Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

Power requirements will be determined by what you have in your blast as I mentioned earlier there are different models of psu in these.. Some better than others, eithways cart games will be fine. For cable the original has USB to D type usb for the I/o board but can't see where that would connect to the board linked.. Maybe it comes with its own cables

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Power requirements will be determined by what you have in your blast as I mentioned earlier there are different models of psu in these.. Some better than others, eithways cart games will be fine. For cable the original has USB to D type usb for the I/o board but can't see where that would connect to the board linked.. Maybe it comes with its own cables

http://jammastar.com/gb/jvs-to-jamma/48-jvs-to-jamma-converter.html
    To the right of the VGA connector, USB B connector. USB A connector on the Naomi unit itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Right. Thanks folks.

Looks like I'll need to try to track down either an original Sega 001 loom so that I can get power to the Naomi... and then use that converter as my loom is jamma only.

This is turning out to be far more expensive than I would have thought, lol. It'll be worth it eventually though.

Found the harness here brand new:
    https://www.hklegend.com.hk/?page_no=3.2&lang=0

Seems fairly pricy though. I've chanced my arm over on UKVac to see if anybody over there might have a cheaper loom available. Here's hoping!

You could also try pick up a sun psu they generally go for 40 or 50 quid and put that in the cab for powering the naomi, be cheaper anyways and has adjustable 3.3v or you could wire up a standard pc Atx with a couple of connectors (Remi - arcade Japan on ebay sells these or the whole adapter if you ask him)

Basically this
    https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/atx-2-naomi-power-adapters.5559/

• Advertisement

I think I'll chance my arm in getting a 001 loom because I'm hoping to be able to cold swap between the PC, Tekken Tag and Naomi setups.

With the 001 loom that's make this super simple... which is kinda why I'd be willing to put up with the expense.

Update for anyone that cares: Managed to score a 001 loom with Sega Rev A I/O board for £100 with postage included over on UKVac.

Score! Now all I need is a NetDimm and a cable to power the Pi from the 5v tap on the Naomi and I'm golden! :-)
    Thanks for the help folks!

you can just lop the end off any usb cable and a couple of dupont cables to connect to the 5v pins
    (or just solder the ends on) to the header for power, you got a crossover cable? (not standard ethernet one) I picked up a couple of complete sets from a guy on vac forum, has all the cables/the 2 chips (zero pic & region free bios) the pi and the card fully loaded and ready to go

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/sega-pi-based-naomi-netbooter_topic339794.html

Yeah, I can actually make my own ethernet cables so I was just going to make a short crossover cable from the NetDimm to the Pi.

I'm not gonna bother with the LCD setup and all that stuff, I'll just use one of the images that I found on GitHub that will create a wifi network that I can connect to on the Pi to push the game that way from my phone / laptop / whatever.

I do actually have some dupoint cables here for another project that I haven't started yet so yeah, I should just butcher a USB cable and wire it up that way, good thinking!

I actually have my own eeprom programming kits so I was kinda wondering how easy it'd be to create my own multibios chips and my own zero key. Probably easier to buy but I like a challenge. :P

MrVestek wrote: »
    Yeah, I can actually make my own ethernet cables so I was just going to make a short crossover cable from the NetDimm to the Pi.

I'm not gonna bother with the LCD setup and all that stuff, I'll just use one of the images that I found on GitHub that will create a wifi network that I can connect to on the Pi to push the game that way from my phone / laptop / whatever.

I do actually have some dupoint cables here for another project that I haven't started yet so yeah, I should just butcher a USB cable and wire it up that way, good thinking!

I actually have my own eeprom programming kits so I was kinda wondering how easy it'd be to create my own multibios chips and my own zero key. Probably easier to buy but I like a challenge. :P

I burnt a few bios fine, cant remember but I did have an issue finding the correct file for the zero pic though theres a few floating about and lots of misinformation iirc, I had the web setup going for a while and it works great but the lcd was more convenient for me so i switched over but it does work well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

Update for anyone that cares: Managed to score a 001 loom with Sega Rev A I/O board for £100 with postage included over on UKVac.

Score! Now all I need is a NetDimm and a cable to power the Pi from the 5v tap on the Naomi and I'm golden! :-)
    Thanks for the help folks!

That'll be a dream setup, nicely done :)

Edit - Any Vestek videos planned to show it off?

Inviere wrote: »
    That'll be a dream setup, nicely done :)

Edit - Any Vestek videos planned to show it off?

I suppose I could throw one together!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I popped an image of my PiForce Web setup to someone here who might still have it - I adapted it slightly to allow the web interface hard reset the Naomi between games as some games won't reboot on command on the NetDimm. Required a usb relay and wiring into the Naomi board itself (I think it cut the fan sensor wire and caused the unit to reset).
    Get the setup together with the NetDimm etc. and if that image doesn't pop backup I can see to make it again

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I popped an image of my PiForce Web setup to someone here who might still have it - I adapted it slightly to allow the web interface hard reset the Naomi between games as some games won't reboot on command on the NetDimm. Required a usb relay and wiring into the Naomi board itself (I think it cut the fan sensor wire and caused the unit to reset).
    Get the setup together with the NetDimm etc. and if that image doesn't pop backup I can see to make it again

I appreciate the offer but it's all good!

I already have all of the roms etc as part of my Hyperspin setup so I'll just get the image from the github and transfer the roms over myself.

I know applying your image would make my life easier but honestly... half of the reason I do this kinda stuff is for the challenge of it all! :-)

Iam not sure your hyperspin roms are compatible with real hardware tbh never used hyperspin tbh but there's a specific bin file needed for netbooting, links in the usual places

Iam not sure your hyperspin roms are compatible with real hardware tbh never used hyperspin tbh but there's a specific bin file needed for netbooting, links in the usual places

Well... only one way for me to find out!

