Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Obtaining a license for a .223 S/A

• 19-09-2021 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Ok so before I say anything I’m aware of the ban that make come into effect before the end of the year or it could be pushed on for years

I wish to license a .223 semi automatic rifile probably something relatively affordable like the m&p 15 sport 2

I understand that being a restricted firearm I must demonstrate to my chief superintendent why I specifically require the rifile and why this cannot be achieved with a unrestricted rifile aka a .223 bolt action

also I am going to be joining the midland gun club

does anybody known any target shooting disciplines I could use as my reason or legal hunting activities that would specifically require a .223 rifile with a S/A action

thanks.

Post edited by Cass on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

It’s probably too late if you want to get one, if the legislation passes, that is. The ban is going to be retrospective, so even if you license one, you're going to lose the license. I don't know if anyone has a 223 in stock, but I'm fairly sure Patrick O'Mahony has a few M1 carbines in stock so if you're gambling on the cut off date being changed that's probably your best bet. https://www.facebook.com/Patrick-OMahony-Firearms-236603733678852/

Regarding reason for getting a centrefire semi automatic rifle, the midlands range runs a competition called Bullseye 360 and there's a category for CF SA rifles. A good few other competitions run a category for M1 carbines too. NASRPC is a good place to look for upcoming competitions. http://nasrpc.ie/

JB88 did a very good run down of getting similar firearms, and if you have any more question just send me a pm. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058080495/how-to-get-a-licence-for-a-restricted-rifle#latest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

irishshooter32 - does anybody known any target shooting disciplines I could use as my reason or legal hunting activities that would specifically require a .223 rifile with a S/A action.

I don't know of any comps outside of the Midlands so good choice on the range for membership. That doesn't mean there are none, simply that I know of no other ranges running these types of competitions and an NASRPC person at the MNSCI told me once that I could not compete in their disciplines with my 223 SA. Wrong caliber. Perhaps someone else can name a few ranges with the disciplines that allow for a SA 223.

As mentioned above the Bullseye 360 competitions are open caliber/open sights so any type of firearm is allowed. The semi-auto is brilliant for this competition as its a timed event and the semi-auto function of the rifle allows for quicker shooting, reduced recoil (so stay on target, more accurately), and with no bolt to work you can retain better target sight/picture.

Other competitions run, and you'd have to check this out, are the sporting rifle, Guardian matches, and there is one other I cannot for the life of me remember the name of. All three comps are open comps with any rifle just so long as its mag fed, iirc. Some of these are also timed so a semi-auto may be an advantage over a bolt action in terms of shot speed, retaining target picture/sight, cycling, etc.

When I applied I named the comps, but its not really a condition. Only that you're a member of a range. Now to be completely upfront with the CS, and to aid in your application I'd suggest giving as much info as possible.

The other side of your argument, as per your OP, is the hunting aspect of your application. If you intend to use the rifle as a dual purpose firearm, as I did with mine, then this aids in your application. When I applied I ticked "Target shooting" and "Other" on the FCA1. My reasons for the target shooting were covered by the membership to the range, the comps, etc. and for hunting I gave reasons such as quicker follow up shot, less recoil hence more accurate (basically the same reasons it made a good target rifle), but the most important reason I gave was the duality of the rifle. If I couldn't have the rifle for both purposes then It'd require me to get one dedicated rifle for target shooting and another for hunting hence I'd be seeking two licenses for two rifles when the semi-auto fulfilled both purposes as a single firearm.

When I met with my Chief Super I outlined these reasons, brought records of attendance of the range (remember competition entrances are not a prerequisite for any application), and cited my years as a hunter with copies of my and permissions for the hunting aspect. I got the nod here and then and the license followed within the coming week.

Lastly, and I know you opened with your understanding of current events, but I feel it important to reiterate it. This "proposed ban" is now no longer proposed and is in fact drafted and in the first stages of the Dáil according to letters received from the DoJ. That means whether it takes months or a year legislation is on the way and you risk loosing the firearm almost immediately after you'd get it. Forewarned is forearmed.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Other competitions run, and you'd have to check this out, are the sporting rifle, Guardian matches, and there is one other I cannot for the life of me remember the name of. 

An Riocht in Kerry runs an "Irish" version of Practical or Service rifle too.

FWIW,if you are considering getting an AR in this climate,I'd suggest sticking with that design as it is versatile enough to be converted to a straight-pull bolt action, or even pump-action if you want to stick with this design,or even dump the 223 upper and get a dedicated 22. upper if things go South. As most of the AR makers are around 1500 starting prices on the continent, you would want to consider a plan B for that kind of money.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irishshooter32

Hey case thanks for the reply Man helps a lot in my application

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

There are 4 shoots in Kerry for Semi auto centrefires one due in October I think, wahtch the An Riocht website or msg me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For your reading consumption. Head 2, amendment to section 3 with the insertion of section 3(f). The ban is there is the exact same format as the 2008/2009 pistol ban. Word for word copy of section 3(d) which banned pistols and grandfathered anything before the cut off point.

If you buy the receiver, you're going to lose it.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Unless you then build a straight pull, bolt action, or a S/A rimfire off it.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

Unless you then build a straight pull, bolt action, or a S/A rimfire off it.

MARS, pump or lever action are also options.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Note This Head gives effect to the Minister’s commitment to introduce a cap on the licensing of centre-fire semi-automatic rifles.  

The Head is modelled on section 3D of the Firearms Act 1925 as amended by section 30 of the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009. 

3D.— (1) As and from the date of commencement of this section, no application for a firearm certificate in respect of a short firearm shall be considered by an issuing person other than for—

(a) a device capable of discharging blank ammunition and to be used as a starting gun or blank firing gun;

(b) a short firearm of a type specified at paragraph 4(2)(e) of the Fire-arms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 ( S.I. No. 21 of 2008 ) and designed for use as so specified;

(c) a short firearm for which the applicant for the firearm certificate held a firearm certificate on or before 19 November 2008.

(2) Any firearm certificate in respect of a short firearm, other than one to which paragraphs (a) to (c) of subsection (1) relates, granted between 19 November 2008 and the date of commencement of this section and in force shall stand revoked.

Your move to tell us why it's rubbish .... As you have all this inside info?

• Advertisement

There is a shoot on the first Saturday in December in An riocht and there are roughly 4 shoots per year if not more in An Riocht which are open to all to shoot their SA .223 rifles and bolt action classic rifles

<MOD SNIP> No trying to circumvent a thread ban by continuing the discussion elsewhere.

Post edited by Cass on

Advertisement