Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Intel shortlists site in Galway for major plant

Options

Comments

10,000 jobs lol

Probably throwing in construction plus spin off jobs multiplier.

I imagine transport would form part of any planning- I wonder how it would be dealt with.

The railway line and motorway is nearby/adjacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where exactly is the Defence firing range in Oranmore?

Intel employ big numbers in fairness. (unlike data centers)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

You're not wrong but even Lexilip has only 5,000. The article says this will dwarf Lexilip so maybe I'll have to eat my words

It's this block of land here.

It used to be a British army Air strip once upon a time afaik.

"It used to be a British army Air strip once upon a time afaik"

More inane trivia - the Pavilion ("The Hanger") dance hall which was in Salthill Park came from there. Guess how it got its nickname ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If you walk into the unused IDA business park, look over the fence on the left.

You will see a lane leading from the main road, alongside the IDA site, and continuing on.

AFAIK, that lane is the access to the firing range.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Where do 10,000 employees are supposed to live? You can barely find anything for rent / buy right now in Oranmore / Galway. I am assuming that a lot of jobs will be in the Fabs itself so no remote work for them although I am sure some can be done remotely for other tasks.

Let's not even get started with the extra traffic.

In my opinion there is just not enough infrastructure / housing available for this amount of employees and I don't see that changing for many years.

Lastly, someone will boycott/protest the plant for whatever reason anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

There will be a lot of international competition looking for this investment, I cant see Galway getting it but they are offering a big state owned site because of how the IDA screwed up when they tried to CPO the farmer next door to the Leixlip factory.

Not strictly related but there's a great comment in the IT yesterday from a local councillor.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/social-housing-estate-in-galway-village-blocked-by-councillors-1.4671900

"The housing crisis is leaving Galway with choices to make, says Social Democrats councillor Owen Hanley, with four-storey buildings becoming more common inside the city’s boundaries, but “not mega-storey” buildings."

FOUR STORIES LADS FOUR STORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Would be a massive boost for Galway were it to go ahead - 10k jobs would include massive amounts of construction though. 5k in Leixlip includes a huge amount of non-fabrication roles. Seeing as there are already design centres in Leixlip and Shannon, unlikely that kind of work would move to Galway - most likely just fabrication work (which is still a lot of highly skilled employment)

Would only exacerbate tradesmen shortages in the region

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You could say the same about Leixlip. Where do 5000 employees live in the sleepy town of Leixlip?

For Galway, many of the people that will be employed will already be living in Galway or surrounding areas. Where I live, many of the people living near me commute into Galway for work each day(or used to at least). Oranmore is very close to Loughrea, Athenry, and even a commute from Athlone or Limerick is plausible at both being around the hour mark.

As for traffic, it won't be 10,000 all going into work at the one time, it'll be a quarter of that per shift. I'd expect a shuttle bus going from the train station at shift change too.

When I worked in Intel, the shift rotation was 3 days on 4 days off, 4 days on 3 days off. Three of the guys on my team lived in scotland, When their "weekend" came, they went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gaming_needs90

From my years in Intel, it's hard to describe how big an effect this would have. Intel has had a massive effect on Ireland, never mind Leixlip. It is exactly the type of cutting-edge manufacturing that we want here. The beauty is that the majority of Intel employees either will already be highly educated or will go further into education through Intel, which is great for the people of the region. I have been to many fabs around the world and the areas they are in have all boomed from their arrival. Also, it would push up salaries around the region.

The downside is increased prices of houses, renting, services, etc. That being said, I just think this level of development in the west would be amazing If this is announced, I will be on Daft that day for any and all cheap houses I can purchase!

Apparently we are up against Germany. I have been to Germany a few times with Intel at various sites (They bought a part of Infineon a few years ago) and they do have vast tracks of land. The downside for Germany is that salaries are high across the board, very tough to find skilled labour (Hard to see how it's that much easier here) and higher corporate tax plus social security.

Can I see it happening? I am hopeful but have concerns around the power and water availability of the site. Intel in Leixlip used 1.7 million m3 of water in the last four months. For reference, Boston Scientific in Galway used 100,000 m3 of water in the whole of 2010. Semiconductor manufacturing uses a crazy amount of water. That is an absolutely monumental amount of water and, if I am not mistaken, a previous pharma company had to pull out of coming to Oranmore after they could not get a supply of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

And the answer to that question is....there isn't enough houses in Leixlip. Leixlip itself is a shithole yet house prices are higher than a lot of Dublin.

There's not enough houses anywhere in Ireland because during the aftermath of the crash we stopped building houses.

Why are people still acting like it's 2012 and that we're desperate for jobs. Do the people here not realise the chronic shortage of employees at the moment and that there was pre covid? My friend is an engineer in a MNC and basically doubled his salary in under 2 years through job hopping. MNCs can't find the workers they need.

If you think that's a good thing because wages go up, I wouldn't agree that's a good thing. All that does is drive property up and up.

You're talking about nearly 450k for a new 3 bed semi in leixlip at the moment. Leixlip is a dump with nothing in it.

Ultimately I don't see Intel selecting Oranmore as the location but you never know. The IDA suck them off so much. Trickle down economics at its best.

With the massive amount of water that drains the corrib each day, surely a water supply shouldnt be that much of an issue.

IIRC, intel filter their own water in and out - so its probably cleaner going out than it is on the way in. Be uproar though from the usual suspects, the idea of a MNC sucking water out of the corrib would make them lose their sh*t

• Advertisement

This is a very "Im Alright Jack" type of mentality

You have a job, so we shouldnt look to secure any new ones - what about future generations? Don't you want your children/grandchildren to have a chance of getting a good job? Because pulling up the ladder as you advocate is a big f*ck you to the younger generations

The pharma problem with the water was the quality, not the quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Oranmore is beside the sea. Shouldn't be a big problem to build a link to it and a filtration plant if it secures anywhere near the number of jobs quoted

I think it's you who has the "I'm alright jack" mentality.

Do you care about your daughter or son actually being able to afford a home in the future?

This isn't jobs for 30 years down the line, this is jobs in the next few years. They're not going to leave those jobs unfilled to wait for your daughter to grow up and then give a job. The jobs will get filled by immigrants and they'll be pushing up property prices like they have done in leixlip and Dublin.

From the limited research I have conducted, I don't believe Intel conducts any desalination of seawater. This is entirely possible but it takes a massive amount of electricity, which would probably make the plant unviable relative to another site with adequate fresh water.

A quick search reveals that 3kwh/m3 is the going power consumption these days for desalination. If we presume all water is from the sea, that is 3*1.7 million so 5,100,000 kwh every 4 months. At 13.26cent/kwh ("Electricity prices for industries with an annual consumption between 500 and 2,000 megawatt-hours stood at 13.26 euro cents per kilowatt hours."), that is 670k euro or 2.01 million in yearly electricity costs just for desalination. Obviously, this is not including the huge capital layout for setting up such a desalination plant.

Where do they get the water for the Leixlip plant?

Ahh, so its an anti immigrants angle you're pushing. You shouldve just said so from the beginning and stopped hiding behind housing price concerns

From the Liffery through Kildate CoCo. In 2013 this appeared to be the case - ''The Leixlip Water Treatment Works in Co. Kildare is the second largest water treatment facility in Ireland. With a capacity of 175,000 m3 a day''

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

Advertisement