Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He will win the primary easily enough, but unsure about an election.

The GOP will hope he steps aside but he won't , he needs the attention and corporate media who are hugely reliant on Trump to prop up their dying mediums will boost him with huge coverage as they did in 2016. I seen the abysmal Ric Wilson celebrate on twitter when linking to a story about him running. Why was that?

The "Anti Trump" online presence relies on him for fundraising , exposure etc. It is utterly insane that these people will say " Trump is the greatest threat to democracy in the last 50 years" but then keep him relevant and goad him into running when ultimately due to the American way of voting he will always have a sizable chance of winning.

The GOP will get online because they are terrified of him, he raises loads of money and bar the obnoxiousness online he governs exactly like how they want him to.

I do think DeSantis would have won easily enough in 2024, but he obviously won't run when Trump announces and he is playing to much to the Trump base in last few months when previously he seemed to be much more focused.

A Trump v Biden part 2 is hell, but its what the USA deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

SNIP. No insults.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,402 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

News coming out that Melanias chief of staff has written a book about her four years working for the Trump administration.

"She saw another side of the Trumps — in the residence — that most staffers never got to see."

Grisham's former West Wing colleague tells Swan: "There isn’t enough water on earth to contain the fire she could set to all of Trump world, including parts like the first lady’s orbit, which not many people are in a position to illuminate."

Could be an interesting read, Will she shed new light on how bad Trump was or will it just be the stuff we already know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The lookie-likey double was a really mild story in terms of the whole circus, but it was just so very weird. So obvious. So weird. I'm half expecting the real story to be that Melania sent the double, and yer man never noticed at all rather than him having the idea to order a lookalike himself.

I'd expect Melania to be as equally toxic a personality as he is, but that's not much of a reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We're not too far away from the point where he will effectively shut down investigation in to him through announcing that he is running as anyone who goes after him then will be accused of being politically motivated.

Of course it shouldn't happen this way, that is not to say it won't. I wouldn't be surprised either if he has some deal with senior GOP to keep in the running and maybe step aside then on the basis that they will again try to protect him from prosecution. It works for the GOP as it keeps the 74M on side for now and doesn't expose a frontrunner too early.

One thing we know Trump isn't doing is doing any sort of work to advocate for his supporters or America in general. He isn't visiting areas affected by Covid, or storms or anything to express concern and support. Nor is he encouraging his followers to protect themselves by getting vaccinated. He hinted at that at one of his rallies and they booed the suggestion so he probably won't go there again. He is doing what he always did, thinking and acting only for himself. To think that people look at that and think he cares about the average American is one of the mysteries of our time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I doubt she’ll shed much light on the dynamic that hasn’t already been said which while the things in the book may be bad, they’ll just be another layer on top of the **** show we knew it was.

Those quotes are all well and good but they were hardy going to sell the book as a flop were they ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've rarely had any sympathy for Melania throughout the Trump presidency; maybe, maybe after hearing the story of floods of tears upon her learning Trump had actually won the election - but otherwise? She has conducted herself in the manner of the trophy wife, a misanthropic type that if you saw it in a TV drama, you'd snark at the obvious tropes and clichés of sullen youth married to a tycoon fogey. Even if she didn't want the role, she never once conducted herself as the better person. By all accounts, we have since learned that Michelle Obama positively hated her days as the poltician's wife - but she always behaved with dignity and class Melania never approached.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭amandstu

I read it as Biden and Trump. (Harris didn't occur to me)

"idiots" is a weak expression as Trump is worse than an idiot and Biden is a very impressive man but with the flaws we all have (and a desperately difficult situation we have to wish him-and us, luck with).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I've seen a headline from TMZ on a facebook page and, given its wording, reckon it's an exaggeration of some quote from another source. Is TMZ a good source of news or a site built on exaggerated speculation?

The headline is to the effect that, when it come to a rally on Sept 18th in Washington by protestors supporting those being investigated and prosecuted, CPD officers are [for want of a better word] EXPECTED to be going to ask if they can use lethal force if necessary. Officials have allegedly told TMZ it'll be an "all hands on deck" occasion for CPD.

