Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Furthermore, a party's presence at the scene does not necessarily imply guilt of murder.

Peculiar then, that people can have such strong opinions regarding the guilt of someone for whom there is no evidence of their presence at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sekiro

If you've followed the case closely then you already know that there is no provable solution yet and everything is speculation to some degree. That's why people are still discussing it to this day.

You seem to know more than most so why not tell the rest of us what you think of the Gardai actions and behaviour in relation to this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

There have been lots of cases solved where no trace of the killer was at the scene, or even like the Graham Dwyer case where it sounds like they aren't entirely sure where the exact scene of the murder is. Bodies get moved, remains are found years later in shallow graves etc.

They had a shitload of text messages and he was in a relationship with her tho.

Not exactly comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sekiro

So were Bailey's "confessions" made before or after he was named as a suspect? Before or after he was arrested?

Anyone?

• Advertisement

After. And he was singled out as the only suspect within days.

All garda activity after at the very most, the first 2 weeks, was geared towards convicting him.

A new, unbiased investigation which also focuses on garda activity and Farrells never ending lies is desperately needed if the truth is ever going to come to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

"12.5.6 The first matter of concern was the view taken of a statement made by a Detective Garda Gamma, who was involved in interviewing Ms Jules Thomas during her detention on 10 February 1997. In a handwritten statement dated 11 February 1997, the Detective Garda gave an account of the matters discussed during the interview. He also offered his own view regarding the truthfulness of Ms Thomas’ evidence on that occasion, stating:

“In my opinion she was trying to recollect to the best of her knowledge her movements and those of Ian over that weekend.”

12.5.7 On the morning of 23 June 1997, Detective Sergeant Alpha telephoned another member of the investigation team, Detective Garda Delta. They discussed the general difficulties facing the Detective Sergeant whilst writing the report. Detective Sergeant Alpha then appears to have raised the subject of the statement made by Detective Garda Gamma regarding Ms Thomas in February 1997, as the following extract shows: 

Detective Sergeant Alpha: Okay, yeah. I need to talk to you about, em, your colleague’s statement of evidence. I need him to...but I’ll talk to you first...I just want...

Detective Garda Delta: Yeah.

Detective Sergeant Alpha: I need to talk about it anyway.

Detective Garda Delta: The most honest man.

Detective Sergeant Alpha: Yeah.

Detective Garda Delta: (laughs)

Detective Sergeant Alpha: (laughs) He has comments in it like “I knew she was making every effort to tell me the truth.” Do you follow?

Detective Garda Delta: Yes.

Detective Sergeant Alpha: I don’t need them, for starters.

Detective Garda Delta: (laughs)

Detective Sergeant Alpha: **** it, she wasn’t anyway.

12.5.8 At around 5 pm, in a further telephone conversation between the same officers, Detective Sergeant Alpha stated: 

“Ah **** it, it’s awful. When I see your friend then, like writing them stupid **** statements, like I mean... what man... “I believe” he says “that she was doing her best to recall the night in question and being truthful.”

He continued: 

*“Yes, that statement has to get **** chopped up anyway.”*

12.5.9 Further on in the same conversation, having discussed other, unrelated matters, the following exchange takes place: 

Detective Sergeant Alpha: And you can start building up your co-partner, if you’re able to do that, or maybe I should just do it meself to –

Detective Garda Delta: Well, the thing about it is this ... it will have to be explained to him like, that that is the way – I mean surely he can see it in hindsight now that Jules is very devious.

Detective Sergeant Alpha: That statement is very damaging to have in there – I mean it’s not – it’s not – it doesn’t do himself any good anyway.

Detective Garda Delta: No.

12.5.10 Later that evening at around 10.30 pm, Detective Sergeant Alpha made a telephone call requesting to speak to Detective Garda Gamma “about the statements” and was informed that he was not there, to which the Detective Sergeant replied “Ah, I’ll get him so in a day or two.” Detective Sergeant Alpha was then put on to Detective Garda Delta and they had a further conversation about Detective Garda Gamma’s statement, in the course of which Detective Sergeant Alpha said “Like ... ifI’m trying to make a play out of these things, to have him, **** then, turn around and say she wastelling me the truth.” 

