Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2021 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Ulster football getting stronger every year at present.

Id fancy Tyrone, donegal, Armagh and Monaghan to give anyone a game.

cavan and down a bit further behind them then you’ve Fermanagh and Antrim.

the other 3 provinces haven’t more than 2 real decent teams in them. Leinster maybe with Kildare as 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I was watching match of the day 2 and reckon O’Shea needed to do exactly what Luakaka did on his first goal yday. Composure. Not Culture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The GAA will be slow to get rid of it. It is only making the stronger teams stronger. Until enough counties opt for a Senior, Intermediate and junior system as in Camogie, ladies football and hurling we are left with this load of crap

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There are you see, there is still one "cycle" of them left

Now I know there are plans for a revamped championship due to be presented some time soon but whether they will be accepted or implemented for next year I'm not sure

So if the COVID situation is good wee could well see the last "cycle" of Super 8 games next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Since it's all over I'm just quoting my own OP to review it.

I certainly did not see Tyrone winning it, but what was equally surprising to me was the Dublin decline.

I though they still had the strength in depth to keep going.

Kerry once again failed to deliver, they had an even better chance this year with Dublin gone before their SF but they failed to take it.

Fair play to Tyrone, it was a huge win for them.

I did not expect Mayo to get out of Connacht, much less to beat Dublin, but the old failings came back to haunt them.

The likes of Galway and Donegal have a lot of thinking to do over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh, funny. If a reference in the Daily Mirror is sufficient to say that O'Shea won one half of one All-Ireland final against Fenton is sufficient to salve your wounds, well done.

Fenton, Murphy, MacAuley, even David Moran, they are all streets ahead of O'Shea. He is probably the player who most flattered to deceive over all my decades of watching Gaelic Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That curse thing is a load of crap in my opinion but by Jaysus do the Mayo players believe it.

If they were there yet and scored four penalties they’d still find a way to lose. It’s in their heads.

They may hire hitman to get rid of those two survivors.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,087 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The culture isn't right in the Mayo team, and O'Shea and the O'Connor brothers have been at the heart of that poor culture.

What's the problem with the O'Connors? Cillian in particular seems to be exactly the kind of guy you'd want on a team looking to win an All-Ireland.

• Advertisement

The man who missed a kick to win the All-Ireland in 2017?

The O'Connor brothers have earned a reputation, quite correctly, for losing their discipline when the game is in the balance, but going against Mayo. Diarmuid was at it again on Saturday with a stupid foul on Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Agreed , always though there was a nasty edge to both of them , particularly when they’re losing which is conveniently glossed over by the pro Mayo media.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,346 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was not that Dublin were in decline that surprised me, signs were there. But it was the speed of decline, and how now they are much easier to play against. Loads of that side to side passing no direct running, no plan B, not many options to change the pace. No movement, it used to be great interchanges everywhere. Now it is near constant static side to side stuff.

Ok, I get it for a few short bursts but not for really long spells. But Gaelic football is not soccer, constant 'keep ball' does not win games. It was/is really frustrating to watch. I can't wait until one of the players write a book and tell us if it was part of Dessie's plan? Or if it was simply because the players were not able to play the previous way anymore? And they were unable to implement it so took the lazy/easy option?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Dublin were lucky last year ( mind you you make your own luck to an extent) in that Mayo, Cavan and Tipp won there prespective provincial championships and there was no back door. As well th break after suspension of the league may have helped as well

When a team has too many over 30 year olds on the team it declines very fast. IMO 26-28 is peak for GAA players, they decline after that and past 30 the decline is exponential especially if you have won by a bit.

Then you have that Dean Rock while a great freetaker was never the greatest contributor elsewhere in the game. Yes if you got him into space and gave him the ball he would put it over the bar. Since 2018 his contribution elsewhere in the game dropped (similar to Bryan Sheahan of Kerry when his contribution dropped off)

Having to move James McCarthy from mid field this year did not help either but it was immaterial IMO unless they could find 3-4 players. It is interesting that only Fenton if there 5 listed midfielder's started the Mayo game. SYou also had players like Fenton and Kilkenny coming off there prime.

You have to as well factor in some players that come or are coming into the team like Byrne, McDaid, Costello, are 26/27, if they were not good enough 2-3 years ago what makes them good enough now. Depending on subs that are 34 years of age Philly and Kevin M, is not helpful either. There is a lot of player on the Dublin panel 25, 26, and 27 years of age that have never started championship games.

2019 people forget Dublin had a buy in the final game and fielded a weakened team in the last S8 game against Tyrone. This would definitely have saved legs for the 2029 final. Admittedly 4 weeks is a long break but with an older experienced team I would take it.

