKee9PLY

The dive touch isn't great for the camera as the beam is too focused!!

Happy New Year Fergal, hopefully, you'll be back on the water soon!

We're keeping an eye out for Old's Cool every time we're up the lake!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 luna11

Hi just wondering when you were recovered from the water what route did you take back to portlick? If you went left by mains lodge through the black islands or did you go around the blacks and turn left before nuns island and after warren point see the 2 orange lines I drew below? This would kind of give an indication as to where you might have sunk. A south wind on Lough ree is hard to get shelter from as you now know. Was there much of a gap in the big waves? There is a shallow a good bit off the end of the black islands that could have been the cause of them big waves see the purple circle below. I fished all that area and know it fairly well. how come you haven't searched the area circled in white? Did you check the weather for the day you sank was it a full south or South East or west? If you do have any boats you want dived pass them onto James in the sub aqua club and I'll dive them with him anytime 👍

Hi luna11 thanks for that, As we were new to the lake we stayed on the navigation line using the markers on the right on our way back down and then the radio tower near Coosan point as a guide we didn't want to risk cutting across so we went around Inchmore. The weather was ok except for when the hailstones started and the wind picked up it was blowing straight up the lake I was going ok till I hit the waves that seemed out of sync causing the bow to hit one hard. This video was taken about 15 minutes before she sank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUJ8Ue2xTA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 luna11

Based on you seeing the sail boat at black brink bay you were closer to the Connaught side of the lake and went down to warren point turning left after the black islands there is an island to your left at 25seconds on the video that I believe is the blacks and the island to your right is nuns island your video sweeps around to the right at the end and it looks like St Johns pt behind you with the hilly land I believe you sank along here somewhere see the purple below. I have sent your video onto a few lads that know the lake well to get their views as well. I put the video on the tv it's way easier to make out the details and stop when you want

Advertisement