Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D Higgins insists he is President of Ireland, refuses to commemorate partition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wheres the "Republic of Irleand" its a random fact he posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He 100% shouldn't go

I'm enjoying all the media usuals getting all harumphy about it

The indo here not getting the result they were expecting either in their poll.. Who puts No as first option in a Yes/No poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Correct and right, and was discussed in depth on Newstalk this morning, it's fantastic that the likes of Bruton et al are getting their knickers in a twist about this.

These lads would have us back in the commonwealth, honouring the black and tans if they had their way.

The president of Ireland is bang on to decline this, especially when they provocatively gave him an incorrect title.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's embarrassing that we have to have discussion every single year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He has created more animosity by refusing the invitation instead of accepting.

Poor judgment on his part, I think he should have gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Of course he should not attend. Good on him for showing a bit of backbone. Absolutely ridiculous thing to expect our president to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

"Animosity" from whom exactly pad?

The only animosity I'm seeing is from the likes of the DUP creationist loons and the likes of "rejoin the commonwealth" Bruton.

2 shiny shïtes should not be wasted on either. Basically, get up the yard with your nonsense please pad.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

When I spotted the headline on the BBC site and the picture of Jeff beside it was clear as day the DUP were just being dicks as usual. Higgins would eviscerate anyone in the DUP who would want to debate this but they won't, they'll take the potshot and he'll rebuke and the response will either be silence or some ham fisted attempt at making Higgins look bad, which will backfire as per usual.

• Advertisement

Incorrect. The full title is President of the Republic of Ireland & Environs.

Of course he should not attend! I can't believe anyone actually thinks he should.

As for posters not knowing the name of their own country 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

He would slaughter them in any debate, that's for sure. Realistically he'd have declined to attend anyway, but there's no question that the invitation was a very blatant attempt at a political insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No he isn’t. His title is president of Ireland, which when he visited the UK a couple of years ago and gave a speech in Westminster hall, he was referred to as president of Ireland by then speaker of the House of Commons and whatever else the British civil service know a thing or two about diplomatic protocol and people’s titles. It should be the bare minimum to get that persons name right when you invite someone you invite to an event. When queen Elizabeth visited here, we addressed her by her correct title and we do it for any other head of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He is president of Ireland. The country of Ireland that he is president of does not contain northern ireland. I'm sure you understand that and are simply trolling as I don't believe you are that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

OK, so he is the president of Ireland but not the 6 counties....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm not sure what the controversy is about this. Would you attend a birthday party of thieves who robbed your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

He is the President of the country of Ireland which does not include the 6 counties but is still called Ireland. He is not president of the island and no one has claimed he is.

Do you think the country of Ireland includes northern Ireland?

• Advertisement

Some have, indeed previously he hinted that he was president for the whole Island of Ireland.

This will go down as another spanner in the works for a UI. You know when you are on a bad one when the Alliance Party and sympathetic sections of the British media like the Guardian are scratching their heads at this move. To say he is not going because he was called by his wrong title is both juvenile and pathetic tbh.

However, if you are like me and want to kick the can of a UI down the road of a few decades, this will do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

He should be going and not be so divisive.....hes well able to hop on the plane to other countries such as Italy and getting involved in religious and political ceremonies... no such high standards when theres a nice trip with lots of t&s involved....he likes goign abroad and spouting shite poetry from rich irish men long gone...

Northern has been thrown under a bus by a crap eu-uk deal that isnt serving the country well...we can argue that thats uks problem etc...but thats not the point...ireland should be showin our closest neighbours that we are willing to meet and work together...and most important of all...we are there to help and support Norhtern ireland people...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

This naming thing. Dev et al f*cked up big time IMO by claiming Ireland as the name of the state. I can't really see the point of view of that if they didn't, they'd be leaving it to unionists to claim, and by using it as the name of the state, they gave and continue to give great succour to partitionists and staters to claim that the North is a different country. The name should not have been used as the name of only part of the country theretofore known as Ireland. But anyway I suppose there's no squirting that milk back up the cow's udders now.

IMO Ireland the island is a country, the same as Germany was a country while it was partitioned, and Korea is a country too. Poland during the times it was occupied and partitioned was also a country. And ofc the 26 county state is also a country and also named Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Anyone who claims he is the president of the island is wrong. End of. But I think you must have misinterpreted.

His correct title is the President of Ireland and the only spanner here is the one thrown by the DUP by not using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 R.odders999

No way should you have an O in your username......definite soup taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fair play to him, right decision.

Plus Jeffrey is p#ssed off...bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

Souper.

Christ, its 2021. Ireland, Irish, bla bla.

Just a matter of geography where you were born. We are on a spinning planet hurtling through space and this is what occupies your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

That'd be the Alliance Party, who's leader at the time, David Ford refused to attend any commemorations of Irish independence, referring to it as a, 'commemoration of violence?

I'd suggest the APNI check their own hypocrisy before trying to assert any moral high ground on the matter, and I say this as someone with a great deal of respect for the party in general.

Out of curiosity, Mark....is there a single topic relating to the politics of these islands on which you won't take the hardline Ulster Loyalist position on when it's an option? Your faux attempts to act like you can't distinguish between Ireland as a state and Ireland as an island just reads like another attempt to drag down any discussion such as this into the dirt of strawman arguments that no one made.

The fact of the matter is the state we live in is called Ireland when speaking English, this does not include the six counties of NI. The term Republic of Ireland is a description, not the name of the state. The title of the President of this state (again, in English) is the President of Ireland. Anyone with a modicum of diplomacy about them would refer to a state official by their correct title.

Your fake inability to differentiate between the island and the state to set up a strawman argument that anyone is claiming Higgins is the President for all 32 counties is ridiculous....and still doesn't change the fact that his title is President of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭trashcan

Oh no. I was so looking forward to rejoining the commonwealth !

Advertisement