Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭densification

I put in a submission to DPER on the new NDP urging them to put DU back in. Fingers crossed.

This govt seems a lot more willing to spend money than the previous one.

Metro and bus connects have been very slow to do anything. There’s a real lack of political will there.

We should start seeing a lot of the D+ money being spent soon. They’ve already decided what trains they’re getting. Maynooth line electrification should start in next 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Are they not currently awaiting Government approval of the preliminary business case?

They need that before they can submit the Railway Order application to ABP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Any off topic posts following my warning will be deleted.

Any further posts will be sanctioned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Posts moved to new thread - Metrolink south of Charlemont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Ireland trains

Any update on when the project is supposed to be submitted to abp. Everything seems to have gone quiet recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

The NTA were developing a feasibility study on the various options for the southern section, Sandyford, UCD and South West. That's is due to be released along with the updated Draft of the Transport Strategy in the next month or so.

James Geogeghan from Fine Gael, said the government are waiting for this feasibility study to be released so they can decide whther to let to project proceed or reconfigure the alignment again.

Which is mind numbingly stupid but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Hello all. I thought this might be a good forum for information on LUAS.

I want to take the LUAS from the G.P.O. to Harcourt St., as I will be travelling from Heuston Station with luggage and transferring from the Abbey St. The LUAS map is confusing, in that the tram goes straight and there is also a line going in a square.

How can I identify the tram that runs towards Harcourt St? Will it be on the front of the tram?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Wrong thread for sure LOL, get the green line from Marlborough station. The tram only goes one direction from there. The map clearly shows the arrows too, best of luck on your travels 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

Irish Rail just tweeted that they're going to announce when the new train station at Pelletstown will open in the coming week and a friend asked if it was going to be named after anyone and when we stopped naming stations after people.

As I'm sure you know a handful of stations were renamed in 1966 to coincide with the 50th Anniversary of the Easter Rising, but it was primarily just principal stations.

But I noticed that they were all named after men, and we don't have a single station named after a woman. By all accounts Countess Markievicz was heavily involved in the Rising so I think it stands to reason that she should have a station named after her.

That's why I'm proposing Glasnevin Markievicz. Glasnevin will become one of Dublin's busiest stations and as it will be a Metro and Irish Rail station, it stands to reason we could name it for her.

After that though, no more naming stations after people as I think it overcomplicates things, but I do think we should have at least one named for a woman.

What do you think? Someone also suggested changing Tara Street to Dublin Markievicz, like Dublin Connolly and Dublin Pearse as it's near the Markievicz Leisure Centre, which could facilitate the area becoming known as Markievicz, as often happens when stations are named something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

No issue with that from here, although some posters here prefer Cross Guns over Glasnevin station. Maybe Markievicz Cross Guns.

Although a ciy centre Markievicz station at Tara St. might be seen as more prominent than in a suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

We'll probably get Panti Bliss Glasnevin in then end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is Tara St named after a woman although not during 1916. It's maybe due to an earlier time period? I would have thought the station was named as Tara St because it is usually a name that is associated with the first name of a Irish woman. I have never heard of any Irish men having their first name as Tara. Although I'm thinking the Hill of Tara in Co. Meath might have something to do with the naming of the station. Or could I be overthinking it at this point?

Both Tara Street and women named Tara are named after Tara the place.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Should surely be hearing concrete news on this fairly shortly. Dail back, Budget on the way shortly, new NDP being published and Covid is becoming more of a sideshow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I figured as much. There's a massive road scheme in Donegal that should be going to Cabinet shortly too. It had been a quiet late summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Would prefer Tara St be renamed to Markievicz. Because it's a central station/intercity. Suburban stations should reflect the place they are located in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Ah but Tara is much easier to spell than Markievicz!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Paddico

What has Markieviaz got to do with central?

• Advertisement

Railway order application now due to go to ABP in Q1 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Glasnevin Interchange is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Jesus X. What's the programme look like now? Completion must be pushed well into the 2030s

Earlier in the year, I would have said 2029. Now it looks like 2030.

Post edited by Peregrine on

Has this been reported officially? As in with reason included?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

The logic of this escapes me.

At present, Maynooth trains and PPT trains (in total, about 6 tph at peak) are running through Glasnevin Junction (no station) to stations in Drumcondra and Connolly. M3 trains (2 tph) are running through Glasnevin Junction (no station) and along the Midland Line to the Docklands station. Since the M3 trains already share a considerable amount of track with Maynooth trains, there should be no difficulty doing whatever Maynooth trains do, including going to Connolly if needs be. (They don't currently do that, but they could).

The overall plan, as I understand it, is that IE will have a new Docklands station into which all of these lines can run, and some will certainly have to do that to make that station viable.

If that's IE's plan, why bother with a station of any kind at Glasnevin?

I suggest that the plan should be to eventually run all of the M3, Maynooth and PPT trains through Glasnevin (no station) to Drumcondra Station and then into either the new Docklands Station or Connolly as capacity desires and as needs allow.

And, probably, let the Midland line go back to being a freight-only line. I can't really see why you would persist with it as a passenger route if you start using the new Docklands station.

As we can see from the metrolink plans, travelling southward from Ballymun, its route has about 200 metres where it is heading almost directly towards Drumcondra, but then it suddenly veers off to to go towards Glasnevin. This is a location where it is inevitably going to cannibalise the uptake of the Green Line from which is only 400 metres away in places. Not so with Drumcondra, which is nicely placed about halfway between the lines into Connolly and the Green Line. To my mind, this would give a more efficient uptake of capacity.

A metro station at Drumcondra makes sense for the above reasons alone. But it makes even more sense when you consider, as has been shown on this board, that it has a considerably higher population and population density than the area around the proposed station at Glasnevin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,859 ✭✭✭tom1ie

Jesus Christ! Is this thing ever gonna happen?

what are the reasons for these delays?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭jd

Government has business case. I think they are balking at giving NTA approval to submit Railway Order. I've heard cost is north of 4bn, so it is for political reasons..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The problem with things like this is the guy who gives the go ahead on the job won’t be the guy who cuts the ribbon.

they want credit for doing things before an election not some distant time.

Advertisement