Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yep, perfectly fine. Just be sure there is enough weight so that you work the muscle effectively

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

if you can load it sufficiently and if you can feel the tension in your calves as you do the reps then sure.

2 questions that may change my answer

would the grip would give out before your calves denying a sufficient number of reps?

Also wondering how it would work for balance though - two hands on a barbell on front and moving calves through full range of motion like off a step - I'd need a spare hand for balance on wall / frame or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If can hold enough weight to do the calf raises, grand.

the only growth I ever got for calfs was doing 20 rep calf raises btw. This seems to be a common theme, calfs respond better to high reps. No idea why.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I can't load nearly enough on my back to get the same feeling I got on the leg press machine when doing calves. Same holding the bar low. The balance and that feels fine because it's basically the deadlift lockout position.

Grip was the limiting factor today. Holding 100kg on the ends of my fingers for the final two reps. I want to get into bouldering when that opens again where I live, which is why I thought about doing this.

I should prob go higher then. I tend to do around 12-15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Full ROM, good tempo and being in being in proximity to failure is more important than a specific number… 12+ sounds fine. Agree quite high reps are better for calves as for some other muscle groups for accessory work for hypertrophy.

With a movement like this you want stability and to be able to just focus on the muscle being worked. Tottering about to any degree, or resisting it, if I’m charitable, might be en vogue for an athlete into functional training, but for someone focused on hypertrophy it’s counter productive. If there is an element of instability or a grip work element going on then yeah, it’s not optimal. Holding on to the bar with your fingers doesn’t sound like that was ideal for the highest quality set you could do for your calves.

I have done barbell calf raises before and I used straps. The balance element I addressed by putting my back to an upright on a rack. For added ROM I used a bumper on the ground.

Personal view, let your warm up and sub 85% deadlifts be minus straps and then after that if you want to do grip work just do grip work, don’t take away from performance of other movements unless you’re really stuck for time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A Bench question, last couple of times now doing my highest weight set, my left hamstring started cramping, build up to was fine. I'd have been generally warmed up as I do OHP first, though not legs in particular. Form-wise go for an overall brace but not particularly trying to drive my feet into the floor. 2 off the top of my head solutions for next time, is bring a roller and do a couple of min on it first and or some warm up RDL's /Jefferson curls?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Cill94

Are your hips lifting off the bench? If that’s not happening, then I’d try adjusting your foot position as that will modify stress on the hamstring.

No, 4 points of contact on the bench all the time, Ill check feet, possibly have them too far forward

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

The more I do, the better I ain’t. I might be overtraining. I had the same hr for a light run earlier that I had for my 15k pr a few months ago. 200k a month is my average but back then I was probably doing 150. Wonder if a week off would benefit the legs.

So many variables with training, and some of them are hard to monitor unless you do it in an active way, and can account for a loss of performance over a protracted period. Work or family stress... Sleep patterns... Body weight fluctuations etc.

I do think that if you get into a good multi month stride and start to hit all time PRs, whatever the discipline, it's worth bearing in mind that there is a peaking effect going on. Just because you go up doesn't mean you're not going to come back down. I regret, in hindsight, not listening to my body and deloading before I got ground down. I hit PRs in 2020 that I'm between 5 and 15% off at the moment, depending on the lift.

Maybe if I'd eaten, rested and deloaded at the right time I would've done a better job of consolidating. But even though I've back-slided I guess two crucial things are that now I know what I can do, and I have the mental map to do it again.

Such is training! Have to get back up that slope now.

• Advertisement

More is not always better, as there’s a limit to what everyone can recover from.

If you haven’t backed off in a long time then it might be worth taking a light week.

Steve Magness is a good person to follow for running tips by the way.

Leg curls, any point? its one exercise I wasnt getting on well with, Would always get this sensation near the end like they were grinding the tendons behind my knees. Would I be right in saying they have no particular athletic carry over , or for compound movements as the hams are not being trained in their lengthened state and best drop it for an extra set of RDL's or some such? also looking to trim down my routine a bit, it was fine in July when everything was lighter so happy to drop some non essential stuff

Regarding the "grinding the tendons" behind your knees... You're going to have to make a call on this yourself. People report pain and discomfort with a variety of movements. Sometime's it due to incorrect execution, sometimes it's just a bad fit for their body type and roster of injuries. With a leg curl most machines are pretty adjustable, it should be possible to properly set it up for you.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with training using isolation movements, and particularly machines like the leg curl, but if you're doing a number of sets to failure then they can be pretty ... Impactful. I don't want to say painful, because people associate pain with injury in the gym, and that's usually correct, but a max effort set on a leg curl or a leg extension probably will feel pretty intense, particularly if you're doing them properly and really extending the negative.... Which is why some bodybuilders will talk about pushing into the pain zone to illicit progress (Dorian Yates has talked a lot about this over the years, particular as he is a high intensity training advocate).