AP has reported that the fencing will be going back up in DC before the rally, which sounds to me to be a sensible precaution. I'm thinking that if the TMZ quote is correct, it might be an official leak intended to cool the ardour of any protestors on the 18th, to let them know there will be a degree of official preparedness for trouble that day unlike on the 06 Jan.

I would call Jan6 an attempted coup d'etat.That should not be disregarded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Voter suppression measures are in progress for Republican controlled swing states. Plus the Republican controlled Arizona senate is funding the biased and sham 2020 recount in support of the Trump Big Lie. Such actions anticipate a Trump 2024 run.

Watch the California 14 September 2021 governor recall election funded by the national and state GOPs. If the Republicans succeed, it will anticipate a Republican controlled USA congress after the 2022 midterms. As well as an almost guaranteed Trump run in 2024.

Don Snr and Jnr will be busy tomorrow on the 20th anniversary of 9/11 providing commentary on a pay-for-view boxing match between Evander Holyfield vs. Vitor Belfort fight in Hollywood Florida while the real president will be in NYC at the anniversary ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,279 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

TMZ wouldn't be my choice for a reliable news source. Celebrity gossip type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,402 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Donald Trump speaking at the Moonies conference, One dangerous cult leader praising another dangerous cult leader

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is what the former attorney to Trump was up to last night.

Note, the publisher of this Tweet, the pro-Trump, 'the election was stolen' New York Post.

And another thing to note from the party who tells people to respect the military above all else, this is what he said about currently active General Milley.

During a rant at an annual Sept. 11 dinner held at Cipriani, Giuliani wondered of Gen. Mark Milley, “How’s that guy a general?” while imagining physically assaulting the decorated joint Chiefs of Staff chairman because of his advice to close Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan.

“I wanted to grab his stars and shove it down his throat and say, ‘It’s 400 miles from China, a–hole! China is going to be our enemy for the next 40 years! You have an airbase 400 miles from them and you’re giving it up? Idiot!” the Republican former mayor fumed at the Italian restaurant in Manhattan. “What the hell is wrong with you?”

That sound's similar to Trump's "I want to come down and punch that guy in the face" at one of his rallies while security hustled the guy out of the room safely away from Trump to avoid a physical fight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Below standard posts removed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Stephen King the book author has hit the nail on the head in the latest tweet of his.

Suits

Suit Trumps doctrine as well to a t.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's permeating everything.

Larry Elder , who's running against Newsom in the California Gubernatorial recall election launched a website shilling for money yesterday claiming that he'd lost the election due to confirmed fraud.

This despite the fact that the Election isn't over - Today is the actual voting day , and not a single vote has been looked at or counted yet.

In the GOP minds , the only reason Larry Elder who is a thoroughly awful individual could lose in California - A state where registered Democrats outnumber Republicans 2:1 and that Trump lost by 30 points+ is via Fraud.

A recent survey in California showed that 60% of California Republicans didn't trust elections and believed that Trump only lost because of Electoral fraud.

Those numbers are fairly consistent across the US in that 50%+ of all Republicans believe that Trump won and that the Elections were rigged.

Genuinely hard to see how those people are brought back toward reality.

The rally around Trump amongst sections of the GOP party seems to be de rigueur. The Log Cabin Republicans & Liberty Education Forum are going to hold their Annual Spirit of Lincoln Gala dinner at Trumps Mar-A-Lago resort [which he is apparently calling his home] in Nov and will presenting Melania Trump an award FROM helping children reach their full potential TO championing a more inclusive Republican Party. The notice from the Log Cabin about the event also states that Don Trump is also expected to give a speech at the event. Charles Moran, chair of the Log Cabin is reported to have said about Melania that her vocal support for Log Cabin Republicans is a signal to Republicans everywhere that it is possible to simultaneously be conservative and support equality under the law for all Americans. For the unknowledged, The Log Cabin group is a Gay group within the GOP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was wondering after I initially saw the former mayor of New York City’s speech whether there was open bar because he was even less coherent than he’s normally been, and it seems he’s confirmed he drank at the event which was meant to be a solemn event for 9/11. I love the quotes what he denies he was drunk, or that he’s an alcoholic, by using the word functioning with the word alcoholic, and probably that proves his point.

