Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Simon Harris, was the Icing on the cake, a gift that just keeps giving. I think he'll be avoiding journalists microphones for a while which will be probably more Traumatic for him than being caught rapid. More to come on the angle of the story 😏

"Coalition in chaos amid Simon Harris leak claims and Fianna Fáil TD’s resignation - Independent.ie" https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/coalition-in-chaos-amid-simon-harris-leak-claims-and-fianna-fail-tds-resignation-40855760.html

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

How long till he is in Ikea purchasing his own back bench?

Post edited by skimpydoo on

Might be wise if he looks in the Back Bone section also, I believe there's a Political Sale on at the moment, quite a crowd outside this morning 😁😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

From "the paper of record"

The facts of the saga received scant attention, being of little use to both sides. But that is not what Wednesday night was about. It was about – after a period in which political division was minimised because of Covid – redrawing the dividing lines of politics. It was about Sinn Féin sharpening its blade – the elites versus the people, the insiders versus the outsiders – and the Coalition toughening up to resist its swipes, seeking to draw focus towards the issues they say people care about: health, housing, quality of life. There was no doubt who emerged happiest: the Government is bruised, and as the new Dáil term begins, Sinn Féin has given the Coalition – with its assistance – a good kicking.

No doubt about it, the coalition got a good bloody nose last night. How many days before the next debacle?

Will they be able to stop themselves from creating another clusterfcuk before Christmas? I wouldn't bet against it. 3 seperate party's actively working against each other in a never ending bid at undermining each other (and themselves) the Leo Varadkar backstab of Coveney by releasing the texts Coveney said he himself deleted was something else. You'd have to wonder if the shoe was on the other foot how the petulant child Leo would have reacted.

This is supposedly a 3 way coalition.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It would have been interesting with a free vote for his party. If the government did collapse after it then he could point to FG being the ones responsible. It's highly unlikely he'll be very be Taoiseach again either way but he's damaged his own party something terrible this past few months.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

I suspect Harris will be assisting in this endeavour soon 😏

MM showed his true colours over this past few weeks. Stood firmly behind am opposition TD who was caught bang to rights giving a buddy a nice cushy job and deleting government communications from his phone.

Looks at how differently MM reacted when he sacked Cowen

The Taoiseach said:"He accepted what he did was absolutely wrong and he apologised to all members. I accepted that his remorse was genuine and I accepted his apology."The challenges facing this government are unprecedented. It is in everyone's interest that the government not be distracted in any way."

Yet, we are to believe this nonsense hasn't distracted government over the past few weeks, with the lies, coverups, misleading statements that needed "clarifications", phone hacking, destroying government correspondence against the law.

Coveney survived but what damage to the coalition partners will receive is only going to be known at the next election.

• Administrators Posts: 53,541 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ok, but that is still not the point. The government were getting a bloody nose no matter what, the difference now is the vote means it's time to move on.

SF were never winning that vote in a million years and as soon as Mary-Lou started making her demands Coveney was never losing his job. For all this talk of MM looking weak (and IMHO he's a very weak Taoiseach in a party of fairly mediocre politicians), he'd look miniscule had he sacked Coveney after she gave him 24 hours.

If SF really wanted Coveney gone they played this wrong. If it was never about getting rid of Coveney, and always about playing politics, then some decisions do start to make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

And how else do Fine Gael suggest we achieve below because Martin did nothing for 50 days...

Fine Gael New Politics document 2011

Fine Gael is convinced that public confidence in government can be restored – but only if there is real tangible change in the political system. The New Politics is designed to tackle head-on the major weaknesses in our archaic system of government, so that the huge policy mistakes of the last few years will not be repeated. It will:

End “Crony Government” in Ireland by opening up government and giving the Dáil, for the first time in its history, real power to hold ministers and public bodies to account;

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

That's assuming the Sinn Fein plan was to see Coveney resign, look at their seat number increase the last 10years +, they're playing the long game here.

Assuming Varadkar is still leader in a new election, that in itself needs you to assume he won't be charged in the criminal investigation he's currently the subject of. Charged or not charged - he still did it, and admitted so. Definitely to be used against him at every opportunity in an election campaign.

Deputy leader (assuming he's still there as such) caught red-handed at cronyism, and deleting the evidence.

FF endorsed all this.

Greens a non entity, hardly worth discussing tbh.

Last nights confidence motion succeeded, but it was absolute proof politics here is broken, this government is rotten. It will take the next election to see how much contempt the electorate will show them.

• Advertisement

Getting Coveney would have been a nice bonus for them but they now have the government parties on record defending cronyism, lies, and possible breaches of the law. It was a classic opposition party move and it worked.

