Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Gash:

1) less is more when it comes to cabs, this looks like a basic cabinet with a load of Alien memorabilia/merchandise glued onto it.

2) Never, ever, have a Marquee that says MAME.

3) If you're going to make a specific game-centric cab, keep it to that game. No aliens game requires so many buttons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think this should be shifted into a poll thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

A build worth of a god!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it looks awful, and for all the effort put into the cab, they then use a lousy LCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. The comments on its reddit post demonstrate this. They range from, and I quote, "a work of art".....to "what brand of duct tape was used to slap this together?"

Watching the clip again, it's really, really not a pretty cab at all.

• Advertisement

Fire pit is the best thing for that abomination

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I could never understand why some folks go to all the effort of building a cab from scratch and then just bolt a pre build arcade stick to the control panel.

Even getting a mate with a hole saw to do the cut outs on a piece of MDF and just transfer the components into it, but no... they just superglue the USB stick they got for a fiver down the car boot sale to the wood instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I heard the famous SEGA arcade in Tokyo is closing down :(

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah for feck sake :(

I was planning a big trip to Japan before the pandemic kicked off which has had go to on indefinite hiatus for obvious enough reasons - looks like I'll never get to see this arcade in person!

Have to wonder where the cabs will end up? Hopefully on the way to Ronnie and not into a skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I went on my honeymoon to Japan a few years back and didn't make it there either and was hoping to plan a visit when my son was a bit older so gutted about that too!

We just ended up wandering in and out of various Taito arcades in Tokyo when we were there. Or anywhere where we saw a Mario Kart cabinet!

I'll be getting another cabinet in 2022 so it would be awesome if one came from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

You should see the rest of that auction

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dav09

I have, it's insane. But that has to be one of the craziest. Am I right in saying that's just a conversion kit released by Nintendo for classic Nintendo cabs to promote the Wreck It Ralph movie? I've seen lots of these for sale for 1/10th of the price lately. I.e. https://www.facebook.com/groups/499649376898165/posts/1449881331874960

Master of the Universe

I'd say they were just scratch built cabinets to promote the film alright.

Master of the Universe

That moment where you realise all of your arcade PCBs take up as much room as an arcade machine - and that's not including all of the cart based arcade games like MVS, PGM etc :eek:

I think I'm going to sell 90% of the PCBs on AO (keep a few sentimental games like Vendetta, Alien Versus Predator, Raiden 1&2) replacing them with MiSTerCades. Have zero idea how they're set up though, think I might have some reading ahead of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You'll probably find the Mister a lot more reliable as well, mount the ones you're keeping in some nice shadow boxes :)

Master of the Universe

Decided to do something this evening I've put off for a month - powering on my two machines!

Always worry they'll run into issues after a move.

SNK cabinet booted up perfectly, all 100%.

Pony starts up, marquee takes a little longer to blink to life, monitor is 100% fine but the game is glitchy and wavy.

Thought Raiden 2 must be borked but after trying a few more games and testing voltage, it's the PSU! 5v is fluctuating all over the place.

Probably the best outcome, cheap fix and means my PCBs aren't all fecked.

• Advertisement

Always a good thing, often just a pot moves on the power supply in transport, no bigger sigh of relief finding it's just a power supply when that's happened me too (especially on rare boards)

Folk's, what are your grail cabinets? If money, maintenance and size wasn't a factor?

Recently bought one of mine, a super cool and super rare one, probably the only one (soon to be) on these shores! Some others that are definitely contenders for 'grail' status for me are definitely an Astro City, Guitar Hero, Initial D, Sega Rally 1, Donkey Kong, NBA Jam, Tempest, most Star Wars games!

Post edited by dav09 on

1.Metallica LE pinball

2.Daytona USA

3.Egret 2(I have an Atomiswave with egret art) would probably settle for another one of them.

I’ll probably pickup no 1 and 3 at some stage but I wouldn’t have space for 2:(

Robotron

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Tron

I'll fix and restore my heap of a machine eventually when I've more time & weather get better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I’d love a Donkey Kong, an Astro and in real dream land a ST:TNG pinball and F-Zero AX.

Speaking of F-Zero AX and dream land, I do love deluxe cabinets. Games like F-Zero, Outrun DLX, R360 I'm sure would be sweet for a lot of people but... all three money, maintenance and size are a major issue haha

Post edited by dav09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

I've too many,but I'm dead curious on what you've bought now!!

"Practical grails" , e29 ,canary, most snk cabs a few of the older taito cabs and always liked the some of the little dagashi cabs, (seem to have got a bit popular overpriced)and centipede, e29 and centipede have been on my list forever.

Ones I'll never own but would love

Sega hotrod 4player,Afterburner deluxe , hotd 1/2 , virtua cop 1/2. Tron, edot, a load of twin racers (exhaust note, ground effects etc ) sit down chase HQ, Popeye, dk

I could go on **** it all games nearly

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Candy cabinet wise, there are so many older impossible to get ones I'd love. Things like a Capcom Status 25, Sega City and a Domy Jr. Really unique designs.

Dedicate cabs, Mortal Kombat 2, Time Crisis 1, Afterburner and Tokyo Wars have always been high on the list.

Advertisement