Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Here it is... it got mixed reactions I must admit 😀

Edit. Just copped it's Joseph taking the pic!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

DvB that's brilliant! I love it.. I can imagine it may turn a few heads alright!

yeah, one or two of the god squad took offence. One women told me it was offensive and I should be ashamed of myself... I put on a startled look and turned away chuckling...each to their own & all that good stuff.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Brilliant.

I'm as religious as the next person and this doesn't offend me in any way shape or form!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Lovely few mins this morning catching up with the posts and seeing lots about presents and baking! Yay! 😀 I got a delivery this morning from George & Milly of a "Learn to Stitch" kit for the eldest and a pair of Bosco socks for Mr. CL 😊 so that's me really started now. I do have a few small bits got but I'm on a roll now 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I find it can be the small bits and pieces that can often take the most time/stress, and you don't notice the cost creeping up... it's great to have a good start made in Sep/Oct. 🙂

I LOVE THAT. 😁😁

Are their jumpers wooly, or like a sweater?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

It's not worth arguing with someone over a jumper that's for sure so you'd probably be wasting your breath pointing out that Christmas is older than Christianity and they highjacked it 😜

As you said though, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just back from the weekly shop and Dunnes had plenty of Christmas goodies. I had to resist the Lindor section! I'm not a big fan of their chocolate but there was something very tempting about their display 😁 I noticed what I think were metal tins of Jelly Babies...will get a proper look next time 😉

Anyone hear if Smyths will be doing their sale this year? It's normally around the end of September/start of October. Elf 1 wants a flicker & Elf 2 needs a new bike so would be nice to save a bit on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I'm hoping for that smyths sale too! I have my online basket nearly ready so I can just go in and work through that..

They're wooly. Not as in pure wool itchy scratch wool, but like a standard jumper from Dunnes or suchlike.

To be fair it takes a lot to offend me, and I generally try to respect other peoples opinions and beliefs so I didn't want to make a song & dance over it or inflame the situation so just let it go... she was elderly enough and there was nothing to be gained by rising to her challenge... anyway, it was Christmas eve (IIRC) and I was in great form so even the god squad weren't gonna rock my boat 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

I really must try to start picking up little bits.

Elf 1 wants a smart watch so I have him researching. His birthday is also December so 8f he picks a more expensive one he'll be getting socks for the b'day 😁

Elf 2 has a birthday 2 weeks before elf 1 and is in need of a new bike (uses it to get to school) and a new phone so that's his pressies sorted.

Elf 3 has no idea what he wants and his birthday is 2 weeks after christmas day. He's also my last believer (I think, he's nearly 10 so I dontbreally know) so I have to put a bit of effort in.

And then there's the OH!

The little bits definitely get harder the older they get. I've bought loads over the past few years that just goes untouched. They don't get a load of sugary junk food during the year so their stockings are usually padded with their favourite treats, find the likes if home bargains or BM up north perfect for this.

Of course I need to actually wander round the shops to spot things for them.

Spot on re: the last couple of paragraphs. We like to pick our two (who turn 11 in Jan) a few bits on top of their main presents, but each year they are getting more difficult to buy for and most of the stuff bought lies untouched or is used briefly & discarded, never to be used again. This year, now that they're aware of the Santa situation we've told them we don't want to get them stuff they wont use so whilst we will have a few small surprises & treats we will be looking for a steer in the right direction from them to avoid getting them stuff that turns to clutter before they're back in school.

Just a note to watch out for prices going up when the sale is on!

Is a bug bearer of mine, when the kids ask for something and then it's not played with after St.Stephens Day.

Elf 3 is actually the hardest to buy for. She has all the hand me down toys (including an older sister) so doesn't 'need' anything. It's always a challenge to come up with something big for them :(

I don't notice Smyths doing that so much, Argos are divils for it though, especially when they have their 3 for 2 sale! So much so that I stopped even bothering with them.

I'm the same for Elf3....we've plenty to keep her occupied...we really need to do a toy clear out....even though we did one over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I'm not fully ready to dig into this forum yet this year, but I find myself coming back more and more...

Your always welcome here, best bunch on boards are here.

By the way, most of us are here 365 days a year! 😄

A couple of people said to me however might just have been a specific item they wanted etc. I'm not great at tracking prices, where is cheaper etc, I usually go with the easiest option (unless a really big purchases obviously).

The toy room is next on the hit list once the kitchen is done. OH is eyeing up a new sofa and storage boxes etc with a good de-clutter thrown in for good measure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

An email just came in saying Newbridge Silver wear had their 2021 stock online.

https://www.newbridgesilverware.com/en/Christmas-Collection-2021/cc-166.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It certainly is!

Holidays are coming......holidays are coming................have that tune in my head these days for some reason 😀

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Don't mind me, I'm just checking something.

Half way through September already 😮

Tomorrow is a big day on the countdown for me. 😊

I also know that the day after tomorrow is an even bigger day for some of you!😁

Yeah, double digit day is my personal milestone day in the countdown. At day 100 though you'll hear a few mentions on the radio which is always a sign we're rapidly approaching the most wonderful time of the year.

Yea, tomorrow will get a lot of public noise however Friday is our day 😀

Might stick on 1 or 2 tunes to mark day 99!!

I like your thinking. 'White Christmas' would hit the spot!

• Advertisement

My big day used to be 100... I had a little snowman blackboard that I'd bring down from the attic and the countdown would begin.

The last couple of years, however, I've started from 99 as I have a little countdown Santa with blocks, and he can only start from 99 because there's only 2 blocks! 😂

Advertisement