Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female James Bond on the horizon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,962 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Post edited by Tony EH on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I came to the female Ghostbusters with an open mind but by god it was an endurance test to make it to the end without switching off. Even the fecking cartoon was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭sekiro

Always wonder why they do this.

Does the market research suggest that this is a potential money maker? Or is it more to do with politics and social issues? Maybe a bit of both?

Before 1962 there were no James Bond movies. So why wouldn't someone who wants to make a movie about spies and action and gadgets etc now just start from scratch?

A lot of movie decisions these days are more about branding it seems but does that mean a lot of the movie going audience isn't interested in the content of movies as much as they are interested in the brand?

I felt the new Star Wars movies were kind of like really poor fan-fiction. It was as if after decades of just slapping the "Star Wars" labelling onto everything from pencil cases to refrigerators they just decided to go wild and slap the "Star Wars" label on rubbish movie ideas. Like JJ Abrams decided to make a homage to the original Star Wars and Disney said "why not just go all the way and put a Star Wars label on it, nobody cares."

They can do what they like with James Bond. It does seem a bit strange though. Why not just stop making them if they are a bit outdated now? Nothing wrong with that. Or are they thinking "The James Bond branding is valuable but everything about the movies needs to go" and that's still going to make money for a while as people follow the branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Brilliant, it'll wind up the old men on this site to no end. Rabble Rabble rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Would it be ok to have a white, gender fluid actor play Steve Biko in an updated Cry Freedom ?

James Bond is a white, middle class, straight Englishman...that’s as he was written and created.... that’s been the character for 68 years since Ian Fleming created James Bond....

are we at the pathetic stage now where we are rewriting everything just to appease the woke muppfücks ?

007 isn’t the star the central character, James Bond the person is... who is a guy...

if 007 had been different people from book to book and film to film, ok.. but no.

If somebody wants to write 1007 whatever character and run with that, fine...part of the franchise..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Haha Batthem

Yep Bond is just a movie length advert now with more talk in the build up about his new watch/car/phone than plot. Funny enough I got far more angry about the idea of Bond now being a Heineken not a martini drinker than I do him now being a her. Seriously I find the martini far more integral to 007 than his d1k.

The trend that killed Bond wasn't the "woke" one it was copying the superhero trend of everyone having to have some deep emotional backstory (FK mammy issue Bond) and having to line up the "canon" by explaining that Bond is a codename. Did anyone ever really care how Bond kept changing face and age and need an explanation to enjoy it.

Make her a black female who identifies as a dolphin for all I care nothing will be worse than Craig Bond.

The strength or lack thereof of the movies won't matter though cause this tread is clearly designed for a space for people to shout "arrrrg bloody WOMEN" and will run to about 100 pages of said arrrrg

Casting Sarah Jessica Parker as Jane Bond would be a good way to find out if it's actually possible to make the internet explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

No more Pussy Galore then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Actually that could work in a way if a Biko type character (not actually Biko because he was a real person Bond is not) was a LGBT activist in an African country where it's banned.

Biko himself was real not written.

Btw Bond is not English anymore they already made him Scottish in the last movie also an upper class lord not middle class but I suppose that's ok

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Atomic Blonde - Salt - Red Sparrow - Hanna - Nikita - Ghost in the Shell

So it's not like they don't make these films. The question is why they don't make more.

The Bond character is a playboy who can mix easily with the rich and powerful who are still mostly male, mostly of European extraction https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/ It's the old boys club. Yes there are Chinese and Japanese and Indian billionaires but it's hard to imagine a female spy/assassin/saboteur having the same reception (not to mention the reception in those countries that are huge markets for the franchise.) Which may also rule out Idris.

007 is a business. Free publicity followed by playing it safe. Everyone wins.

Barb Wire - a remake of Casablanca by someone who's watched Johnny Mnemonic is so bad I can't even hold it up as a counter example.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Yes indeed. The character has been played by men in the 60s all the way to the 2020s. Is this a 90-year old spy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Should be fun a "Me Too" Bond, who doesn't drink, doesn't fornicate, has all gay friends, renounces violence, and gets paid less than James?

Sounds like a riveting movie already... much like the female "ghostbusters" success ...:)

Was that dire because they were women instead of men? Or dire because it was just a dire movie? That seems like an important distinction. Cats was directed by a man. By your argument, I guess that's evidence that men shouldn't be directing movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The Bond Guys names could be fun:

Hugh G. Dicks

Dick Bigger

And so on and so forth...

Plenty O'Toole

Hank Goodlick

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Completely different things in fairness and not to go full on Nerd, very much handled by BSG and the time is cyclical trope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

She marries the bad guy, then divorce rapes him in the end. Dr Evil must now vacate his cave base and live out of his office illegally.

In the interest of balance I want to see a male Ally McBeal series. Alfred McBeal struggles with adapting to his new cosmopolitan life in the big city, with a ticking biological clock Alfred must negotiate his way through the dating scene and all the associated heartache, but at least his friends are there to console him and to keep him up to date on the latest shoes over brunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Mrs Bond - "Do you expect me to talk???"

Goldfinger - "Yeah I expect you'll be doing a good bit of it alright"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Male Ally McBeal already exists he's called Dennie Crane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Danielle Craig playing Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I for one am looking forward to the Sex and the City reboot where Seth Rogan takes on the iconic role of sassy, independent dating columnist Carrie Bradshaw.

Bond is a dude, end of.

You must get worn out getting so offended that easily. I said Ghostbusters was a **** movie. And somehow I hate all movies directed by women now.

Cop yourself on will ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

We had that with the recent Batgirl series. It was so bad even the star ran away from it.

But if we are making all characters gender fluid I for one think Zac Effron would make an excellent Wonder Woman and Denzel Washinton could bring a whole new dimension to the role of Ripley in an Alien reboot. And Tom Holland as Buffy the Vampire Slayer would be an outstanding piece of casting.

• Advertisement

Bat girl has been around since 1961 but shure Fk facts

Advertisement