Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel shortlists site in Galway for major plant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Probably better of without it, this would have drawn to much attention anyway. Wasn't vestager saying recently about enticing companies with encentives. And yeah I know every country does it...but these companies including Intel get tax relief on tangible assets by investing here and then with all the other tax breaks.

The first test of the global minimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So what if they get tax breaks they provide well paid jobs.

Do you remember what Galway was like before all those American companies came there?

They are providing employment for thousands and those workers in turn are spending their money in the city.

I imagine the odds for Galway being picked are limited but the IDA wouldn't be doing their job well if they didn't make a realistic pitch.

You managed to see that post, but not the second one I made a few posts further on, figures

Also, I fully supported this, but that possibly flew by you too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It was always a long shot that Galway would be picked, it would have been a massive boost to the west of Ireland, however, for Intel it makes more sense to build in mainland Europe and not to be too dependent on a small country like Ireland. Also it was it was likely to go to the country that could give the best incentives, we wouldn't be able to compete with Germany on that front. I think there was an element too of the government putting this idea out there to show they were trying to develop the west, but, realistically they knew it was unlikely to happen. It'll be interesting to see if anything gets developed on the site now.

Reading back on the thread and people wondering where we could possibly get a water supply if Intel had chosen Oranmore made me laugh; Lough Corrib the largest lake in the Republic is a short distance away so wouldn't take a lot to get a supply from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The water issue is a bigger one that you'd think however ultimately there were a few things going for the German site. As some stated earlier twas more of an attempt to plamas the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It was definitely an attempt to plamas the west, if a site near Dublin had been earmarked I think there would have been more effort put in to get it, but, they probably knew Ireland was never really in the running so just spun into trying to get investment to the West of Ireland. No way would Galway have got the nod ahead of a site closer to Dublin if there was a genuine chance of it coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Actually our incentives are pretty good and can easily compete with Germany...

As for Water we win hands down... Ireland has 8 times more fresh water than Germany... This is one of big advantages, we have multiple times more fresh liquid water 365 days of the year than most mainland Europe...

I think the scale of it was on the high side...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

We're short of jobs now are we?

Some people act like we're in the depths of the recession.

Jobs are no good if you can't find anywhere to live or pay 50% of your wages on rent!

If Galway was chosen, property prices would rise 20% basically overnight. And 50% longer term.

Go have a look at what Intel have done to property prices around the area in Leixlip, which is 30km from Dublin city!

Kilcock, which is basically a village 15 minutes drive away is selling 3 bed houses for 410k.

Leixlip itself is a dump, yet is selling 3 bed semi's for 450k

I heard Intel advertising jobs the other week on the radio.

Until housing and transport is actually at reasonable prices, it makes no sense to be putting more pressure on them when we'd have to import people to fill these jobs.

• Advertisement

Anyone who wants a good job can get one.

Labour shortages are only good for the skilled who get higher and higher wages.

We do not need more jobs. Jobs available now aren't able to be filled!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Couldn't agree more, there's absolutely nothing in Leixlip or Maynooth and both have outrageous house prices these days due to Intel.

Yes they're commuter towns but they're utterly depressing kips.

It's scary the things people are willing to accept just for some more jobs when current job openings can't be filled as it is! People still have the 2008 mentality.

Kilcock, 15 minutes west of Leixlip. It has a population of 6,000 people.

Yet, 3 bed semi's are being sold for 410k. 4 beds are starting at 475k and increasing.

On the outskirts of Kilcock there's a massive housing estate, called Millerstown. Been there a few years at this stage. It's selling new houses all the time, for same price point. And the funny thing is it's on a flood plain! Yet people are still throwing nearly half a milly to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am not aware of a river in Kilcock... i thought just the canal....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As someone living in Leixlip, I would contest what you've said. Leixlip is not 30km from Dublin. By road, it is under 20km to O'Connell St.

As for property prices, I'm sure if you look in every village around Ireland, you'll see expensive housing. However, Leixlip does also have 3 and 4 bed properties under €400k. Price-wise it is cheaper than the likes of Lucan which is way over-subscribed for pretty much everything. From what i can tell, it is cheaper simply because of the change in county. Whilst Intel's presence may have helped strengthen property prices in Leixlip, the current prices are more based on supply and demand (as they are with the rest of the country).

Amenity-wise, there is plenty in Leixlip including excellent transport links (adjacent to M4 and close to M3 & M50, two train stations, bus routes going N, S, E & W) and if you want to be really anal about it is within walking distance of Weston Airport. There are also loads of social outlets there (pubs, restaurants and cafes). And so on.

