Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female James Bond on the horizon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In fairness that show was as as close to Sherlock Holmes as Free Willy was to Jaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,074 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You could say the same about Bond after all these years

But Bond now is a Bourne knockoff designed to sell products, and Moore Bond was a Carry On romp. Neither are the same as Connery Bond. Every Bond is practically a reboot which is why Craig doesn't have a cloaking car

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

• Advertisement

It's changed by virtue of the fact that it's 60 years on the trot. But a James Bond movie is still basically the same old superspy nonsense as it was in 1962.

On the other hand, that Elementary TV show with Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Lu could have been called anything at all and absolutely nothing would have been any different. It simply did not represent anything to so with Sherlock Holmes in any way. The same can be said for the one with Cumberbatch.

So it's not really a good comparison.

Or maybe America are the enemy and the next Bond will be about 007 trying to hide Prince Andrew from the CIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Look what they did with Doctor Who.

Murdered it.

Oh ok fair enough. My knowledge of these various new Holmes would be limited

They're ok. The Mrs liked them for a while. But I couldn't really get on with them. Plus the whole nucleus behind them always came off as a bit unnecessarily name rapey to me. They really had nothing whatsoever to do with Conan Doyle's creation so using the names that author created was just cheap marketing more than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The Mentalist was better and it was able to be its own thing instead of being stuck with a "Moriarty" etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Won't work for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, virtue signalling to appease the hoards of woke that have infiltrated almost every part of society. I love James Bond movies since I was a lad but I won't be watching this tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Doctor Who tanked massively while Capaldi was the lead, and it was hugely down to the piss poor writing. Hell, some would say it tanked a lot during Matt Smith's run towards the end.

Losing Moffat was the real turning point. Bringing in a woman doctor had an awful smell of adding Poochie to an already flagging show.

Also changing Doctor seemed to go from being a necessity as actors left or the show rebooted to being something done every few years just for the headlines.

Same with Star Trek Discovery which gets the same accusations but the truth is its just a crap show.

For me personally it will be the same when people come and say "women ruined Bond" when for me it has been crap since Tomorrow Never Dies

Eh, can't say I agree. Moffat was massively distracted by his other projects and it showed, a lot of fans at the time were actively getting a bit tired of him. He has a really bad habit of making overly complicated story-lines and stupid twists for the sake of making twists.

Not sure I buy the part about changing the Doctor, Capaldi was in the role for 4 years, same as Jon Pertwee and Peter Davidson. Most actors who take the role do it for between 2 and 4 years before they move on, but that's very much part of the role.

Discovery is a good show, so long as you pretend it isn't Star Trek. If you want to watch a new Star Trek show you'd have to watch the Orville, which is considerably closer to Star Trek than Discovery is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Doctor Who was bad for a whole lot of reasons and all of them made Whittikars doctor the worst and not her. The writing, the preaching in a lot of the episodes, and the doctors origins

In saying all that I don't think James Bond will change to a woman if anything I say they are looking to do the same with what they were doing with Halle Berrys character and maybe creating a spin off for a new series. But of course it will not get the time to see if it is any good as you will have loads of criticisms of it is not original (what is in Cinema these days) and they are looking to end James Bond

Orville is an homage to Trek without offering very much in terms of anything new. I really like Picard and Lower Decks so have plenty of different forms of Trek to enjoy. Discovery on the other hand is a load of nonsense. I have tried my best to get into it but it's just more flashy lensflare nonsense with weak plots and even by Trek standards it has a very loose grasp on science (Charlie's great glass elevator turbolift)

We're totally off-topic now, but I'll say I wasn't actually a big fan of Picard. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to re-watch it.

I wouldn't worry I mean if the OP wanted this to be on topic they would have put it in entertainment not AH.

Stewart carried Picard and without him it would mostly be a poor Mass Effect copy but I enjoyed it and thought it had more good than bad overall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the bbc has a problem with women vs men on tv shows, i think its ridiculous when theres 5 men on a comedy panel show,there should be at least 1 or 2 female comedians on a comedy panel show. they have sometimes gone too far, eg put a woman on a show that did not suit her.there seems to be evidence that men on tv shows get paid more than women even if they are doing the same job.when any tv show or film is a hit there will be sequels and prequels as long as theres money to be made .i think there,ll be 2 or 3 new ms marvel films as long as it makes money.I think any show can fail ,whether the cast is female or male

if it has a bad script and a bad director .i think we,ll get loads of marvel superhero tv series and star wars tv shows as disney needs new content to get subscribers to its service .Its a pity that warners cant seem to find good scriptwriters as it owns dc and it has a lot of female and male characters that could be made into tv program,s ..dc suoperhero films seem to be pale imitations of marvel films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Heading into the same territory as that Batwoman TV show.

