Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Because of the miserable year of it last year we put up the tree for the first time ever in November and it will be going up this year on the last weekend of November again this year.

Even the wife loved how it brightened up the place earlier than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭DvB

It was this forum here that led to us getting into the habit of putting up our decorations in November too, we always left it until the first saturday of December, but as the kids got older & started to look forward to the late late toy show we started to put them up in time for that. We did miss one year when we were getting work done to the house as we were getting furniture delivered the following morning so sat on the living room floor with cushions & blankets to watch it, and put them up the next day after the new furniure arrived. So its become our traditional decorating day and unless something unexpected happens to change that we'll probably stick to it now.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We get a real tree as our main tree so have to be a little more careful on when we put it up as don't want it looking all wilted before New Year! The last few years we have started the decoration end of November and done the main tree last around first week of December.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My local Dunnes has their Christmas stock in. Even tried a Cadbury pud. Spoiler alert they’re amazing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ooooooh, I must search for one. 😁

• Advertisement

Ditto. Will be back in dunnes in blanch on Saturday so will have my eyes peeled!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Me too 😂 thinking about my breakfast out at Dunnes already on Saturday the joys of being a new mam

So true. I usually get about 10/15 uninterrupted mins first thing in the morning with a coffee. One of my favorite parts of the day.

Especially after COVID we’ve all been locked away for so long

• Advertisement

Afternoon everyone how is everyone ?

any plans for the weekend yet?

very muggy out there today…

I was chatting to my neighbour earlier she was on her way home from the weekly shop she had a good few tubs of sweets, she has started the Christmas shop she informed me she has all her fizzy drinks in, She says she wants to be organised

she said to me don’t hold back on anything I want for the baby for Christmas or in general as with truck driver shortages and Brexit?? Are any of you thinking like that ?

I'm not panicking (yet) but anything important I want online, I'll definitely be ordering by November!

Great, if work wasn't so busy and it wasn't a million degrees in the attic/office :(

Elf1's birthday party Sunday so mentally preparing myself for 25 hyper 7 year olds!!

We usually try to order/buy stuff as early as we can, certainly presents for the kids so just do the same this year. Always start to panic if all presents are done by early/mid December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've been travelling round Ireland, and finally spent the weekend in the West. It has been so warm, so humid!

And then just yesterday morning, I stood outside and sensed a tiny whiff of cool, crisp air; it was still very warm all day, but that touch of cool air was like the earliest fingertip of Autumn and brought to mind such things as blazing fires, a comforting electric blanket, lights in the house, and Christmas on the horizon.

I usually don't like autumn very much but this was so enticing.

Yes the muggy weather is mad I find I don’t know what to be cooking for dinner it is so warm

Happy Birthday to Elf1 my mind is is going straight to all the gorgeous sweets at a 7 year olds party 😋

According to the daily updates on school pick up, the boys are looking forward to the bouncy castle and the girls the face painting 😂

Love the innocence of kids.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This years addition to the Lego Winter Village has been announced:

Will be ordering this on release date. I don't have all the sets, nor do I have the space to have all of them on display at Christmas, but I might try get a pic of a few of them together at least. Should get some light bricks also to illuminate the insides.

Ooooooh, I bet they look great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Oh that is cool. My kids are starting to get into lego in a big way so might be something to start a little family tradition!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Yup heard there are going to shortages on popular electrics so I am presuming PS5, XBOX, Switch etc, Ordered 2 electric scooters already as I know there hard to get come Christmas and this year could be even worse. Was speaking to the courier who delivered them and he had heard there will be shortages this year aswell. So might be worth shopping early if possible, especially for electronics and stuff if you know what the big man is bringing in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hmm OH is not big into Christmas or decorating but Lego could change all of that 😛

I see causey farm have announced that their traditional Christmas experience is back for 2021 with bookings opening on Friday 1st October.

Normality!!!!

Oh and this day next week... double digits on the countdown... so hold on folks, its going to get bumpy!!

Christmas Island website to go live mid Sept with booking from end of Sept :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Is Causey Farm worth it? It seems a bit on the £££ side....would be nearly 100euro for my family 😲

We've been twice and loved it, in fact we had hoped to go again last Christmas (as our last ever Santa experience) but obviously couldn't due to the pandemic. We have just the 2 kids so it didn't seem that pricey for us (hands up I cant remember what it cost previously) as it was in keeping with the other Santa experiences we'd gone to beforehand. It mightn't be everyone's cup of tea but we enjoyed both visits immensely.

Still hoping the kids are up for going again this year despite being on the verge of turning 11 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

We did Causey too, with 3 kids. Great evening and we all enjoyed it very much. I was asking our youngest if he'd like to do a Santa experience (expecting this to be our last as he'll be 10 in Jan) and he said "nah" ☹

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Roll on the 22nd Oct marking our 'unofficial Freedom Day' and really giving an indication that this will be a Christmas of old. Remember the dark days of October/November last year when we went back into level 5 and we all knew deep down it would be a different Christmas. Looks a lot better this year

Heading to Birmingham in 2 weeks to see Genesis live and cant wait. Seeing The Offspring in the 3Arena in November and sir Elton John on the 3rd Dec which will be magical but sadly he doesn't do his Christmas songs live anymore

Heading over to Birmingham ourselves a few days before Christmas to see the twang in their hometown Christmas gig... been before and its a cracking gig, really looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

We took our annual trip to the M50 Christmas Shop today and had a good look around and made up a plan for a couple of buys later in the year.

I walked around with a smile on my face the whole time and if you get a chance I urge you guys to try get there and have a good look round.

The owner is very friendly and chatty (he might be one of us 😉😃) and he said there is a big load of new stuff coming in about 3 to 4 weeks and he also said maybe because of Covid he sold nearly everything last Christmas.

I agreed with him saying Christmas decorations went up earlier last year and there was plenty of houses decorated on the outside last year as well.

In fact if I remember right we had plenty of chats on here about decorating the outside of the house last year? 😊

Advertisement