By all means, if you think Intel would have had a negative impact on Galway, explain your thoughts but don't make stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nothing been build in Galway in dozen years, 

This is not correct. Some significant estates have been built in Roscam and the Monivea Rd. Others under construction in the Old Ballybane Rd, Monivea Rd, Knocknacarra. And likely more I don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The river in the video is the Ryewater (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Rye_(Ireland)) - it runs parallel to the canal at that point, and largely follows the county boundary from west of Kilcock to inside the Carton Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Very true, Newcastle - new housing and apartments West of Gaelcarraig Park , Letteragh Road, Rahoon lots of housing and apartments as well, not to mention commercial area's like Parkmore East, Bonham Quay, Crowne Plaza site. Galway City has been growing population wise even during the crash years.

Yes you're right, 20km to O'Connell street but anywhere north or south and you'd need the m50 and you'd be nearing 30km.

Saggart is a comparable town to Leixlip, albeit with a much better transit option with the Luas. Similar distance to Dublin city centre, and property prices are much more reasonable. For example, here's a nice sized 1 bed apartment in Saggart up for 180k.

Meanwhile, to get anything similar in Leixlip will cost around 35k more.

There's also 3 times as many properties for sale in Saggart right now as there is for Leixlip. Tells you all you need to know.

You're really listing motorways as amenities? Everyone goes to Leixlip to work and then they leave. People born there don't even want to live there, they grow up and buy in nearby towns. It's an industry town. Warehouses, garages, sheds etc.

• Advertisement

You can build houses but unless the supply of houses reduces demand the prices don't drop.

There have probably been close to 100k houses built in Ireland in the last 5 years and the prices are only going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Saggart is not remotely comparable to Leixlip.

Saggart is on the far side of Tallaght/Jobstown, and is far smaller than Leixlip.

Leixlip is on the liffey, better rail links, far more industry, close to Maynooth etc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Saggart had a population in the 2016 census of 3133 whereas Leixlip was five times that at 15504. The two are very different towns and the attempts to compare them are daft. Leixlip is predominantly semi-D housing and, unlike Saggart, does not have many apartments so it would be no surprise to see next to none on sale.

As for amenities, my point (badly worded) was that it has the amenities (which I won't list off as it would be a decent sized list) and it also has excellent transport links. However, your claim that people born there don't even want to live there is stupid. I could equally argue that many people who were born here cannot live here simply because of demand. I managed to outbid several other bidders for my current house, most of whom apparently were locals wanting to stay here.

As for your last sentence, about it being "warehouses, garages and sheds etc", I honestly have no idea what you are referring to. There are a few places on the E & W outskirts of the town but blink and you'd miss them. Quite the opposite to Saggart which is bounded by Citywest, Baldonnel Business Park and to the north of the N7 you've the various complexes as you approach Newcastle.

So I get back to my original two points refuting your original claims: Leixlip is not a kip and the property prices there reflect the overall fecked up market and are not overly influenced by the presence of Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I have to disagree - having lived in Maynooth & Leixlip the last 10 years and recently moved to Galway. Intel is of course bound to be a factor but still not the reason that house prices have gone through the roof: it's all supply and demand. You've got Dublin people who are having to come out that far for something affordable yet connected, which is adding to the competition for locals trying to get homes, and everybody's getting pushed further and further out. Renting is the same, at any given time there's generally a couple of houses to rent out of 30-odd housing estates. People in Leixlip certainly don't think it's a dump. You've got 2 train stations and the DART expansion coming, lots of bus routes, 2 big parks on each end of town, 2 GAA clubs, the amenities centre and canal. Aldi/Lidl/Supervalu and the big tesco in Maynooth. You can see from the flags during summer GAA season that it's full of blow-ins from the west, people love it as it's got a small town feel and is handy for the road west but you can be in Liffey Valley in 10 mins or less. Basically just to say, demand in Leixlip is more based on it being so family friendly, than on Intel, and the housing market was going to crap well before Intel started its massive expansion.

Regardless, adding more employment without adding to the supply of housing is just awful planning and frankly irresponsible. It's hard to believe that living in a city like it, the like of the Help To Buy scheme is just absolutely pointless cos there's hardly any new builds about. I have a house deposit pretty much ready to go but scrolling through Daft is just grim at the moment. It's a disgraceful situation and really, we should be out protesting like we did with the water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I agree it is a difficult situation but....For me we should have been protesting 5/5 years ago against cuckoo/vulture funds buying up properties that were built i expect as homes when at the planning stage. I have said this here before and was told there was no stipulation in planning but if there is not there should be... There is little point inprotesting unless we can force local authorities./nama to develop houses for our people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

10,000 jobs for robot AI overlords !

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Well who would have thought it - Intel decide not to invest in a country like Ireland without a reliable power supply due to Green virtue signalling, as well a planning system that allows every crank in the country to object cost free.

On a side note the old East Germany is getting a lot of high profile investment these days. Tesla has a massive factory in Brandenburg. VW are investing massively in electric cars there.

That's the first time I've ever heard someone call the autobahn a bypass

• Advertisement

Advertisement