Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Servant Covid Recognition

• 23-09-2021 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Ill just leave this here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/more-than-3-000-domestic-violence-999-calls-marked-cancelled-by-garda-1.4601760

Lets give the guards a bonus for not doing their job. LOL 

If i was the Gov here id tell nurses etc to F-off. They already get average 11 annual leave days more than retail for example.

A bonus for doing their job!! I worked all the way through. I won't get anything. Dont expect to.

Estimated billion to pay for this. That means at least 3 billion. I dunno if its cuz im getting older but the waste of money by the current shower is just amazing. Squandering €30 billion not batting an eyelid.

Everything is f*cked and all we hear about is makey makey upy upy job coveney for 3 months.

My god healthcare....

Next elections...not saying it'll change anything but we need the pictures removed so you dopey shower reading this will stop ticking the faces you recognise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'll just leave this here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Are you comparing someone who works in retail vs someone who has another person health and potentially life in their hands? With full on human contact and a potential to catch covid much easier. Then the abhorrent hours that nurses have worked over the pandemic coupled with the emotional impact of watching many people die and dealing with their respective families?

Yeah. Woe is me is really the right attitude here.

(I am in no way belittling the fantastic work done by retailers which have shown just how important they are over the preceding 18 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nurses in full PPE vs supermarket staff with no protection initially and a few poxy perspex screens eventually. Selling food which can kill vulnerable people if it's not handled and stored correctly.

Some nurses working hard, long hours in busy Covid wards. Many bored out of their tree because services were emergencies only.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nurses are not civil servants, they are public servants.

What I don't get is, if healthcare staff were responsible for bringing the virus into hosps and nursing homes, why would we reward them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Just because it looks more likely doesn't mean they actually are. It's a job at the end of the day, a vital one in our society but so too were shelf packers. It's actually such bullshit. Where were the pizza deliveries and care packs for the Lidl staff in the throes of the pandemic? Meanwhile nurses were dancing to the Jerusalem song for TikTok . I hate society at times and there's nothng that annoys me more than people whining about 'the poor nurses'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If people had been reasonably happy with our health service pre Covid I think many would support the idea of bonuses for healthcare staff. Unfortunately, our health and social care were a sh*tshow before Covid. Talk of bonuses costing 350 million -1 billion will infuriate people and will spark off a deluge of Whatabouts, many of them valid.

For instance, what about elderly and disabled people and their unpaid family carers living in the community who were terribly affected by the pandemic. Services such as day care, meals on wheels and homecare were withdrawn with families having to step in. Community physiotherapists were redeployed to other duties. Vulnerable people were advised to "cocoon" and to talk to the local GAA club to get food shopping. People couldn't visit their relatives in nursing homes and were rightly trying to keep relatives at home and out of nursing homes and hospitals at all costs. Then when the vaccine rollout started, unlike in the UK, family carers received no recognition whatsoever.

I complained to the HSE about the services that weren't provided during the pandemic. The person I spoke to admitted that there was chaos and they had great difficulty getting some staff to do anything where they might come into contact with another human being as they were so fearful of Covid. And now everyone may get a bonus for "putting their lives on the line"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This

Not all nurses were involved in the treatment of patients with covid and those that weren't never had as little to do

Why bother giving these things any objective thought when we can just go with received wisdom

Nurses are all selfless saints and that's all we need to know

Bonuses for those that worked in stressful positions during the covid pandemic before vaccinations and on the front line. Like nurses and doctors and HCA's, porters etc working in A&E or on a covid Ward. Not for someone who worked in a back office role and had no exposure to covid patients or someone who worked from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'd begrudge Christ a half an hour off the cross.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

A concentrated mass of illness vs a supermarket are two completely different things. This whataboutery has nothing to do with the fact that nurses were very much at the frontline of it all. Why don't they deserve to get a bonus? If you're in the army you get danger pay if you are going above and beyond the call of duty why would you not be paid?

The conditions were stretched in hospitals or have we all forgot about the PPE, ventilator crisis and ICU crisis all occurring. Hospital staff went above and beyond to adapt and make do. Doing a job would entail being able to do it with the proper supplies, facilities etc. Many nurses quit over these very conditions. Those that didn't got on with it.

What is even the debate here? Everyone who had to work in the pandemic with masses of the public under risky conditions deserves bonuses and some form of appreciation. But somehow comparing an area of concentrated covid infections (a hospital) versus a retail store, does not hold weight. Nurses should rightly be considered first and if you have looked at any developments there is talk of extending that out to other key workers.

"Just doing their job" I have never heard anything more condescending and snide recently than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

So U say nothing should be provided for people who were working hard in offices to keep the country afloat? You didn’t feel they weren’t taking enough risk goin into offices full of people to ensure most of the country could stay at homes on 350

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Looking forward to getting my 10 days off. I don't mind Michael McGrath TD taking my 5 off over the next two years.

Thanks 👍

The people forced home on a reduced 350 paid a far higher price than the vast majority of civil servants who saw no cut to wages

I bet many of the same civil servants were earning little more after tax while working till 7-8 in the eve to ensure everyone in the country was paid pup/wage subsidy … and now you begrudge them getting some kind of token gesture … how sad

You honestly believe any civil servants work until 7 or 8 ?

They are out the door @ 5 and in many cases 4.30 pm , no way would unions allow for an extra three hours work

Many civil servants worked from home during the last eighteen months, no covid risk

Besides there were never any reports of abnormally high rates of infection in government office settings, not like meat factories etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

They were forwarding the ransomware around to each others departments to help spread it so that they'd have even less to do.

I work in a hospital. They were never as quiet. Crock of sh1t.

How much was wasted renting out all the private ones and not used....id no problem renting them but letting the waiting lists swell by a few million and the hospitals doing nothing.

They all deserve another fecking clap for this genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Busy printing out appointment cancellation letters cuz of all the extra leave coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Also what is the bit about the makey up jobs and Coveney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

A whole billion? or equivilant of 2 weeks social welfare bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Lidl staff, and most retail staff in big stores, got bonuses already.

god u know it all about them so… any more generalizations you want to make ? What were u doing since March 2020 as a matter of interest? How did u help the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You obviously live a very sheltered life to believe that.

Why is this thread titled Civil Servant Covid Recognition with a link to an article about Gardai?

Neither Gardai (or Nurses for that matter) are civil servants.

Haha… I see you stated that you hate your job in a previous thread… I assume you don’t get on with others there…therefore all your fellow workers are wasters …. Nice

• Advertisement

Advertisement