Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,868 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What? seriously - you dont believe trans people can be lesbian, gay or bi? and you are quoting Graham Linehan who has gone so unhinged on trans issues that he had to be cautioned by the police, regularly harasses trans people online and his marriage broke up over it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No. I wont. The LGB alliance has many links to extreme far right movements and its sole raison detre is about hate of trans people. Its not your role to tell me what I can and cant post. Leave that to the moderators.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭archfi

No, LGB Alliance doesn't. You know this.

No matter how many times you spout this it does not make it true.

I didn't actually think or demand you would stop posting about regurgitated and made up nonsense rather I vaguely hoped you'd cop on. However, I understand extreme activists rarely do.

There is no place for untruths and propaganda rubbish in the conversation that will be had.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I'm not being untruthful in any way here whatsoever but thanks anyway - you need to tell your GC mates to drop all the propaganda then. 😂

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The LGB alliance has many links to extreme far right movements

If this is anything other than a transparent attempt to turn LGBA into a bogeyman by association with scary words, then I'm sure evidence of links to "extreme far right movements" will be forthcoming.

Unfortunately, the reliable regularity with which "links to extreme far-right movements" ends up merely being an extreme far-left person's take on anything that's remotely centrist or right-leaning makes it impossible to take on face value.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭archfi

No, I don't deny anyones 'existence'.

That talk is a purely extreme ideological emoting point.

Where did I indulge in petty name calling in regards to you in particular?

If you see yourself reflected in my opinion of what kind of person goes headfirst along with awful, divisive, untrue soundbites well that's not on me.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I didn't say you called me anything, just that it's very telling that you resort to it.

I haven't called anyone a fascist.

I think you're confused.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So, Transsexual has now been redefined to be Transgender, as I have now learned.

Transgender is an 'umbrella' term, according to American web sites that define the definitions. So yeah, if one says they are non-binary they can say they are transgender, ditto with transsexuals, which are 2 completely different things.

Now things that didn't make any sense to me for so so long now make perfect scene.

Panti Bilss has 'transgender' people on phone. No he doesn't, he has transsexual people on his phone. Because he knows them from the gay scene because transsexuals have always lived on the gay scene, because transsexuals are homosexuals, not heterosexuals.

Transgender people are being murdered, esp in south America. No they aren't. Transsexual's are being murdered, because they often work in the sex industry. Not that that's an excuse to murder anyone.

Transgender people live in gay society, lgbt society. No they don't. Transsexuals live in gay society, and always have. That explains why I argued earlier that I never had any experience of transgender people on the gay scene and some disagreed. They meant transsexuals , not transgender people. Why would heterosexual transgender people loiter around on the gay scene, makes no sense whatsoever. They never did, it's transsexuals who do.

I often asked why there are virtually no transgender people on these thread's. But it was clear to me there are a lot of gay people endorsing 'trans' rights here. So so curious, but now I totally get it. Drag queens, transvestites, transsexuals, cross dressers, - all homosexual men, huh.

"People should be able to be who they want be". Right, now I get it. I knew they really meant that, but was always a bit of a head scratcher for me. Why don't they say people should be who they are, which they never say. So, if someone wants to live a psycho-sexual dual personality fantasy life in broad daylight, they should be able to do so, according to Stonewall. If a Drag Queen wishes to walk down the street, visit the supermarket, in drag, they should be accepted in society to do so. That's what all this is really about, isn't it.

So Stonewall think these transSEXual people are marginalized, mocked in movies, living in the shadows due to such widespread prejudice, are trying to change attitudes about these kinds of people. They can't be serious, but I'm now certain they are.

This whole subject has now taken a very serious turn for me as a result of the last few exchanges I have had here. It opens up a whole can of worms. How would you know the difference between a cross-dresser and a truly transgender person using female toilets? Stonewalls answer to that is 'people should be able to be who they want to be'.

Are we going to promote in schools the idea that 'people should be able to be who they want to be', even when 'who you want to be' is just a psyhco-sexual fantasy, such as Desmond the young drag queen 'performer'.

So, own up guys. Who here is a drag queen, a cross-dresser, a transsexual? I've always been honest about who I am and it's apparent to me now other posters aren't so revealing. You don't have to say of course but there's a point in asking that.

