Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Rang up today, was on 65 pm for 230mb. Did 6 months €30 and 6 months €60, so a new customer deal. Moved the speed to 250mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Cookiee

40 mins and counting on hold with virgin so far, just want to cancel, unless they offer 9 months half price. Is it norm for 40+ mins on hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

10 month upfront payment offer

Get BT Sport 1, 2, 3, BT Sport ESPN and Premier Sports 1 and 2

€120 for 10 months

I think that s really good (for me anyway, as I want to watch Serie A) . but would la liga games only show on the LA LIGA channel? I do remember some games also on Premier sport 1/2 and Free Air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

So we're on a crap legacy deal, gone on up to €95 now. I've been snoozing for too long. Looking at the bigger bundle which I can get for €67 12 months then €104. Current VM account is under my OH. Is it as simple as ordering the bigger bundle myself online as a new customer and getting the OH to cancel the current bundle?

I'd love to save all that time on the phone hammering out some sort of discount

Yep your partner can cancel their deal and you sign up as a new customer and you'll get a better deal

• Advertisement

Finally got through and they offered me a deal which is 150€ extra a year from what I'm currently on, so I just cancelled eveything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Sweet, got the 500mb package for €52 a month. Worth holding the 35 minutes. I had asked for the new customer deal which was €71 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Currently on 500mb and just out of contract, ran through the usual little 'dance'

The first offer was 10 off for 6 months

Then 10 off for 9 months

Then 15 off for 6 months (this went instantly to 9 months)

Then half price for 6 months (which would be a yearly cost of €639)

Finally, after saying 'just cancel my contract' I got Gigabit speeds for 42.50 for 9 months and then full price for 3 months so a yearly cost of €637.50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Got a cheeky enough fella myself. I said I think I'll just hot-spot off my 5g phone, he said that'll destroy the phone believe me I tried it

Offered 45 a month for 9 months 60 for the last 3

I said no good

So back to the same deal I'm on 250mb, thirty for 6 months and sixty for the last six

Bit of an arséhole but don't have the time to be dealing with them

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

You should have said "Really? Were you finding Virgin expensive too that you did that!!"

• Advertisement

Haha very good! If I'd had more time I would've pressed him further. They have my head over a barrel as, he correctly quoted, that eir could only provide 8mb in my area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone had any joy of getting a second year half price for 9 months offer lately? Renewal time coming up, time for the usual rigmarole!

I've had 9 months half price this year. 6 months half price the year before, so on and so forth. Rang them for the usual initial inquiry today, I was told to ring back in a few weeks closer to the ned of my contract but 'highly unlikely' they'll be able to do such a 'unique' deal like my last one.

OpenEir has come into my development in the last few weeks so I reckon it's 9 months half price or I'm gone this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

It seems Virgin aren't acknowledging cancellation emails any more.

I have sent two off without reply.

While talking to them on Whatsapp they said that no email had been received and the best way to cancel is to ring 1904.

They cannot process cancelations over Whatsapp.

Infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shee7

I am having the same experience with them. Sent them an email on Aug 10th to cancel and paid my last bill immediately. Also cancelled my direct debit to be safe.

Needless to say, September's bill still arrived.

Like yourself, they completely ignored the email. I have tried to ring at least 5 times and was told there was a wait time of 30 mins. They refuse to accept cancellation via email, Twitter, WhatsApp or live chat. The only way is to wait at least 30 mine on the phone which is ridiculous. They are purposely making it as difficult as possible to cancel so I said f*ck that.

I logged in to my acccount and changed my phone number to all zeros and my email to gobbledy gook. If a letter ever comes in my door it'll get returned to sender.

And they can sing for whatever bills the send in the mean time. Their customer service is the absolute pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hi all,

I'm currently on €60 for the 250mb broadband only package, just out of contract. Rang up the sales department and they said the set price for it is €60 and that they couldn't change it.

I said there are cheaper alternatives (however I'm in an apartment building in Dublin where the only fibre provider is Virgin Media so I'm kind of stuck but hopefully they aren't aware of that), but they said there is nothing they can do and that I'd get back to them.