In terms of whether leg curls are a 'good' movement to perform - yes, by any metric, they're a staple of a lot of programs for good reason.

I think the idea of "athletic carry over" is a a bit of questionable idea, as I've seen people performing wacky movements that achieve very little in the name of doing something they think has a more direct carry over to their sport. But for the sake of argument if someone is an athlete or wants to train like that then leg curls still have a place. You can do your compound lower body lifts first, say squat as a main movement and you do RDL for assistance, or whatever it is, and then you can move on to things like leg presses, leg extensions leg curls and to get further volume without beating the **** out of yourself and particularly your back (For example, you mention RDLs - a good assistance movement but can't slot in a high volume of them as an accessory without a price). This is the way all many of my lower body days are. A novice on a linear progression doesn't need to do this, but if someone has been training for a while then it's pretty smart I think.

If you were focused on hypertrophy / physique then isolation movements like machine movements like leg curls would be even more valuable. The fact that it is an isolation movement specifically targeting the hamstrings is precisely why it might be of more value to you, if hamstrings are a focus, than a deadlift variant that involves a variety of others.

Very easily used for particularly protocols like rest/pause, drop sets and so on also, can't do them safely for the lower body with free weights very easily.

Lately I've been going off certain movements that I've always tried to do when my programming called for them, but have finally admitted to myself that, for a variety of reasons, I am just not executing to a high enough standard that they are the best choice for me. I'm going to increasingly sub in other exercises that are "same but different".

Barbell rows, for example. Try as I might, straps or no, I never seem to be able to establish a mind muscle connection with these the same way I can with heavy single arm dumbbell rows, or incline dumbbell rows. I have tried various fixes and my barbell rows "look" fine, but I can tell you there is no comparison to how I feel having done barbell rows compared to a proper heavy dumbbell row workout. Maybe I'll return to them in the future... Again...

French presses are another one that have never done it for me. Many other overhead tricep exercises, no problem, but french presses are a meh one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I wouldn't see RDLs as a substitute for leg curls. One is knee flexion and the other is hip extension. Yes, it's the same muscle (or group of) but if you're going to sub leg curls for something else, perhaps just go for a variation of them instead. Maybe lying banded leg curls or something?

There are exercises that I've had a problem with before but leg curls isn't one of them. I was shown on day 1 to tempo it like 313 or something and keep it in the 12-15 range. Staying with this has always worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

By the way, i kind of missed the bit about whether there's any point to them or not. I don't know enough about the human body to say if they'd add to your sprinting speed or kicking power etc but in my uneducated opinion, they're useful in so far as they're strengthening a joint and doing them may do more to prevent future injury than not doing them

If you're just training for general strength, then I think any kind of hamstring-focused exercise is a fine substitute. There's nothing essential about leg curls.

Im progressing to do more knee related stuff, weighted lunges and step ups, Ill treat it as more a mobility thing

I prefer doing a supported row, I just do a mixture of seated and dumbell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Can anyone recommend some tshirts that won't smell terrible due to sweat. I've been wearing just normal tshirts that you'd wear every day but I've noticed they start to smell halfway through intense HIIT classes.

Just had a look on sports direct website but my head is fried looking at them so any recommendations on what I should be looking for would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Assuming you're washing them at a high enough temperature, and with detergent, and assuming they are not very worn-out t-shirts, then the next thing to try something extra with them before the wash. People use a solution of water and white vinegar but if you take baking soda and use a small amount of water with it to create a kind of paste, and then apply that to areas where you think the sweat is hanging on, and then leave it for a while before doing a wash, you might find that helps.

There are some t-shirts from the likes of Lululemon that have specific anti-odour treatments, but your average cotton t-shirt they're all going to be much the same, it's down to the individual and the washing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Anyone have any idea how much the SSBs at Flyefit weigh?

Honestly, you don’t smell as much as you think you do.

Fresh sweat doesn’t smell that bad, it’s only stale unwashed sweat that stinks. People are way too worried about how they smell these days. You’re supposed to sweat

Sleeveless cotton t shirts are your friend for exercise anyway.

they/them/theirs

Wear antiperspirant, not deodorant. They serve different purposes and a remarkable amount of people don't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

SSB's range from 50-70lb depending on size and brand so your best bet is to check the Brand & model the next time you are in and then check online for the exact weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Yeah unfortunately there are no markings on the bar to show what brand it is.

Why wear antiperspirant when you need to perspire? You should sweat during a HIIT session.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Fair point. But I'm not telling him to cover his body with it; just the small part that starts to smell bad easily for some people.

Advertisement