12.5.11 In a recorded conversation on 25 June 1997 with an unidentified member of An Garda 

Síochána, Detective Sergeant Alpha again referred to his difficulties with the positive opinion of Ms Thomas expressed by Detective Garda Gamma in his statement of 11 

February 1997. He said: 

“But you see there are statements here that I have to go back to fill it in, I have to talk to them, one man put in here: ‘I believe she was attempting to tell me the truth and trying to recall’ - you know, yer man interviewing her like, when the evidence clearly shows and everything we were doing that she is anything but, she has been out there working, conniving, twisting.” 

12.5.12 The other participant responded by stating, “That is not **** evidence.” Detective Sergeant Alpha then said: “I know but it is in the statement, it has to be taken **** out.”

12.5.13 The other participant in the call then discussed how best to approach the Garda who had made the problematic statement and the contents of his statement: 

“Then you have to go, to handle these fellas they get indignant, you have to be careful with them, and so you better get it taken out without hurting feelings type of thing.”

12.5.14 The Commission could not pursue the matter further with Detective Sergeant Alpha, who is deceased, or with Detective Garda Gamma, who was unable to provide evidence due to illness. It is possible that the matter was discussed between the two officers at some stage, but, as there are no recorded calls available for the period 26 June-21 September 1997, this cannot be established one way or the other.

12.5.15 The Commission notes that, in other recorded telephone conversations around this time, 

Detective Sergeant Alpha, who was engaged in preparing the investigation report for the DPP, expressed some concerns about the overall strength of the case being made against Mr Bailey as it then stood. In a telephone call on 17 June 1997, he described it as “a very 50/50 case against your man and I’m trying to make something of it, you see”. He went on to state

"Detective Garda Delta: Well, the thing about it is this ... it will have to be explained to him like, that that is the way – I mean surely he can see it in hindsight now that Jules is very devious.

Detective Sergeant Alpha: That statement is very damaging to have in there – I mean it’s not – it’s not – it doesn’t do himself any good anyway.

Detective Garda Delta: No."

It seems to be that they could be saying that the guard saying Jules Thomas was being honest in his opinion would be damaging his future career.

Also worthy of note that the vast majority of the tapes from Bandon Garda Station were destroyed in a flood and only a very small sample remained.

Lord knows what they were saying on the destroyed ones.

I thought it was worth pointing out when some people seemed to think that because the perpetrator left no forensic evidence the case can't be solved.

• Advertisement

You can quote this as many times as you want, it doesn't change the fact that the file the gardai sent to the DPP (years before the tapes were discovered) still had the statement they were complaining about in it. Where is the actual corruption?

Listening back to the West Cork podcast they mention the guard on the scene that morning Martin Malone stated that Ian had turned up in a long dark overcoat.

Pretty brazen move to murder someone hours earlier and turn up to the crime scene later wearing the same coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I've never considered that the murder might have happened in the morning after she's had breakfast. Loaf or bread could mean anything, but coffee or tea would be a good indication, after all one doesn't drink that before going to bed. However nothing in the kitchen would seem to indicate she had eaten breakfast, at least as I know.

However If the murder has taken place in the morning, it would still have to have been dark. I would suspect that daylight would only have come at 9 am at that day of December? It would have to have been around 7 or 8am at the latest that morning. I simply can't imagine the murderer bashing her head in in broad daylight.

If you can't see from those statements a willingness from the guards to act corruptly then you're either incredibly biased or incredibly stupid.

That's not true Thompsonette. Bailey was arrested on Feb. 10th 1997.

Bill Fuller said their conversation in which Bailey appeared to give an account of how the murder happened was in late January 1997.

Malachi Reed got a lift from Ian Bailey on Feb. 4th, he said Ian told him 'Everything was going fine until I went up there with a rock and bashed her f* brains in'.

Helen Callanan rang him while he was still reporting on the case for the Sunday Tribune, this was before he was arrested.

But in the Graham Dwyer case evidence later turned up which could forensically link him to his victim.

A legal challenge is currently being heard about the admissibility of that evidence but it doesn't change the fact that Graham Dwyer was not charged until after evidence linking him to the victim was found.