Is it at this point people threaten cancellation?, happy to do it to get a better deal but obviously don't want to actually cancel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

This is one of the reasons I've quit virgin today. Total of 2 1/2 hours phone call waiting plus takes a day to get back on WhatsApp ! They must be cutting staff their left right and centre.

Also I'm done with the yearly haggling when they raise prices.

Haggled them back from €90 to extortionate €59 pm for just 500mb broadband from €80 2 months ago, ... Found out today Vodafone is offering 500mb for €30 pm so happy to pay final bill and €150 cancellation as they can choke on it.

I reckon they might be selling off soon so maximizing profits / cutting staff to squeeze the joy from customers before they go. They can feck off and take their cans and guitar with them.

Tell them you're on 5g and will hot spot off your phone, got me down from 60 a month for 250mb to 30 for 6 months

Also, get through to the cancellation department not sales. They are far more aggressively trained in my experience :) don't stop until you get my deal (at least) of half off for 6 months

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am on same package and rang up, asked for 9 months half price, they said how about 6, I said yes.

I feel like they have our collective balls in a vice at present, the 6 months half price was the very last resort the representative offered, I couldn't push him down any further

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Worth haggling down at least until Vodafone fibre or whoever comes to the area

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Davy05

Just got off the phone with Virgin after being on hold forever naturally.

I was previously on their €64 a month Virgin 250 Mix bundle which has been bumped up to their premium rate of €90+ after my 12 month contract ran out last month.

I told them i wanted to speak to their loyalty or customer retention department, after being put on hold again i eventually get talking to a cheeky fecker who was adamant the lowest he could offer me was €74 for the same deal i'm currently on. Told him all the usual about how they're offering far cheaper deals to new customers and how their competitors are cheaper but he still wouldn't budge.

Now i don't actually want to leave as i can't get Fibre from Eir in my area and I don't actually want the hassle of a changeover in service to Vodafone or Sky while i'm working from home and reliant on broadband.

What does everyone else here do in this situation to get better deals because i feel they are much more aggressive in calling out the bluff these days. Should i have asked to speak to his manager instead? When you get put through to their cancellation department how do you get offered better deals?

I'm a bit new at all this and would appreciate a few tips from any of you who have had better luck.

Thanks!

If you live with someone else, spouse etc or even over 18 child, have them sign up in their name and they will get the new customer deal, and just cancel your account with them, I believe you give 30 days notice, then your family member/house mate can sign up with their details and they get the new customer value! It's annoying but it works (I've done it before)

Post edited by Cookiee on

Wonder was it the same cheeky fecker I got a week or two ago. Real cheeky tool, brought up my usage in the past month which I thought shouldn't be anyone's business

I only got down to half price because I said I've 5g on my phone and I'll hot-spot. Cheeky git said how it'd break my phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Got 1/2 price BB and TV last year after registering as a new customer the year before.

Rang the other day as in the last month and the best I can get is €15 off for first 9months + sky sports for €10pm all year. Plus the new 360 box.

So €87 + €10 for 9 months and €102 + €10 for 3 months.

Not great at all. In cooling off period so prob will cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Was paying 85 for broadband Siro in neighborhood now so going to switch to them to try it out... Virgin cancellation team offering 15 off a month...told them cancel it bye bye

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Rang back to cancel and immediately got offered the 6 months half price plus sky sports at €10 per month. Took it gladly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Half price for 6 months is the most they would offer me. Told them on the phone I would be cancelling and starting a new account in OH's name. No budge from them on that offer. So told them to cancel my account.

Im in an area with Virgin is the best for broadband so cant really move to another provider but I at least expected them to match the new customer deal for me. But no go

Exact same experience, talk about customer loyalty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Its roughly 270€ better off for me to cancel and take the new customer deal. So I will be doing that. Just surprised because for the past 8 or more years I have renewed each yeah and got either a better or equivalent deal to the new customer one. But this year there was no haggling with me when I knocked back their 6 month half price offer.

Advertisement