As I said you make you own luck by taking the chances given but during 2019/20 seasons they got a bit of the rub off the relic

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not buying the talk of a massive decline by Dublin.

They lost to Mayo in extra time in an All Ireland semi. They can't win it every year. Any year they'd get beaten they were going to be seen as in a decline. Their team on paper is still the best in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

On paper? On paper Mayo were favourites saturday. On paper Mayo “had the better team”.

on paper means sweet FA unless you’ve the guile, brains, drive, hunger and determination to do it.

on paper Kerry’s forward line was insurmountable for any defence this year, well, we saw how that panned out.

dublin will be back, not in decline either in my opinion, but on paper they’ve a lot to do, they’re already carrying the bookies favourite tag to win Sam next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Well it does when it is exactly what we were disagreeing about. He was probably the best player on the field in the first half of the game. Wasnt in it as much in the second but that was as much down to cluxton kicking everything away from him as anything else. The point is, he clearly has in fact performed well in all ireland finals. Im sure you will be wheeling out the same disproven argument again though, which says more about yourself than anything else.

But David moran and Fenton are probably the two best midfielders of their generation though. He still managed to outplay fenton at times, as we seen above. Mcauley isnt a better player. Oshea was probably third behind them.

Would you say murphy is better than fenton?

Crazy when you think about it. Joe brolly; a slightly above average corner forward, criticises cillian oconnor ; the highest scoring player ever, and also a far superior corner forward. Why would anyone take that seriously? He cant criticise his play or his scoring return, so he has to go with more wishy washy, disprovable stuff. More fool those who take him seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,346 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Brolly always goes with who is winning and lauds them to the hilt, recent years first Donegal, then Dublin, Now Tyrone I assume? And says things like you have to have 'a bit of craic with it'. The fella is a pantomime and does so for attention. The fella thrives on attention same when he was a player, same now as a 'pundit'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chippyd67

Joe Brolly has scored two points in Croke park in championship football in his career not as much as a lot of goalkeepers.

• Advertisement

Joe Brolly has a Celtic Cross. He played at a time when there was no back door and no secod chance. At that time no team came out of Ulster two year's years in a row at the time he won an all Ireland. They beat Down who won in 1991&1994, Dublin who won in 1995 and a Cork team that had won in 1989 and 1990. He won 4 national leagure and two all stars. So do not that to demean what he achieved. He got one chance at winning a Celtic Cross in a final he took it. That was a right good Derry team they were unlucky not to win at least one more. Probably the best team of The 90's where Down were the only team to win two titles.

Ya he can be a spoofer, but like Pat Spillane and Colm O Rourke he can afford to be. They have the medals to back up there chat

Slava Ukrainii

He has a Celtic Cross after one final which is more than the complete Mayo Panels have after 6 attempts in the last ten years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,697 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Celtic crosses don't mean you are not a useless pundit though and Brolly is proof of that for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The Dubs will need to improve their bench options if they want to regain Sam. I'm not convinced about Dessie Farrell as manager either he's always been prone to lose games they were expected to win. He was manager when Dublins star studded minors in 2011 and U21s in 2013 lost to Longford and Tipperary.

Where it counts, Joe has won an All-Ireland medal, none of the Mayo panel have.

It goes much deeper than the bench, they need to bring at least 3 new player's into the team next year presently I do not see th.on the bench. Add sorting the bench to that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭corny

If the stories are to be believed Dublin might need to a few team building exercises to get back on track.

Normally the talk goes in one ear and out the other but you would have to question what you saw of them last month. Nervousness, petulance and a lack of fight are not characteristics you'd associate with the team. Add in Cluxton and other lads walking away... it doesn't paint a rosy picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Mayo was favourites because they beat Dublin and weren't playing Kerry in the final.

On paper I'm not so sure Mayo was better than Tyrone. Mayo as a team are about strength, fitness and conditioning and the question before the game was could Tyrone match that? And they most certainly did.

Lets analyse that. He won an all ireland as part of a group of 23 or so. A new group win it every year. Some never see any meaningful gametime.

How does any of that make him knowledgeable? Furthermore, how does that put him in a position to criticise the guy who has scored more than anyone, anywhere, ever, in the all ireland football championship, both in one season and in all seasons combined. He also won the young player of the year, of which there is only one each year - twice.

Fair enough oconnor never won an all ireland, so far anyway, but he has done a shedload of things that literally nobody else has in the game. It is like comparing brian deane favourably to alan shearer, on the basis that he won a league and shearer didnt. It is actually idiotic.

• Advertisement

Several have all ireland medals actually. Minor, u 21 and club. Some have several. So now they are superior to brolly, right?

Advertisement