Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kin - RTE & AMC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have always felt he was playing the same role, with a sparmy smirk. Impressive set of shows alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Only a small thing but it's stuff like this that annoys me. At the start of the show the character is being picked up from Mountjoy by his brother and brought to the house party in and around Lansdowne Road but for some reason we witness a shot of them driving through the port tunnel?? Was this guy a Dublin taxi driver in a former life?

That aside really unbelievable characters and bang average acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ceanndána

I didn't have high hopes but so far Kin is so boring! People getting in and out of cars. Talking out of the side of the mouth, please Aidan Gillen you did that well as John Boy in Love/Hate but the wannabe respectable drug dealer in this latest series falls flat. Just something very unbelievable about the whole thing, it's very stilted... maybe it'll get better or maybe one RTE crime drama series is enough? Birdie as a doting maternal figure, ugh. Coz drug dealers are just Mammies making sure everyone gets the dinner. 🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Fair enough, it's all subjective. You've also got The Dark Knight Rises, Peaky Blinders, Love/Hate, Sing Street, Bohemian Rhapsody and the upcoming Mayor of Kingstown. The guy keeps getting hired. I guess successful Irish actors helps young actors here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe they needed to make a pit stop somewhere near East Wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Speaking of Sing Street, at least three of its cast are in Kin: Aidan Gillen, Maria Doyle Kennedy and Ben Carolan (the young band manager in Sing Street), who played the shooter last night.

Yeah all great movies/TV. Even in Sing Street he played the smug Architect (in fairness an understandable part of that role as he was separating from his wife), am I wrong to think Maria Doyle Kennedy's character in KIN is his wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really thought it was Rob Mcelhenney playing Jimmy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ben Carolan -well recognised. Was trying to place him.

His sister going by that family tree earlier in the thread. The scriptwriters haven't made it easy for us. Maybe every series should start with a wedding (Godfather, Deerhunter) so you can quickly suss out the relationships?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Quite a few of the cast have been in tv dramas of one sort or another. Aiden Gillen was mentioned already. Others include:

Maria Doyle Kennedy: The Tudors, Downtown Abbey, Queer as Folk, Striking Out (drama on RTE), Call the Midwife and Outlander, amongst others.

Emmett J. Scanlan: Hollyoaks, Peaky Blinders, The Fall, The Clinic (drama on RTE), No Offence and The Deceived - again that's not all of them.

Charlie Cox : Lewis (one episode - I did not recognoise him without the beard!), Boardwalk Empire, Downtown Abbey, Daredevil (as previously mentioned), The Defenders, Moby Dick and Judge John Deed (one episode).

Sam Keeley: Misfits, Jack Taylor, Raw (drama on RTE), Dublin Murders (drama on RTE), 68 Whiskey and The English Game.

Ciaran Hinds: Game of Thrones, Political Animals, Above Suspicion (and its offshoots), Prime Suspect 3, The Mahabharata, Cold Lazarus and Ivanhoe, and plenty more besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What is D4 about them ?

They don't Speak with D4 accents for one thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

If I had a complaint it was like being thrown into the middle of a series after missing a few episodes .....too much guess work as to whose who, and the house yer man was moving back into 'next door' was all a bit mysterious ......more guessing as to what the fuk went on, I presume that was a bullet hole in the wall and was linked to why he was in prison?? who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hmm, not overly excited by this (so far), watched it yesterday on RTE Player.

It Kind has a feel of an upmarket Fairly **** (sorry, fair city) , if such a thing is possible.

What's with the Dublin 4 look, just looks and feels all wrong. Aiden Gillen looking like a School career counselor very strange. Very hard to take any of the characters seriously.

Disappointed but perhaps it will improve.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

i enjoyed it. Does anyone know where exactly the balcony with the view of Landsdowne is?

I think the fact they live in D4 is putting that poster off. He doesn't realise that its meant to imply that they are doing exceptionally well from the drugs trade and so have upgraded to a D4 McMansion off Merrion Road. The size of the place shown on screen wouldn't leave you much change from 5 Million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Is it normal for a "drug user" living in a shed....to have an iron??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Whatched the first episode last night. Got a good balance of intrigue and action. I am certainly hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Enjoyed episode 2 this morning so I will go the whole 8 for sure.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Alot going on in that episode, not least of all with Frankie boy 😄

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

He reminded me of the actor Joe Absolom (used to be in Eastenders, was more recently in The Bay)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jaysus, that episode blew me sideways. Still enjoying it so far.

Some of the cast on Late Late show tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I really didn't see that coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: Strong performances out of Charlie Cox, Clare Dunne and Aidan Gillen.

Amanda becoming a real driving force for the current story. Maybe this season could be subtitled "Caolan Moore has to die".

That scene at the end was strong

between Jimmy and Mike. Real sense of different emotion from Jimmy (passion maybe) and Mike (embracing what he has to do). Big sacrifice from Mike if it means losing access to his daughter although signs that maybe she'll make her way to him instead.

Ciarán Hinds makes a great Caesar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought first episode was ok...

Clare Dunne really is a terrific actress with the right material (she blew me away in herself) but not given much to do so far.

Plus Charlie Cox struggling a bit with the accent, will probably still watch episode 2

Advertisement