Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

Ta, it was actually backwards I was wondering about the most as I was wondering if you had to have both hands on handlebars at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I had a pretest last week and was told to hold both handlebars pushing both forwards and backwards

Was also told to stop at yield junctions where visibility was poor due to parked cars, walls etc.

I thought they might mark you on stopping at a yield

thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Why would you NOT stop if you don't have full visibility?

Who was the pretest with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Get a pretest, will clarify all these small pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Attached road marking means STOP? (Ignore new tarmac strip)

#brainfreeze

thanks

Oh I will be once I get a date !!! Not taking the chance

Just passed my test in Dun Laoghaire

thrilled!!!

Much thanks to Paul Jenkins. IBT September and a pretest last week.

• Advertisement

Top stuff 👍

When you add a motorcycle category to licence does your licence renew for another 10 years for all licence categories e.g. car?

thanks

Yep, its a full re-issue of the licence, so the 10 years restart

I'm having trouble finding an instructor I texts to a few but never heard back although I'll admit that was a few weeks ago, finally to get a contract with work so now I'm under a little bit more pressure to get my my own transport sorted.

I'd appreciate any recommendations I'm willing to travel anywhere in the country and stay overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Unfortunately, IBT schools and bike instructers are fast disappearing up and down the country. The RSA website is not very helpful in this regard! Almost everyone will have a bit of trouble finding someone to take them on these days. I am very sure a few other posters will have a better idea than me on who might be able to help. Also, You might wish to say what country you are in as that will help.

It might be useful if someone could start a discussion on IBT schools currently running and taking people on.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Negative. If you have c1 or d1 categories or higher they are only valid for 5 years and you will require a medical to keep them on your updated licence.

I have C1. So will I get another 5 years on the C1 if I add a motorcycle category? (With the required medical).

then another 10 years on the bike and car categories?

thanks

Thats pretty much how it works. Cant renew online if a medical is required. Can however remove the C1 etc when renewing and do it online. It will still be on your old licence. You can add it back anytime in the next ten years.

Sorry posted this on my own thread ever since the so-called "Upgrade" this site appears to be pretty dead. If anyone is looking for a more active alternative to ask questions about all things motorbike in Ireland then I highly recommend the following sub on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoIRELAND

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Hit the nail on the head, since the update I've been inactive here. I'm already active on the moto Ireland reddit sub but it's 99% insurance questions, hopefully things will pick up on here again soon, far more interesting than repeatedly telling people to call an insurance company for a quote or explaining the license categories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You can renew online . You just need to scan/photograph your medical and upload it along with your renewal application. Also I don't think you can remove a Category with the NDLS online system. Even if you can, the old licence is now invalid so the C1 no longer exists as a current Category (obviously the entitlement to add it back on remains for 10 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭slystallone

Anyone know what earphones to bring on the day that will fit the testers walkie talkie?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

For my IBT (He said the testers use the same type) I used standard ones (without microphone) & only one of the earpieces will work

The RSA website appears to be offline these last few days. Have been trying to access it but no luck. Not sure what's on there but I have seen and heard nothing about downtime or otherwise.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steven1987

Hi guys just a few questions...

I held a provisional licence back in 2007 for motorbikes I went on and start driving a car passed my full test.

I have applied for my bike licence again online and received it last week

Currently all bike cats are ticked wondering do I have to do the IBT training as I previously had a bike before (years ago)

I get it I'm starting out again I'm just unsure tbh ... I am also looking for a motorbike I was thinking about a 125cc scooter but if ibt has to be done I might aswel go in deep.

Another question

If I pass A test can I drive scooters A2 ?

Thanks everyone

Steven

I will answer your last question first, yes once you pass your A test you can ride any bike you want provided you can insure it.

If you previously had a full bike licence and I don't see why you would need to do any additional training if all the boxes for motorbikes are ticked then you are pretty much free too start riding any bike that you want. Although if you wanted to clarify the situation you would be best off contacting the RSA.

Did you find the earphone stayed in properly or was slipping out? Curious as I have only ever used the earphones with the ear clip for my lessons.

Would it be worth posting if you got a test recently how long the wait was from booking to test

i.e general location -booked -test etc (or still waiting) I'm more curious how long the general wait is

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

Yea I found them ok. The one with the clip was killing my ear after an hour and wasn't any more secure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

After many months and having to travel half way across the country... I now have the theory test done and learner permit in hand... IBT is booked with Dalton, my instructor is Mark.