If not I'll track them down... no worries! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Mini Egret game list is out :
    https://taito.co.jp/egret2mini/title

• Registered Users Posts: 34,483 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    Mini Egret game list is out :
    https://taito.co.jp/egret2mini/title

Few good shmups on the list and nice to see Elevator Action Returns and Liquid Kids... still not the greatest lineup though.

Hopefully it's easy enough to get some of your own ROMs on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Rayforce is one of my favourite shooters. Definitely a board I'm gonna get if I get a 2nd cabinet for some vertical fun. Unless someone makes a MiSTer F3 core in the mean time!

As for the Egret... I'll probably pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,483 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rayforce is one of my favourite shooters. Definitely a board I'm gonna get if I get a 2nd cabinet for some vertical fun. Unless someone makes a MiSTer F3 core in the mean time!

As for the Egret... I'll probably pass.

Great game that alright, the lock on mechanic is quite fun.

Ive a PCB of the sequel Raystorm which I haven't dug out in years. Looks a bit more dated than Rayforce as it's 3D but still a fun game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Turned on my 2 cyberleads for the first time in a few weeks.

My newest one with Tekken tag just refused to boot....so afger trying with different boards, using the jamma connector instead of the namco ones and thanks to the advice from mozie and Beegee I figured out it was the Tekken tag board. Some IPA on the connectors and the next day booted no problem.

My other cyberlead has a lovely blue screen, haven't even taken off the back to look at it properly yet but I'd take a good guess it's the neck board and something gone.

I hate arcade cabs, but I also love them. It's such a viscous circle

Turned on my 2 cyberleads for the first time in a few weeks.

My newest one with Tekken tag just refused to boot....so afger trying with different boards, using the jamma connector instead of the namco ones and thanks to the advice from mozie and Beegee I figured out it was the Tekken tag board. Some IPA on the connectors and the next day booted no problem.

My other cyberlead has a lovely blue screen, haven't even taken off the back to look at it properly yet but I'd take a good guess it's the neck board and something gone.

I hate arcade cabs, but I also love them. It's such a viscous circle

Ahh, a fellow Tekken Tag lover. Love it!

Do you have the kick harness sorted out for that? If not I know a lad that does the Namco kick harness to CSP1 / 2 converter board that I can point you towards if needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah the cyberlead uses the namco system 246 I'm pretty sure so I don't think I need one.

I've only the 1P hooked up at the moment and kicks are working anyway. My Tekken tag board actually has the jamma edge connector modded too. I haven't tested it out yet but no idea what it does, Tekken tag is 5 button isn't it? 4 attacks and a tag button so wouldn't really work with a mod from the kick harness to the jamma edge.

I need to get the 2P loom for the cab. Haven't found anyone selling one yet during casual looking

Yeah the cyberlead uses the namco system 246 I'm pretty sure so I don't think I need one.

I've only the 1P hooked up at the moment and kicks are working anyway. My Tekken tag board actually has the jamma edge connector modded too. I haven't tested it out yet but no idea what it does, Tekken tag is 5 button isn't it? 4 attacks and a tag button so wouldn't really work with a mod from the kick harness to the jamma edge.

I need to get the 2P loom for the cab. Haven't found anyone selling one yet during casual looking

Not sure. All I know is... I needed an adapter for the Namco kick harness plug to CSP1 so that I could connect it to my blast city.

If there's wiring going from the kick connector edge back to Jamma then somebody has modded the kick buttons back into the jamma harness.

That was also a possibility for me but I didn't want to mess up the board so opted for the adapter instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Speaking of turning on cabs, i turned on my Astro City for the first time in about 16 months.
    Booted up fine, no problems, no updates needed.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/token-dublin-smithfield-closing-risk-20960465

Token looks set to close due to government pushing back in-door dining.

****e. I really hope this place doesn't go under because it's brilliant!

That and I still have loads of tokens that I haven't spent yet. :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/token-dublin-smithfield-closing-risk-20960465

Token looks set to close due to government pushing back in-door dining.

****e. I really hope this place doesn't go under because it's brilliant!

That and I still have loads of tokens that I haven't spent yet. :-P

I use an anycoin in my Cab so it takes the token tokens ;)

I use an anycoin in my Cab so it takes the token tokens ;)

I mean... I could easily 3D print one of those myself... but that's not the point. :-P

Actually while I'm here... considering that the PC / Tekken Tag / Naomi 2 boards won't all fit in the Blast City at the same time... I was thinking of just having different wooden packs that I can just swap in and out.

Does anybody know of anywhere that's reasonably priced that would do custom cuts of some plywood for me?

I've already measured the dimensions of the board already in the cab... I'd litearlly just want two identical boards cut so that I can swap different setups in and out.

I know that I could just head down to woodies or whatever and buy a board and then use a jigsaw to cut them myself but I don't have one... and as I do very little woodworking I don't really want to be buying a jigsaw just for one job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

Actually while I'm here... considering that the PC / Tekken Tag / Naomi 2 boards won't all fit in the Blast City at the same time... I was thinking of just having different wooden packs that I can just swap in and out.

Does anybody know of anywhere that's reasonably priced that would do custom cuts of some plywood for me?

I've already measured the dimensions of the board already in the cab... I'd litearlly just want two identical boards cut so that I can swap different setups in and out.

I know that I could just head down to woodies or whatever and buy a board and then use a jigsaw to cut them myself but I don't have one... and as I do very little woodworking I don't really want to be buying a jigsaw just for one job.

Some of the DIY places will cut to size for you but seems covid has stopped that practice at my local homebase.
    I've used http://www.woodworkers.ie/ in the past for custom sized pieces around the house. Usually very quick to quote and I've never had any issue.

Advertisement