Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 15:Russian Grand Prix 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

This season has really seen a revival of the sport - Not just with people jumping on the Drive to Survive hype - it has become less predictable and it is great to see!

the championship title is so close, it is just a shame it wont finish in Brazil - but maybe we will still get a repeat of 2008 with the championship being won on the last corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Please don't descend the thread in to Lewis V Max . This was great race for us there with out going in to the who is better and who is more dangerous or who is at fault. Both were good entrainment today and worth the price of the ticket.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My favourite part was when Alonso shot through corner 2 and came out in second/third I think? Obviously the had to give the places back though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A favourite trick of mine on the game,

They just didn't mention that really, I was wondering how they would work out where he should be.

Ha yeah, I didn't think he gave the places back. I think the hard tires meant stroll and co got just after that again . Apparently he tested it on the formation lap .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The best part is that he didn’t even have to give them back! He had the move into P3 before we went off and was entitled to come back on and keep the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think Alonso should have been penalised for that move myself. He deliberately left the track, he didn't make a mistake and wasn't crowded off the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just listening to a clip again on the news, "Lando, what do you think about inters?"

Its clear that they thought inters were the right choice, that they could see the rain and what everybody else was doing.

But instead of making the decision they ask the guy who is 21 years old, never won a race before but now leading into the final 4 laps with Lewis Hamilton only one second behind, who is clearly emotive on the radio calls and feeling the pressure, and who doesn't have all the information.

They were also 30+ seconds ahead of 3rd place. The decision was easy there but instead they ask Lando what he thinks about inters. That is shocking from the McClaren pitwall.

I'd like to hear all the communications between the team and Norris before judging who was to blame. We only heard snippets on the live feed and the team would have loads of information about how wet it was all around the track. As soon as Hamilton pitted they should have hedged their bets and just just pitted the lap after. Lando is a good driver on inters so he would have finished second or at least challenged Hamilton for the win.

Four points finishes for Russell in the last five races. I can't wait to see in a Mercedes next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Tried to find a video of it, but I can't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

Add to that that it's exceedingly difficult to drive in the rain, requiring supreme attentiveness to the signals given by the car.

The conditions deteriorated part of the way into Norris's second lap after Hamilton pitted. If he didn't pit the lap Hamilton pitted, there was no reason to pit the next one either. He had a huge gap to third place, and it was only because the car became undrivable that he lost out on 2nd place.

It’s hard to tell because of the helmets so it’s difficult to see facial expressions but his body language definitely changed and he appeared to do a double take when he noticed it was a RB without the illuminous strip on the antenna pulling up beside him

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was totally Lewis's fault at Monza. At the time I thought racing incident but having seen the slow mo on Channel 4s qualifying program yesterday which was very good by the way it was totally Lewis's fault and he should have been the one to get the penaultys not Max. Lewis did not leave enough room for Max. He forced him onto the green and then into the Kerp because Max had no where else to go. Your supposed to leave a car space beside you and Lewis did not do that there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

^^^ this is the Russian GP , there is no need to bring the previous race into .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Alonso pitting a lap earlier and he comes home second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Loved Max on the radio saying his tired are dead and then knocking in fastest laps!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

It's great to have these races where there isn't just a battle up front - seems like it's been a long time since we had decent midfield battles - today was a good show of this. Aside from Verstappens surprise race and Lewis's 100 wins,

Russell scored another point for Williams.

Alonso had a great race too.

Bottas seemed lost in P14 and managed to finish 5th.

Sainz finishing third.

Noteworthy to me lately is Perez, granted he suffered an awful pitstop but he's not seemed up to the mark at all (started the season well) but fails to pull it out the bag in qualifying and all too often finishes midfield. 5th in the championship when your team mate is contending for the title in the same car - hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've been saying he's an average driver for a while. He seemed to be performing a bit above that level early in the season but he's regressed to his mean since then. Nice guy, likeable, very gentle on tyres most times, very poor in qualifying almost all the time, has an odd good performances here and there, bang average overall. I'll bet he's delighted he signed a contract for next year when he did. He's been poor since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

I know it would suck for Lando if he was penalised on top of everything else, but he really should have been. It’s a very clear black and white rule, one of the most straightforward in the rule book. The fact that he only broke it by accident doesn’t come into it. Aston Martin didn’t intentionally fail to provide enough fuel at the end of Hungary and they were disqualified, there is simply no consistency.

These sort of grey areas where the stewards are free to make it up as they go along and choose whether or not they want to penalise a clear infraction just further damage trust and leaves you with that niggling feeling that they keep leaving the door open for further controversies and further manipulation of results in the stewards room.

We often give out about rules in F1 being enforced strictly in black and white but this was one where I think the got it right! Had another car been coming around turn 17 then yeah a pen is fair but he impacted nobody and the slide was completely out of his control. His speed was even half the speed limit at the pit enternce… fair cop I’d say!

Tsunoda got a time penalty and penalty points for this earlier this season:

The rules need to be applied consistently or it just makes a mockery of the sport. If the rule is now "actually crossing the white line is ok as long as it wasn't intentional" then make that clear for everyone going forward and don't penalise anyone else for what Tsunoda did in future.

In Tsunodas case it was dry and he just drove over it! Today for Norris it was a deluge

I agree that rules need to be applied consistently but there has to be a point where a reaction to human response comes into it! Maybe we need to agree to disagree on it and that’s cool, but for me I think they got it right… the circumstance was so extenuating and Norris could demonstrate he done more than normal to avoid it and at the end of the day, no harm was caused to any other drivers time or race!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Schumacher, Senna, Prost....

This is not a new phenomenon.

Imagine if in football the ref decided not to give a corner after a defender knocked the ball over the line because it was wet and he slipped.

Either the rules apply or they don’t. In a racing incident where two cars collide there are myriad things to consider and there is room for subjectivity. But crossing a white line is crossing a white line. Either it’s allowed or it isn’t.

I fail to see how Norris sliding all the way over it is in any way less severe than Tsunoda slightly misplacing his car by about half a metre. No harm was caused to other drivers in either case.

I just don’t like the way the FIA are so inconsistent so often and Stewards are left to completely arbitrarily decide whether punish an incident or not on a whim, because it opens the door for them to make very dubious decisions when the rules are left so vague and open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah, it would have been worse to stay on slicks in the wet weather for another lap. I'm fine with applying a bit of cop on too. Rules for rules sake would have penalised Lando and I think that would have been silly. He crossed the line because he was on the wrong tyre for the conditions. He was coming into the pits to get on the correct (and safe) tyre. I'm fine with the decision.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

100% should have been a penalty for Norris, wet weather or not he broke the rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You could make the point that numerous other cars entered the pit lane without incident while conditions were wet albeit not as bad as when Norris attempted to do so. Still, a top F1 driver ought to accomplish such a manoeuvre irrespective of tyres or weather conditions. He was going too fast entering the pit road. That's all. The stewards decision is a joke. You cannot apply the rules selectively just to suit particular circumstances. He crossed the white line (twice) and should have been punished.

Advertisement