Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female James Bond on the horizon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I thought there was a scene where he is given the name and number but as I say maybe I dreamed it.

Ive seen every james bond movie multiple times and read most of the books, I don't remember that scene ever occurring.

Also, when you said "I must have made it up" I thought you were being sarcastic.

No I just remember something that never happened. In fairness I zone out of Craig Bond movies quite easy.

My favourite thing would be for Bond to disappear for a while and come back someday as a real movie with no corporate crap but not gonna happen so as for who should play him I don't have a clue. Elba probably missed his chance, O'Connell would be too much like Craig and Hiddleston takes the posh thing to parody levels. Can't really think of a single British actor of any gender or colour who stands out

In the current politically correct climate, the only way we are getting a Connery style-Bond that whores and sleazes his away all over asia is for a woman to be cast as Bond. It would be awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

The word "woke" appears nine times in this thread (ten now, you're welcome).

• Advertisement

Idris Elba would make a great Bond. He has this charisma and swagger about him in some work and also displays an "edge".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Just a shame Bond is a white straight male.

He's great in Luther though, utterly compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

A straight white male who is about 90 years old. Funny that that part does not seem to bother you.

I think Bond has ran its course, maybe time to retire it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I don’t like these ideas of swapping out male characters for female characters. What is wrong with female characters having their own stories etc. Bond has been played a certain way until now a female would take it in a complete different direction and just wouldn’t be Bond. It’s so lazy and definitely seems like a lack of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

what age is Homer Simpson now...

When I was seventeen,
    I drank some very good beer,
    I drank some very good beer
    I purchased with a fake ID.
    My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listenin' to Queen
    When I was seventeen.

Yep. All the who's the next Bond stuff is just marketing to paper over a tired series

That's harsh on Craig, I mean, I know he's getting on but...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All the Bonds were never big names, that's why it works. It never works when you pick a big star to play Bond, makes no sense, as you know him from else where.

Next Bond should be a great unknown, that way he makes it his own, like the great Bonds did.

There are comments on social media complaining about the diversity of the current BBC series Vigil.

Now that's racist arsehole carry-on. Britain is an extremely diverse society with a massive population - of course there will be minorities in the navy. The overwhelming majority of the cast are white anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd understand the outrage more if they made Bond American or something. Bond's skin colour is of little importance, his background/culture, style and charisma are the key qualities in the character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

None of this matters when the films are pure muck. Like, the motivation for the villain in the last film was that his dad adopted Bond and then spent a lot of time with him so he became jealous and set up an international criminal organisation. Even Goldmember wasn't that daft.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Ah now, that's as good a reason as any to start an international terrorism organisation. I'd be raging too.

Is there outrage here over the prospect of a black 007 though? If true to the book, it wouldn't fit but it's off book a long time. M was played by Judi Dench (awesomely) for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭sekiro

Personally, I found this comment very interesting.

Does anyone think that there might be an element of something akin to vandalism going on here?

So, who really likes James Bond movies? Older, white, straight, guys who want to see lovely girls and cars and watches and explosions and gadgets. What could be worse, right? What an opportunity to wind those people up by taking something they like and turning it onto something they don't like.

Surely the movie industry would not operate like that but sometimes I do wonder. James Bond does seem to be the kind of thing that appeals to a very specific demographic and there does seem to be a kind of glee at the prospect of "taking their toys away" so I could really see it. Comments like the above at least confirm there is some eagerness to see this play out. Like we wouldn't necessarily want to go and watch a female Bond ourselves but, by God, wouldn't it be fun to see all the old Bond fans lose their minds?

Reflecting on it though that's kind of horrible. Oh, that thing you like? Hahahaha! Not any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

old straight white guys are so persecuted these days you have to feel for them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A spy should realistically be the most ordinary, boring, average, uninteresting looking person out there. The type of fellow you'd not look at twice and two seconds later not remembering what they look like.

You are making a massive and incorrect assumption as to who watches Bond these days.

I don't get your point. I wasn't saying that anyone or any group is or is not persecuted.

Yes, I would feel for people who really love James Bond movies if there is an active effort to ruin them for that audience. I don't care that much about it though outside of thinking that this "it's time to let someone else have a shot of the popular brand name" is an interesting aspect of modern entertainment.

Not sure what I am supposed to take from your response. I speculated that some people would be open to the idea of taking something that is liked by a specific demographic and ruining it because it's a bit of a laugh. You are pretty much confirming that but instead of just saying you agree you are trying to make it sound like I am moaning about the plight of old straight white guys. That's way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah man, not as if Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnon both won sexiest man alive awards over the years, Daniel Craig is hardly a boring looking man. But sure yeah, them being white makes them look ordinary and average.

They definitely hired all those actors over the years because they looked plain and ordinary.

I was playing off the comment from @Thelonious Monk more than anything, to be honest.

"Brilliant, it'll wind up the old men on this site to no end. Rabble Rabble rabble."

I didn't look into what kind of people actually like Bond movies or anything like that outside of assuming who they are targeted at and kind of agreeing with the other poster that "old men" is the target audience.

Either way, I think there seems to be a strong desire to change entertainment brands/franchises in a way that annoys the long-term fans and a pretty enthusiastic bunch of people who enjoy seeing that happen. I don't really know why.

I don't know how they can reinvent the brand when it carries so much baggage and I'm pretty sure that "it'll wind up all the right people" is not really a great starting point.

What the hell do I know, though? I have no idea how the marketing plans for these movies are drawn up and what kind of revenue makes a thing a success or failure. It does feel like a Lady Bond isn't necessarily going to have a brand new audience rushing out to the cinema. Maybe it would though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Did I say any of these lads were ordinary looking?

Advertisement