Except in the comic Batwoman is into woman so in that sense it was comic accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

so, just write new source material, and the character can be whatever you want....

someone get on to Ian Fleming, quick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Bond producer Barbara Broccoli is quashing the idea of a female Bond, as long as she’s involved, saying “Bond is male” flat out.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

The rumours have been around for years

But have been amplified by rumours that No Time to Die will feature a female 007 but not a female Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99

Don't like the female doctor, and I don't think it's because the doctor is female, I just think the acting is quite thin, and not helped by that voice, not much in the way of natural authority or gravitas.

A hard ass female agent has been shown to work really well, Atomic Blonde with Charlie Therzon was a good bourne-esk type movie. But, whereas there is some justification in the realm of Dr who for having a female doctor, i.e. there is a entire regeneration going on, so why shouldn't a generation end up female, there is no scenario than allows Ian fleming's character to be female.

Not thinking of the female character in particular, but I was just chatting the other night and saying that Bond and Dr Who are the only two long running franchises i know of that have a completely natural acceptance that the actor playing the lead role will change.

Off-topic but I think the notion of regeneration of Dr Who is one of the best story device in the history of TV/film making. It was a masterstroke, enabling the franchise to go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Capaldi was great I thought.

Smith was crap, but the scripts did not help.

In relation to the last paragraph we know the name James Bond and the 007 are given to an agent and while we got close with Daniel Craig I would like the passing of the name and 00 to someone at a start of a film due to the old one dieing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I liked Capaldi. IMHO he's the only one of the new lot who would have worked as the character back in the 60's and 70's. He was old style Doctor Who. However I think that was part of the problem and this ties in with Bond or any long term franchise.

In general an audience is made up of general viewers, general fans and nerdfans. The reboot of Who worked because it rejigged the franchise and aimed it at general viewers, while keeping some fan service in play. Only some mind you as the first outing of the new Who had quite a few nerdfans unhappy with the direction. EG Billie Piper's character was very popular with general viewers, but the nerdfans hated her for the most part. Also popular with general viewers was the hint of more than just friendship between the younger than in the past Doc and [insert female companion here], again not generally liked at all by the nerdfans. Capaldi going old skool lost much of this general audience. Jodie Whittaker initially got viewers because of the novelty and nerdfans generally liked it, but it very quickly lost the general viewers. It wasn't helped by dire preachy scripts and while Whittaker is a bloody fine actor, she wasn't a good fit for the role. Bugger all male actors would be either. The showrunner has chops as a writer of right on kitchen sink drama, but not for Who.

When the Star Wars franchise kicked off again they went for safe and all three demographics by going full copypaste of the original first flic and added a Disney princess. The second outing tried to go rogue, which is admirable, but buggered that by scarily bad writing, which is not. Having realised they may have screwed the pooch the last outing tried to reverse all that and ended up worse again.

With James Bond the general viewers and most fans and nerdfans want a good looking British bloke in his 30's/40's with attendant good looking Bond Girls, exotic locations, luxury living, gadgets, car chases and explosions, tweaked for current audiences. They might stretch to a Black actor in the role, but a woman just won't cut it and the studio money well knows it. Never going to happen.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

^

I can't speak about Dr.Who because that begins and ends for me with Tom Baker. But I don't know why some people are bringing it up as an example here. The central conceit of the Doctor is that a Timelord can die but his body gets replaced so he can carry on his work, whatever the hell that is.* That also means that his actual character changes too to explain the different acting methods of each performer. Peter Davidson was no Tom Baker, etc, so there's no point pretending. It was quite a smart little cheapo BBC Sci-fi workaround that didn't require too much navel gazing.

Bond, however, is supposed to be the same guy, despite the fact the series is effectively rebooted with each actor that takes up the role. So, him all of sudden, being either black, gay, or female (for whatever silly reason) is just going to rub people up the wrong way entirely, because they (the general viewers, general fans and nerdfans) are used to the particular formula you mentioned above. And it's a formula that works and has worked (surprisingly well I might add) for decades because it has been quite simple and rigid.

*As an aside, I seem to recall someone in the show saying that Timelords were all male.

Advertisement