Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My daughter is getting married and her bridesmaid has been called for Jury duty...what's best to do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was called for Jury duty once and sent a letter that I wrote myself telling them I was mentally unwell and wouldn't have the mental capacity to sit through a court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭einn32

Should be fine I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Contact the court clerk and tell them the reason she can't attend and they will excuse her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I got out of Jury duty for attending a wedding.

Seriously, they will have plenty of other people there for jury duty.

They know a bridesmaid cant really get out of a wedding. It will be fine.

Just contact whoever it says to contact and have your wedding invitation if they ask, but they probably wont even ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Is the bridemaid down on your daughters green folder as witness? If so get a copy of it as proof and should be no problem at alll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

OGrumble, you should stick to the legal / HR / grumble threads.....(attempted) humour definitely ain't your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,094 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hmm, yunno with a bit of fine tuning and some comic timing, this could be turned into a joke!

😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Just ask the doctor for a letter saying she’s sick and that’ll be the end of it. My doctor does this for anyone that needs it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It shouldn't be a problem. I was called for jury duty which clashed with a holiday I had booked and had no issue getting out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Depends on the humour the Judge is in. I was selected for a jury about 5 years ago, and during the selection the first three parents that said "mid term next week Judge, I've no one to mind the kids" were fine and were dismissed, but the fourth and firth weren't so lucky because there weren't many jurors left and the Judge's obligation was to fill them. That trial went on for 7 weeks.

My advice would be to shred the letter and never think about it again. The Courts Service have no actual clue where people live, they just send them to last known address from the voters register, when many have moved on and not updated yet. In reality they never hear back from between 30 and 40% of juror summonses and they absolutely do not have the resources to chase those thousands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

I work in the industry and it is really easy to be excused. Just tell her write a letter giving all the details, dates etc. They don't want people serving on juries who would be so anxious to get out of it that they will make up convoluted excuses! I'm sure the letter will suffice. Tell her to get the letter off asap and not to worry about it after that. And to enjoy the wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

As the old phrase goes 'I wouldnt want my fate in court decided by anyone who was too dumb to get out of jury duty'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BBOC

Lisasimpson: she is on that document and I never thought of that so thank you very much for mentioning it.

Sorry my quote doesn't seem to work.

Thanks to everybody else and also for the laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Turn up at the court with a black hood and a noose screaming “GUILTY!!! GUILTY!!!” at everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Something like this maybe?

Advertisement