Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar hits the right note for Landlords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Most renters pay their rent, so don't even need grace periods of 40 days or whatever.

Yes unfurnished sounds fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You are still ignoring that fact that that buyer(s) is(are) generally going to be moving from housing that they themselves are renting. Thereby freeing up one rental property. If they are moving from another house that they own, then that results in their old house then being available for someone to purchase. Eventually, at the end of that chain, you will either get an investor buying up that spare house and renting it out, or you will get someone who is currently renting and who will then leave that rental property available for other renters.

And you forget the fact that, especially with rent-a-room-relief, many single first time buyers rent out spare bedrooms even if they do go from a multi-tenant situation to one where they have spare beds.

Let us apply reductio ad absurdum to what your logic appears to be saying. We will extrapolate. You appear to be saying that if less houses were owner occupied, and more people were renting those houses from landlords instead, it would result in a a discernible alleviation of the housing crisis.

Therefore, let the government pass a law that no house can be owner occupied. Each individual must live in a house that someone else owns. You can buy as many houses as you want - you just have to live in one that someone else owns. How much additional capacity would be generated under that rule?

If a relatively small number (i.e. small landlords leaving the sector as a proportion of all housing in the State) is as important an effect as you appear to be saying, then surely outlawing all owner-occupation would have an enormous positive effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You cannot take for granted that properties rented by small landlords will be re-let when they are vacated, many take the opportunity to sell. Also, I suspect the percentage of new buyers who take licensees in, especially in Covid times, is not of significance. The affect of landlords leaving the sector, like the number, is not small.

Again, Leo was right, if you want to keep/attract small, or as you call them “amateur” landlords to the rental sector, where they are badly needed, introducing the SF proposals will have the opposite effect.

• I'm lucky (and very **** thankful) to own my own home, and not without help from my parents. My parents were essentially my mortgage.

I've rented and was (exceptionally) lucky to have great landladies.

Many of my friends are not in the same boat. They're paying more in rent than they would in a mortgage, what sort of society is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Leo is just paying lipservice to small landlords , this is something he occasionally does , his primary concern is with institutional landlords here for the tax breaks and capital appreciation. FFG strategy to move the Irish rental model from "mom and pop" to institutions ala European model has backfired as instead of European capital they brought avaracious US vulture and Hedge funds in and the market has run out of control.Really at this point there is nothing the govt can do and this market will run its ugly course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

SF and the other left wing parties oppose the institutional landlord model

Of course they do. It would be a very easy, and populist, position to make. I wouldn't be guided by anything SF might ever say in relation to economics. Or 99% of real world issues for that matter. They will of course happen to make a relevant point some of the time in the same way that a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What caused or is contributing to the scarcity? Smaller landlord exiting the market, other being reluctant to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Did you forget about the work id have to put in and huge sum of money up front?

Of course you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A sh1t one, but "accidental landlords" arent the problem. Its a supply issue. We've always been crap at homes and public transport.

• Advertisement

Heres one example that ive seen. Pretty sure there are more.

4 bed house in Dublin rented by 2 couples and 2 single people.

One couple got pregnant and decided they were going to buy their own place.

Then the other couple decided they were going to buy too.

The two single people decided to move out and presumably rented rooms elsewhere.

Landlord decided to sell when it was empty.

A young couple with a small child bought the house. I believe they were living with parents while saving for the mortgage.

So where one property was required to house all those people, now you have 3 properties going to house them and thats not including the single people who presumably just took rooms in other houses.

I'll let you in on a little secret. If you pay up front, as you are now appearing to say, then you won't be paying back a mortgage.

Or are you counting it twice? C'mon, this is very basic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

As a non property owner it looks all rosy for you. That why you are renting !

So you would also agree with my absurd thesis from above that extrapolating that, it would be a solution to the housing crisis if nobody was allowed to live in their own house?

Jesus Donald, you are acting just like your namesake. You have a very narrow view of things and anybody who doesnt agree with you must be wrong. But carry on ....

There is a scarcity of housing due to current policies. It is quite simple. Developers are allowed to sit on landbanks for as long as they want, without penalty.

It can be difficult to open up new areas for rezoning, and even when rezoned, nuisance interference by "nimbys", and by elected representatives, can drag out the process for years.

Government rules and regulations also inhibit the supply of houses.

There are small landlords on here. What percentage of those do you think bought an already existing house? And booking off the plans is included in that because even in that scenario, they don't hand over all the money for the house until they receive it. They are not increasing supply.

