Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

• 27-07-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭

What in the blue blazes is going on with this sinecure?

First off, we have a very capable and professional diplomatic service that someone could step into this job if it is a foreign policy priority. The remit of this is so wishy-washy as well - Special Envoy for Freedom of Speech? Are we being serious here? What's she going to do day-to-day? Wag her finger at the Chinese Ambassador to the UN?

Secondly, Zappone took off to the US as soon as she lost her seat. She's no longer resident in Ireland, and she pops up again to take a job that was blatantly carved out for her and wasn't advertised.

Special envoy my backside. Coming to a Michelin Star restaurant near the East River soon...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its a big title for a made up job.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Freedom of Speech?

Zappone was front and centre of the "don't mention the jihad" media campaign concerning what Ibrahim Halawa wasn't and was doing/ involved with when he got arrested in Egypt. Freedom of speech my hole.

I wasn't aware that she had returned to the US. Given her leftist credentials I presume she temporarily gave her home to her local council/ AHB to rent to a family at an affordable rate rather than taking 2500 per month for it on the private market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Whoopsie daisy doodles, the Teesh and many even in FG don't like this one bit. I have my suspicions on whose bright idea this was, but won't speculate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Words escape me, what is going on here, the Title of the position kind of says it all, I see reports the Taoiseach was blind sided by the proposed appointment and internal rifts within FG stirring over this bizzare decision.

I've no personal dislike of the lady but is Simon Coveney loosing the plot, the Greens typically tight lipped and devoid of an opinion that might upset the cosy coalition.

The country on its knee's and Coveney appoints a person with Zero diplomatic skills to a makey up and bizzare position at the UN, it's Just extraordinary.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Don't think it was Coveney's idea. He ultimately rubber-stamped it so he has to carry the can, but it didn't come from him.

• Advertisement

Who exactly is running this circus and rubber stamping this?

Mickeal martin is claiming he didnt know,she was being appointed......if true,looks like someone tried sneak a handy job for a mate in during all the newscycle/hype about pubs reopening,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This is the kind of thing FG used to criticise FF for.

I can see FF getting mileage out of this.

What an own goal.

Made up Job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Very dodgy. Wonder if was even a politicians idea or a suggestion (that should have failed an obvious "does this look dodgy" test) from someone within a Department, maybe worked with her in the previous Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There seems to be confusion, deliberate or otherwise about this appointment and who sanctioned it so I stand corrected, was just assuming it was Coveney's decision. I see Pascal was sent out to justify it (Badly), normally he's quite clever in avoiding taking blame for silly decisions. Still the whole affair is beyond comprehension.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Aside from the shenanigans going on with such a role being created and apparently awarded to someone without advertisement, interview or due process, this event shows the drop off in traffic on this site over the last few weeks.

Even a month ago, this news would probably have had 200+ posts on the first day it emerged, more if it broke in the morning and here we are with less than ten posts at least 8 hours after it first broke.

On the topic itself, it is such an own goal, I suspect it is like what the Government in the UK did last week in releasing various pieces of 'unpleasant' news before heading off on summer holiday. When is the Dail shutting down for the summer? This week is it? They're probably hoping it will have died off by the time they come back in September.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What is the salary for said made up role?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mikethecop

free money for another criminally incompetent Irish politician , nothing new there , i wish it was

when i think about where some of my tax goes it makes me very uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

It's in the article, 13-15k before tax, so more like 6-8k per year

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Its a silly title for a made up job.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Expenses are not wages, so for the job the wage is 8k max

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Crony virus

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I know that.....no doubt she will find the longest route around to maximise her expenses....

She got approx 16k extra at least tax free previously for travel and expenses....despite being 22km (not 25km) from Leinster house

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

She moved back to Seattle and helped on the Biden campaign. Think she splits her time between there and New York now.

Imagine the expenses now...

• Advertisement

That's a problem across the boards not just with TD's but with councillors. A number of TD's done the same during the pandemic while living in Dublin and not travelling to the Dail at all.

Really they need to implement a proper system to resolve the issues as it seems not just TD's are on the payroll but entire families are been paid with our tax money

In this situation we can only comment on the wages which she can get.

You can just comment on her wages if you like...but I can comment on the rest if I want.

It sounds like a pointless role...and though the wages are small, the expenses won't be is my point

Of course you can discuss them but expenses are just to cover her costs, they are not in place to make a profit.

The wages for the role itself are 13-15k before tax. Based on the description released of the role so far it does sound pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Might as well be Special Envoy for Unicorn shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

do you peasants really expect her to work on the tills in Dunnes?

Come on now....you and I both know her expenses are for more than just to "cover her costs"....let's not play silly games on this. You already admitted that the system is being exploited, and she has done so in the past and will do so again imo

Exactly, in your opinion. You are not only accusing but convicting someone of expenses abuse and they haven't even started the job.

I am sure plenty of politicians don't see the expenses system as an extra wage, I am also sure plenty see it as that. The government should introduce a system to stop it.

The average wage in Dunnes Stores according to Glassdoor is 28k, according to pay-scale it is 35k. She isn't even earning half of that in this role.

As I posted, the description of the role would suggest it is pointless but at least post something relevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No skin in the game but tbh to vilify someone for returning to their home country after the loss of their partner of 30 plus years. Perhaps they wanted to go be with family and see if they could start a new life.

The job I know nothing of but it standard fare at this point for ex politicians to thread paths into representative areas like the UN.

Advertisement