Oh and one more thing, LL mailed me 'transgender' slur terms. "Tra**y" is not a transgender slur term - it's a transsexual term. It's a sexual slur term that has noting to do with transgender. Neither is 'She-Male" which is also a transseuxal slur term. They aren't even slur terms anyway - they use those terms to describe themselves.

If any of the above is confusing to the uniformed, I'll just say I've said nothing disparaging about transgender people here, in fact I'm said nothing about truly transgender people at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Transexual hasn't been redefined. It has always meant the same as transgender but is considered outdated and a bit offensive.

Just like some people don't like being called homosexual because of the clinical implications.

This bizarre idea you have that transexual only applied to homosexual trans people on the gay scene is extremely strange.

Even anti-trans posters don't use the term that way. I'm afraid you're on your own here Allforit.

I've always understood transsexual to mean the same as it's always meant (desire to change sex). Some people prefer this term, but most people talk about transgender these days. Or the desire to transition.

I've never understood transsexual to refer to a person's sexuality or be impacted by it. I know trans people who happily call themselves transsexual and some who don't.

I know some trans people that prefer women, some that prefer men, some that prefer both, one who is asexual and a few that have changed their preference as they have continued their transitions. It's almost like everyone is different, all of them valid.

About saying nothing disparaging. I don't think you have deliberately said anything, although your terminology and understanding seems to differ from common understanding (I'm talking dictionary definitions here, historical and in the present day).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'truly' transgender tho. If you are serious about not being disparaging, then maybe you should elaborate on that.

Your comment about trans slurs is nonsense. If people don't fit into neat little labels, bullies certainly don't. You think if someone is identify as trans, a bully is going to match the "correct" slur to the correct identity or what that person identifies.. come on now think about that logically for a minute..

Looks like the Scottish Secondary Teachers' Association (SSTA) might push back against the Scottish government on this. They have tabled an emergency motion for debate.

“In view of the recently published document ‘Supporting Transgender Pupils in Schools - Guidance for Scottish Schools’ (August 2021), this Congress is greatly concerned over safeguarding and other issues, including: the potential excluding of parents/carers from the process of children under 16 transitioning to another gender; implying that teachers may not pass on information that may be revealed to them by a child without the child’s consent; the potential for professional harm to staff involved in withholding information from parents/carers, including future legal action; that the identified ‘best practice’ has not been rigorously examined for its legal implications nor risk assessed for potential harm it may cause others in the school community, including those with protected characteristics.”

"Congress believes it is unacceptable for the government to seek to make such consequential changes without legal underpinning. Congress therefore calls on the guidance to be withdrawn until appropriate legislation has been enacted which can then inform the guidance to be disseminated to schools."

They seem to have come to the realisation that this guidance could get teachers into legal trouble and cause significant harm to children and families.

And they're probably right. There is some record of the UK Supreme Court's view on this sort of thing from 2015, when Scotland were pursuing their initially draconian "Named Person" policy:

“The first thing that a totalitarian regime tries to do is to get to the children, to distance them from the subversive, varied influences of their families, and indoctrinate them in their rulers’ view of the world.”

A totalitarian regime..it's Scotland lol have you ever been there.. 😆

Seems most of the concern is legal tho Vs harm. Nice to try and shoehorn that in. More nonsense.

Used to live there, yeah.

The rest of your post is just defensive twaddle. Sorry the UK Supreme Court's opinion offends you, I suppose.

Isn't the public conversation fun? Sunlight is a wonderful thing. So healthy.

Defensive against what exactly? Based on your own quotes the concern seems legal Vs harm. That was added as opinion.

Same as you trying to shoehorn in some narrative about me being offended..!

Share the full source with the class, as it were, and have a proper look?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Milky I don’t think it’s your intent to mislead anyone, but it’s undeniably an attempt by a few individuals within the SSTA to mislead people by claiming to be concerned about the prospect of future legal action and claiming the guidelines haven’t been rigorously examined for their legal implications and that there is no legal underpinnings to the guidelines, when the whole purpose of the guidelines is to protect teachers from any future legal action by ensuring they are aware of their legal responsibilities precisely because of the existence of human rights legislation and the equality act and children’s rights legislation in Scotland! It’s all there in the guidelines!