Years ago, we had a situation where there was a strict limit on taxi licences. There was a fixed number. If an individual went and decided to buy a taxi licence in order to rent it out as an investment, they were not increasing supply. When you buy your house, you are not increasing supply, you are only replacing ownership of that house. You may be transferring from the owner-occupier market to the rental market if you outbid or buy from an owner-occupier, but that is irrelevant in the current context of critical shortages in both.

We are unfortunately in a de-facto similar situation of effectively fixed numbers of "licences" (houses) due to current government policies and rules. Who owns them does not affect supply

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What question are we trying to answer here?

The right to somewhere to live or the right to own the place you live in?

Fully agree with the former , fundamentally disagree with the latter.

Landlords are not the reason people can't buy houses nor are they the reason people cant rent houses.

Rent caps , Restrictions on Evictions etc. etc. won't suddenly make it easier to rent or buy . At best it'll make no difference it's more likely they'll make it worse.

If Landlords can't cover their costs , they'll exit the rental market - That doesn't make more houses available - It just kicks out a renter and replaces them with a home owner and you still have somebody without a home.

If Landlords can't evict someone for not paying rent or whatever , the same thing happens , only it takes much longer and nobody gets anything.

Want to lower the cost of Rents and House purchases?

Make more of them available in more places - Shifting a static supply of properties from rental to ownership and back again doesn't do anything for anyone in terms of solving the fundamental issue - Which isn't cost , it's availability , because the more availability the lower the cost.

Basic supply and demand stuff.

Many of the properties would not have been built at all if small investors hadn't been willing to but them. In particular the S.23 apartment blocks which were erected in central Dublin between 1985 and 2005. Owner occupiers use more space than renters so squeezing out small investors in favour of owner ocupiers diminishes the supply of accommodation. This is not the only factor influencing supply, it is a contributor. The major factors are the inability of smaller developers to fund speculative building and the limitations on finance to buy to let investors and unwillingness of investors to purchase property for letting.

So you also agree with my absurd thesis from above.

i.e. if living in a property that you owned was made illegal (you could own as many properties as you like, you just couldn't live in one you owned yourself), then that would solve the housing crisis?

It is curious that you mention financing of developments but don't seem to understand that a model with many small landlords is not conducive to financing developments. Were you and 100 of your buddies willing to draw down your mortgages in advance and hand that over to a developer to get a project off the ground, then you would be financing development. But the chances of you doing that are effectively zero. What the small landlord wants is the property which is already built before they hand over their money.

• Advertisement

Any agreement is purely on the stopped clock principle.

There is an inherent risk when using reductio ad absurdum logic to support your point of view, as your namesake demonstrated repeatedly.

Well lets assume you currently live in your own house. If you instead rented out your own house, you might try to squeeze two families in (bring back the tenements m'lud).

Now when you have to rent the house across the road, your family unit will now be apparently content and happy to share the hosue with another family unit. Because you are renting. If you were living in your own house you would demand not to share.

Everyone would be happy ... or so your argument goes. You will also be rightfully thankful to your new landlord for providing you with your housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Pretty much our experience as almost ex-landlords!

We were renting a 4 bed house to 3 couples (basically 2 sisters, their partners and a couple who were friends of one of the sisters).

Unfortunately, the tenants before them completely trashed the property and we used up all our "reserves" (and then some) to get it put back into a fit state before re-letting it. This was second time the house had been trashed over the years and even though the current tenants (and every other set of tenants, those two excepted) have been brilliant we found the anxiety associated with being landlords and worrying about looking after a property without the cushion of a reserve to be really worth it - even before you factor in the general rhetoric around demonising landlords.

Considering that, and the state of the market, it just makes sense (for us) to exit the rental market as a supplier - so we're adding to the supply of property available for purchase but creating extra demand in the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Is that you Eoin O Broin, because if it not, it's the same sort of s*it he spouts. I rent blaa blaa, I'm sure he could buy something on his salary, but hold on a minute that wouldn't suit my image being a homeowner, but fools swallow his populist nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Institutional landlords are pretty much standard across the rest of Europe which have far better long-term rental models.

But then those parties also oppose water charges which are also something pretty much standard there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

I had the painful experience of switching on newstalk the other evening and someone from the Labour party talking about getting the 'balance' right whilst proposing the new bill for more tenants rights and ignoring the fact that LL were getting nothing it in, dispite the use of the word balance. She then used the word 'eviction' many times instead of notice to vacate since there is a difference. She blabbered on about the research showing this and that (all pro tenant) and then finally when the host asked about LL exiting the market she mentioned that there was no research on this area and by her tone she didnt want any either. 

So at this stage I was shouting at the radio about not wanting to discuss the actual reason LL are leaving. she then replied it must be house prices, ignoring the fact that LL's having been quitting for years now. Finally the host thanked Ivana Bacik and it all made sense .......

Advertisement