****,the Woodward book is out.

They should start selling little Milley statues that people can offer up votive offerings to.

What would make for good reading [IMO] would be listening to the response from the Chinese side of the conversation [if it was recorded] to Gen Milleys advance warning to them. It would be worrying for the Chinese to get such a call in the first place from Gen Milley "my president is flying off the handle because he lost the election and WE think you should know WE will be stopping any order from him taking precipitative actions". For the chairman of JCS to advise the other world player that Trump may go rogue is really bad. We'll have to see how the GOP in DC try to rebuff or destroy the image of their selected one going rogue on the world.

Interesting that Vindman is calling for Milley's resignation if the reports of the call to China are accurate. He has cred.

Vindman may have more than being a US true blue loyalist on his mind when he made the statement about Milley apparently supplanting a loyalty to any chain of command structure with that of loyalty to the US [on a greater good basis]. Vindman [according to Trump] had loyalties to Ukraine over those to the US [as represented by Trump] which he served a commissioned military officer like Milley. Vindman doesn't exactly have a love affair wit Russia [ala Putin] so it may conceivably have been on his mind that China may not have been the only nation-party that Milley contacted re his worries about possible angry Trump moves. I'd look at the China-N/Korea situation in respect of Trumps previous statements about N/Korea [as it's what is could be called a client-state of China]. It would be sensible if Milley also spoke to his opposite number in Russia to allay any Kremlin fears about Trumps stability, vis a vie the ongoing Russia/Ukraine situation, and allay any fears Russia might feel from its monitoring of the existing [then] sitting US president and his statements. Trump was simply a Wild Card back then with an unknown potential.

Cant find the tool to allow me edit and add to my last above. Vindman may not have been aware of the Trump Admin behind the scenes deal being struck with the Taliban as he was struck out of the military loop by Trump and denied relative military info on which to make an accurate and definitive assessment of proper JCS actions needed to secure US national and international interests above those of POTUS flailing about in anger in the Oval Office at the election result. I wrote above about Vindma's reaction to what's in the book on Gen Milleys reported actions [which may be true] in an advance response to a possible Trump tantrum.

Bringing Vindmans POSSIBLE concerns about Ukraine up to date [vis a vie Russia] Belarussia and Russia are currently hold large wargames supposedly in joint concerns about the stability of Ukraine. My apologies to you and other readers for my two-part response to the ongoing Trump campaign. The Russia /Belorussia wargames are mentioned on the Defence Forces Members and Veterans F/B page "Putin oversees vast wargames with Belarus".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just briefly off topic to say the edit option is the three little dots beside the post number on your own posts (you can't see it on other people's posts). You can edit for 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well I'm pretty sure Melania isn't looking for your sympathy or would find any use for it even if you offered it to her.

You might be aware Melania is a supermodel and when she married Trump he wasn't even a politician but a businessman. So it's highly unlikely she was even interested in being a political First Lady or ever felt she was capable of doing anything much more than giving speeches written by others as required. It's not like supermodels tend to come of a background of journalism or politics or other or high profile careers, like the likes of Michele Obama who being a bright well educated successful woman in her own right would already have the skills to cope with being the First Lady and be able to offer some original input of her own, rather than just looking like a 'sullen youth married to a tycoon fogey' as you so unnecessarily disparagingly put it and since you did it's unlikely you would ever have any sympathy for her in the first place.

Your post reminds me, what happened to all these suggestions that Melania was going to divorce Donald Trump after all the negative media attention he got since becoming president- as if she didn't know who he was before he became president? I found those suggestions obnoxious because it was clear some people would enjoy to see it happen which is the break up of a family with young kids. Imagine getting satisfaction from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Detritus70

What do you think attracted Melania to Trump, his looks or his personality?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Advertisement