Any suggestions for how I should progress... I used to ride bikes 20 years ago. I'll pick it up fairly quickly I believe. But should I book in for a test ASAP, or should I hang back and build some roadcraft? How many lessons are generally recommended? And what is the best test centre in Dublin to use? I'm in the Dun Laoghaire area, but happy to travel. BTW, I'll be renting a bike for the test.

Am now very confused...

I'm going for an A license, but what does the below mean for me? Drove bikes 20 years ago on a provisional...

"A motorcyclist applying for a first-time learner permit is restricted to riding motorcycles with an engine power output not more than 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not more than 0.16 kW/kg. Such restriction applies for the duration of all learner permits and for the first two years after taking out a full driving licence in category A.”

I am not 100% sure where the above quotation came from, is it from the IBT school or the RSA. Either way, my understanding is if you are a person under 25 then some restrictions do come into it. As you seem to be over this age I do not see any issues. I do know that biking these days is full of doublespeak and contradictions! it seems to be the way it's going. a good chat with the bike school guy will clear it all up. I myself would not pay too much attention to this. If however, you had an old provisional licence for a good number of years say more than 5 then it may have something to do with the matter. as you are starting from the beginning again after a long break from riding I really do not see any issues. Best of luck

Dan

Dan.

Thanks. That bit if from the sticky at the beginning of this thread. It threw me, but I'm guessing it may be outdated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

It is. There is no power restriction if you are aged 25 or older which given your comment about riding 20 years ago makes me think you are!

Make sure your learner permit has A class on it and you tell your IBT instructor you want to obtain an A IBT cert so you can ride anything. It will involve doing the road riding portion of the IBT on an A class bike (likely a Bandit or MT07 or similar). Can then buy and ride anything you like to practice and build up experience on and then use the school bike for the test (as you indicated) if your own bike doesn't meet A specs.

One thing you should know is there is a six month wait from first learner permit before you can sit a test although your past experience might exempt you from that (would need to contact RSA to confirm). Also since there is no test capacity anywhere when you try to book a test - you just go on a wait list and then ask for priority if you are an essential worker - it could easily be six months before you get a test date anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Hi folks,

Have test next week and was just looking at reg cert for bike (cbr650f)

KW is fine as it's down as 64kw and 649cc

There is no mention of the bike weight,both sections that mention weight are just down as 55555

Anyone have this issue? How do you prove the weight of the bike?

Thanks

Rob

What is involved in a regular scheduled Motorcycle service and how much should I be expecting to pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Haven't a clue if it will be an issue its usually the power rating is the issue, I'd like to tell you no it won't. We all know though testers make up their own rules on the day.

Oil, filter, air filter

Do it yourself its easy as, you only need a few hand tools.

Had a look through the Owners manual today and it lists the vehicle specification and the weight so I will bring that just in case they ask for it,

Cheers

• Advertisement

Anyone on the waiting list in Dun Laoghaire? Anyone got any invitations to do the test recently? I haven't seen a mail since July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

You could chance contacting the main dealer for your bike and ask for its certificate of conformity as proof of the specs. For me it was Danfay (Yamaha) - I just asked nicely in an email and got the cert with VIN on it back a couple of days later. Debating whether its worth sending of the reg cert to Shannon to have it updated or just present the cert of conformity on the day of the test whenever that eventually is 🙄been on the waiting list a little while but my IBT is about to expire so would be goosed if I was called in the next couple of weeks.

Had the test yesterday and passed!

All they checked was the Power rating on the Vehicle reg cert, didn't ask anything about the weight.

High Viz and set of jvc Earphones available if anyone wants them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Were the Jvc headphones loud / clear enough?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Nice one!

I got called for bikesafe this weekend so looking forward to that

Yep they were great, I bought them in Mr Price! I also bought another cheaper white pair and tried both with just my phone and the JVC ones were a lot louder.

Even when we plugged them into the testers radio we had to turn them down a bit.

I done mine in Wexford

Cheers :-) I'm a little deaf after 20 years in an engineering company ( tinnitus ) and age has also taken a toll too so a little worried that I might not be able to hear the instruction too well

thanks for the reply

• Advertisement
Advertisement