It doesn't matter what date they actually arrested him, they decided long before that and its clear from the early statements (go and find them yourself please, I don't have time to do other people's homework)

Regarding Marie Farrell's boyfriend Chris Farrell

"In the recorded conversation of 18 April 1997, in the context of discussing the likelihood of Mr C making a formal complaint of assault against Mr A in a few days’ time, Detective Garda Delta asked Garda Epsilon: ‘There would be no point in A making an old statement first, I suppose.”

Garda Epsilon’s response was: “Sure we can always pre-date it if it comes to it, like, you know.”

Detective Garda Delta said: “Exactly, yeah.” 

Garda Epsilon said: “No problem at all.”

Having devious or corrupt thoughts never put anyone in jail though, did they? You can sue people for thinking about doing something wrong. What corrupt actions do you know about?

• Advertisement

The question was whether the 'confessions' were before or after he was arrested or named as a suspect, the examples I gave were all before he was arrested or named as a suspect. You said they were after. Clearly you are in the wrong here.

It seemed fair game when Ian Baileys diaries and drawings were allowed to be used in court by Judge Moran and subsequently used to tarnish Bailey.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/journals-reveal-the-inner-thoughts-of-a-sex-obsessed-violent-heavy-drinker-26772427.html

"BIZARRE, rambling and sensational, Ian Bailey's personal diaries proved a bombshell at his high-profile 2003 libel case against eight newspapers.

There had been strenuous objections to the diaries being entered into evidence at Cork Circuit Civil Court but Judge Patrick Moran granted the newspapers, from Britain and Ireland, permission to use them in their defence.

The revelations from their pages dominated headlines for weeks to come and cast Bailey in an astonishing light."

Who knows anything about corrupt acts in this case? I surely don't know anything as fact, I've said several times I don't know who murdered sophie and it could have been Bailey, but I can look at what's publicly available about the case and draw my own conclusions to whether guards were corrupt in the case or not, regardless of who's the murderer.

When did I ever say they did? I merely provided people with reading material, whatever conclusion you draw from it is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I saw a Guardian quote that 'neighbours heard wild cries in the night' but put it down to foxes. May go against ab early morning death?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Posters looking for hard evidence on here of corruption are the same ones willing to condemn Bailey without any hard evidence. A little bit contradictory don't ya think?

Hard to get hard evidence of corruption when the body tasked with investigating corruption (GSOC), dont have any real powers and rely on the co-operation of gards (absolute joke of an organisation). Hard also to find corruption when the Judge ruling on the case was heavily compromised and handing out strange decisions in their favor. I think anyone without any bias knows there was serious corruption in this case and this was conveniently covered up so it would be difficult to prove. Sure they are gards, they know exactly what it takes to cover their tracks. The is more shameful because gards are given a privileged position in our society, they are trusted to uphold the law and be honest at the very least. You can maybe understand corruption in countries like Mexico where they are paid a pittance but here they are paid quite handsomely & looked after very well. Arrogance is what it smacks of, a group who feel they are above law and need to be brought back down to earth with a bang.

They are & have been treating the Irish public like fools in this case, lost gate here, lost a bottle of wine there, bit of bribery here, bit of sculdery there, sure what harm, Bailey probably did it. Lazy, half arsed & corrupt & that doesnt even cover half of it.

Which 'neighbours', other than Alfie + Shirley the next nearest 'neighbours' were a mile away.

I asked where there was actual evidence of corruption and you replied with that excerpt, it seems clear that that was what you were implying.

"12.5.39 It needs to be said at this point that, in the event, it was found to be unnecessary to take any statement from Mr A as Garda Epsilon was able to persuade Mr C not to pursue his assault complaint. Thus the question of pre-dating such a statement or inserting into it a possibly untrue allegation that Mr C threw the first punch never arose.

What is disturbing, however, is that suggestions could be made between two members of An Garda Síochána, without objection, that evidence could be slanted or falsified in these ways."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Besides Alfie + Shirley, there is another house the opposite direction. It's not a mile, but maybe half a mile away. I believe that's where the visually impaired neighbour lived, who apparently heard a car at night. There is another house, more to the entrance of the "main road" on the left side, but I don't know if it's a mile away? It's possibly a bit more than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement