Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M50 thread

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

"The system will begin this autumn with variable speed limits being displayed on overhead gantries, as guidance only, until motorists are familiar with the signs."

That seems like a recipe for disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,428 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

€50 million seems a lot or does that include a Chinook on permanent standby to lift away any cars blocking traffic?

IIRC the gantry and equipment for the original M50 barrier-free toll was over €20 million. If you have to install some gantries, equipment on all the gantries, network from each of the gantries to the back-office and some software to manage the whole thing, you'd easily run up an eye watering bill. Paying people to work on/over the motorway is expensive, road closures are expensive, etc.

I suspect the Chinook would be more cost effective and useful :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I don’t think people realise how much these structures cost. Even a road-sign gantry across a motorway costs about €250k: that’s for nothing except the structure and the signs on it. If you want electronic equipment mounted onto a gantry, you need maintenance access behind it, as well as the expected electrical and data connections, and that greatly increases the size and cost.

As for phasing in the VSL, how hard is it going to be? Run ads on radio/internet for three months up to and a month afterward telling people that the limits will change throughout the day and they should follow the signage. Those signs themselves will display the current speed-limit as a big number with “km/h” written under it, inside a red circle. Anyone who doesn’t grasp what that means needs to hand back their licence.

We swapped from MPH to km/h speed-limits practically overnight in January 2005, with no phase-in period - this is far less of a shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Your point about the miles to kilometres switch is well-made. One of the helpful matters in making the switch was that the Gardaí were clear that people would be fined for breaches of the new speed limits, and that claims of ignorance would not be accepted as an excuse. The news stories that I remember from the time focused heavily on the "be ready, no excuses" aspect, especially the Garda enforcement side.

Isn't there a very real risk in teaching M50 motorists that they can safely ignore the speed limits they see on the gantries if they are lower than 100 km/h? Surely a publicity campaign and an immediate, visible Garda enforcement of new limits would be much more effective in getting the message out that the new speed limits matter and must be obeyed? How many people need to learn what a speed limit sign on a gantry looks like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Surely this will only cause more problems when the speed limits displayed go from "guidance only" to enforced? I mean, I think it more reasonable to claim "well we were told these limits were guidance only, I wasn't aware that they are now the legal limit" than to claim "I saw the numbers with kph displayed on those big signs, I just didn't know what it meant".

This guidance only thing is only going to create more ambiguity and confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Oh they grasp it alright, they just willfully ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Like the UK, without a camera attached to it everyone ignores them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

This is like bus connects. Making a big PR success fanfare out of something that should have existed already. In some other countries it's a days work.

Post edited by crazy 88 on

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Maybe there will be "enforcement" in the form of warnings as opposed to fines during this period. That would seem to be the best way to do this so as to get people used to process. As a regular user of this section of the road I'll watch to see if there are any gardai patrolling when the advisory phase is ongoing.

Even hiding behind "Technical reasons" wouldn't be the worst idea. First maybe month run a pilot with letters going out to people who break the limit and call it proof-of-concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

We’re they turned on today as planned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

I saw them active on Saturday southbound between Jn4 and Jn6.

White squares with 100 in them.

1 over each lane including the auxiliary lane.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What works are underway south bound on the M50? Work in the center island and hard shoulder around Carrickmines.

• Advertisement

They’re not listed on https://www.m50concession.com/planned-road-works/ for some reason. They’re pretty good at responding on Twitter if you ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

They've been ongoing for a number of months at this stage. Seems to be pipe or cable laying in the shoulders and median

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Looks to be a bit more as their installing concrete pillar type structures too, presumably for overhead gantry installation?

Speaking of gantry, the m50 was obstructed for a period today due to a truck's burst tyre being in the middle lane. But the new overhead digital signs only applied a reduce speed limit and not a lane closure. Do the new technology not offer this functionality?

Advertisement