The decision of the Supreme Court you’re referring to btw was about the introduction of named persons legislation, and the legal challenge to it failed, precisely for the same reason a legal challenge on the basis of what is contained within the proposed guidelines would fail, because the whole point of the guidelines is to protect teachers from any future legal action by a failure to adhere to legislation which already exists which recognises and protects children’s rights.

The decision of the Supreme Court you’re referring to btw was about the introduction of named persons legislation

Literally said this in my post.

I see, you were attempting to be misleading then, same as you’re doing now by selectively quoting what I said out of context as if that was the point I was making. Why didn’t you quote the whole sentence which was pointing out that the legal challenge you were referring to, failed?

The point you were making is that the SSTA might push back against the Scottish Government on the guidelines, and then you went on to suggest that they were probably right about their concerns, and you referred to a previous legal challenge without any mention of the outcome as though the SSTA would have a legitimate case were they to challenge the guidelines.

They wouldn’t, and they know it, and the “debate” is just optics, for show, by a small group of individuals within the SSTA by way of virtue signalling how “concerned” they are for teachers, parents and children by purposely misrepresenting what the guidelines are intended for.

• Advertisement

Engaging with your points would mean engaging with you, which is not something I have any desire to do on this issue, OEJ.

Peace.

Ahh peace my arse! I haven’t bothered with this discussion in a while because it’s obvious there are posters who aren’t interested in participating in an honest conversation.

Your post caught my attention because I thought you were being misled, and I was pointing out that whoever within the SSTA is making those claims are the individuals who are being dishonest, and the legal challenge which you were referring to (I figured you were recalling from memory), the outcome of that challenge was that it failed.

Engaging with the point which YOU brought up, would mean having to engage in an honest conversation, and I can completely understand now why you’d be reluctant to do so. It’s nothing to do with me personally.

There's nothing I can really do to change your opinion of my reasons for doing or not doing things, OEJ.

You get to decide what my identity is to you and act accordingly.

Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"The first thing that a totalitarian regime tries to do is to get to the children, to distance them from the subversive, varied influences of their families, and indoctrinate them in their rulers’ view of the world.

Isn't that the whole point of a State education anyway?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

What? Where have I ever said I get to decide what your identity is? What’s that even got to do with the point we were discussing? You decide whatever your identity is and yes, I will act accordingly as to whether I believe you’re being honest or something else entirely. I prefer to give anyone the benefit of the doubt in any case, until it becomes clear I was wrong in doing so.

You’ve already done plenty to change my opinion of your reasons for doing or not doing things - like I said I thought you were being honest, and you were being misled by the SSTA. As it turns out I was wrong.

I'll park that one there as it's going off-topic, but I will say I'm happy to 'be on my own' on this one.

sure, whatever suits! but the point about bullying is on topic

Oh no, I'd love to continue that discussion, I just think it's off-topic to continue to discuss the difference between transsexual and transgender. I will bring that subject up in a thread of my own, though I'm not confident it would be entertained in the LGBT forum.

We can do the bullying thing though. So where were we? I said there is no such thing as transgender bullying. I said there are no transgender slur terms, and that the suggested transgender slur terms are not transgender slur terms, but something else. I hold I'm completely right about that, and you nor anyone else have made any argument's that contradict what I'm saying.

And to refresh your memory on what I said previously, I'm saying that the Scottish guidance is not about anti-bullying anyway, it's a tentative introduction of gender identity 'education', in the guise of assisting teaching staff how to deal with kids who identify as such, if they ever do at all in school.

Lol, some craic that's for sure!

Fair enough, I'll leave the bullying subject too as I can see that it hinges on your somewhat differing definition of transgender Vs transsexual etc.

For the record, I don't think you need a defined word list to be bullied.

It's been good tho to understand where you come from tho, thanks for your time explaining. Genuinely.

• Advertisement

That's your response? Stating the LGB Alliance has links to far right groups is one heck of a claim. Surely you can offer supporting evidence? Why on earth would the LGB Alliance have links to, of all people, far right groups?!

Advertisement