Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My daughter is getting married and her bridesmaid has been called for Jury duty...what's best to do?

Options
  • 16-09-2021 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello all, as the title says does anybody have any idea how she can get out of this situation, please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

She can try to get out of it but I would be sceptical if attending a wedding even as a bridesmaid (unless perhaps it was her own) would be considered as a valid reason. Probably no harm in trying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

From citizens information:

The County Registrar or the trial judge can excuse you if they are satisfied that there is 'good reason' to do so.

They're only human, I'm sure they'll allow it. Courts service site says to provide proof along with your request.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Doctor's note?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

I have been on 2 jusy duties in the last 6 years...both times the judges allowed people to leave with valid but not really important requests.....The bridesmaid should be ok (and it is also a possibilty she might not get picked anyways) .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Choose another bridesmaid, who isn't so inconveniently encumbered.

Harsh? Yup - but you asked in After Hours.

Try the Legal forum for a more sympathy response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 BBOC

Thanks for your replies. I had mentioned to my daughter that she might not get picked alright but that's a bit late then.

She may be best submitting her reason and see how she gets on unless she knows a doctor well.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's very very easy to get out of jury duty. You might have to lie but who cares.

Letter from work saying your absence will cost other people's jobs

Covid reasons, don't want to be inside with strangers

Full time carer for a family member

She can't do that because everything is set up and she's also her niece.

Thanks for your input anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Back in the day I received a jury duty notice that clashed with a wedding. I sent a copy of my invitation to the relevant address (I may have received this instruction after talking to someone at the relevant department), went to the wedding and the wheels of justice moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Maybe she used the excuse of jury duty to get out of being a bridesmaid at the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭bmc58

What? Get the doctor and herself up for contempt of court! Can't see the doc giving a cert in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Getting out of jury duty is easy. The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Have the wedding ceremony in the courthouse.

Problem solved

Seriously, any half-plausible excuse will get you out of jury duty (work commitments, holiday booked, carer for family member etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Jury summons is delivered by unregistered post. All the bridesmaid has to say is, she didn't get it. Almost half of people notified for duty don't turn up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sy Kick

'Prejudiced against all races'

This is paradoxical. If you equally disdain or disqualify every group then you judge them all equally and fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP , the solution is this thread, print it off and send it to the courts.Maybe throw in an invite for the judge to the afters.

Alternatively , the night before the wedding , burn the court house to the ground.

Obviously , don't print off this thread , if you do a bit of arson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

She should do her civic duty, and fullfill her legal obligation.

Its only a wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Id say the judge will excuse her. They seem fairly sound in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I went back to my old apartment after 1 year of leaving as a resident messaged me on Facebook to say there's a mountain of mail in the hall for me.

Lone behold there was a jury duty letter, I missed it by 7 months. So basically a no show.

3 years later and I've never heard from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

My friend went to his GP to get out of it. Said he had anxiety. Got a note and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A niece? Should be a flower girl then, not a bridesmaid.

(Really disappointed with the quality of after-hours-advice being given so far! Anyone would think this is the place for serious discussions. )

Thank you everybody and for a bit of a laugh also.

Mrs. O Bumble......her niece, my granddaughter is in her twenties so your calculations are all wrong so a bit too old to be a flower girl.

Thanks again everybody....plenty of food for thought here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

i don't think you need to worry - I was called for Jury duty but had a trip booked and so could not go - told them that and no questions asked.. and I am sure that being Bridesmaid beats a trip abroad - I suggest your daughter's bridesmaid submits her reason and you all get on your enjoying the preparations ☺️

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Take out a hit. No defendant = no trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Maybe she is on trial for murder and too embarrassed to say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Tough choice though - either way she'll get to watch some poor unfortunate handed a life sentence

• Advertisement

Just tell them that you arse for a head and a head for an arse.

ItIl confuse the hell out of them that they won't question it for fear of discrimination.

Advertisement