The deletion of messages is another interesting one. The rules around government communications are clear, albeit need some further clarification for the luddites in the Dail. I'd be interested to know how advice from the cyber security team absolves them of the rules and laws around data retion of government communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Coveny isnt an opposition TD, hes a member of MMs Government and Cabinet. Im not saying what he did was right but trying to twist the reality to suit your own agenda and bias is a bit pathetic.

He most certainly isn't a member of MM party, ergo, he's an opposition TD. Frankly, the way the parties have behaved indicates that it is anything but MM government and cabinet.

Anyway, there's no need for the personal comments, I'm just giving my opinion. Would be nice to have a conversation on it without the accusations of personal bias or me being pathetic. I certainly haven't taken that approach with you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The Green misogynist will fill the papers next,

What was arguably even more cleaver was Matt Carthy using Dail privilege to mention Harris and the FG sting.

Does that now mean, Martin has to act on that?

Harris will have to request that to be removed from the record, or let it sit as a stain on his character?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Must ministers of a department follow the same rules as civil servants in the department, specifically circulars relating to data handling, codes of conduct, and official secrets? Or are there different rules for non-CS in a department?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭backwards_man

Simon Harris : "this was a clear misuse of Dáil privilege and it is untrue”. That is a very daring statement for Harris to make if it indeed was him. Of all the people involved in this debacle he is the one that is going to come out of this the worst potentially. I just don't see how he can survive this politically considering it is an offense to leak cabinet info. He better hope there is no evidence lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im wondering what was Harris' angle in all this? Like he is supposed to be a Coveney ally and you would have thought that he would be loyal on the basis that doing so would land him a plum Ministry when Coveney does take over from Varadkar, something like Justice or Foreign Affairs that would then position him well to eventually take over from Coveney himself.

It seems bizarre that Harris instead leaked information from Cabinet that has now wounded Coveney badly. I know Harris is ambitious but he is getting a bit ahead of himself if he thinks he can take out Coveney first and then Varadkar to land the top job for himself. If that is his line of thinking he is delusional and he must have been watching too much Game of Thrones.

Either way what has come out of this whole mess is Harris trying to shaft Coveney by leaking details of the Zappone appointment and then Varadkar shafting Coveney by releasing the texts that Coveney handily deleted. FG is at war with itself, trust in the party has to be at an all time low. No doubt factions are going to seek revenge for whats happened so the events of the last few weeks are set to rumble on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Did it though? As I said it was great political theatre and the intrigue was entertaining for political hacks but generally what happens in the chamber stays in the chamber.

When it comes to election time, assuming that this doesn't happen soon, this episode will be a footnote in the campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Looks like Darragh O'Brien misleading the Dail is next on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭Floppybits

People keep saying it will be forgotten at election time but it won't be all any of the other parties have to do in debates is point to FFG supporting cronyism and use any number of examples such as this one or the Varadkar leaking confidential documents. This all just gives parties ammunition to use against FFG in the debates.

Bad enough Colm Brophy attempting "to put others" under the bus, he's now suggesting it's up to the Taoiseach to investigate leaks, I somehow recall that being suggested recently on another matter.

Harris can of course request the Dail Record be corrected, that ain't going to happen as it will open up a can of worms. His next excuse (sorry move) will be intriguing, perhaps we might her from the named Junior minister named who attempted a sting operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you think politics is about sloganeering and playing to the mob, then you are happy with that analysis.

However, if you are interested in solving problems, yesterday's histrionics from the opposition was pointless. At the end of the day, the date of the general election hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Jobs for the boys/girls. It's all about keeping the gravy train going. Martin is just doing what politicians have being doing for yonks in this country.

Matt Carthy being grilled on RTÉ now. He’s got NO evidence to support his claim of Simon Harris leaking a story about Zappones appointment. Sinn Fein doing what they do best. Blacken people’s good character without a shred of evidence. Well Done.

You insisting he is an opposition TD is a blatant show of a bias agenda. He's part of the same Government and a member of his cabinet look up the definition and tell me how that makes him an opponent or member of the opposition.

Well, he's certainly not acting like a member of government or cabinet with these shenanigans.

And what can does it say about the rude and abrasive manner of your posts towards me? Do you treat everyone who is civil towards you in the same manner or just people who happen to disagree with you?

Im just pointing out bias when i see it, trying to hide it and pretend it doesn't exist doesn't earn you any respect.

• Advertisement

You seem to be confused here. I'm not looking for your or anyone else's respect. A bit of common decency wouldn't go astray though. No need to be calling people pathetic or biased.

Advertisement